cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Z170 HERO Issue with ROG Front Base Panel

S4MBO
Level 7
Hi first of all is there anyone out there who can confirm whether or not the Z170 Hero is supposed to be 100% compatible with the ROG Front Base Panel?

If it is I'm having an issue where my front base panel is displaying some information correctly (CPU Freq, Current fan speed and MB and CPU temp), although the clock is only displaying flashing lines and none of the functions actually work at all (i.e. the fan/vol/OC control or the minimise function)

So far to trouble shoot I have updated the bios to the latest non beta version and uninstalled and reinstalled the ROG connect software. Would anyone know what to do to fix this? I'm not too concerned about the function stuff although I'd really like the system clock to display correctly as that is the most annoying seeing all dashes instead of the time. 😞
12 REPLIES 12

S4MBO
Level 7
I can't believe I did get any responses 😞 anyway I managed to sort it out and thought I'd post it up here in case anyone else had a similar issue.
This is what I did to get it working...

Uninstall the rog connect driver
Install the firmware update (which now worked without crashing)
Re-install the rog connect and now it all works 🙂

Menthol
Level 14
S4MBO,
Not a lot of users have a front base and Z170 is still a new platform, thank you very much for coming back to explain your fix

Hi S4AMBO,

I'm having the same issue with my Z170. I've tried uninstalling connect but I still get the install crash / error every time. Are you able to give me a but more detail on how you got yours working at all?

Thanks,

pilotguy wrote:
Hi S4AMBO,

I'm having the same issue with my Z170. I've tried uninstalling connect but I still get the install crash / error every time. Are you able to give me a but more detail on how you got yours working at all?

Thanks,

I think I got lucky TBH cause I'm getting a similar issue again after losing power to the unit...

I lost power to my front base and I happened to be doing a clean install of windows 10 at the same time, now I can not seem to get the panel to reconnect to the system successfully I've tried re-installing the front base driver/FW but it keeps hanging. The connect drivers install and uninstall fine though. Any ideas? I've tried both the 101.15 & 101.17 both do the same thing. I even reinstalled windows again and yet still same problem

One thing that really ****s me is if both the front panel drivers & connect drivers are required to get this going why the hell not have them in one setup file???

Pull your socks up ASUS these ROG products are meant to be premium products that work not some 2 bit knock off junk!!

...I'm still waiting a fix for this FW software to stop crashing/hanging and hoping ASUS release a fix soon cause this is ridiculous!

I managed to make mine work doing this:

1.installed audio from MB disc
2.installed ai suite 3 from MB disc
3.installed firmware v48 + driver
4.DO NOT INSTALL ROG CONNECT DRIVER AT ANY TIME (this is what breaks the front base installation - dont know why)

i didn't use the q-connector, but instead i directly connected the front base to the rog_extension'

hope that helps

PS mine was v44 according to sticker on the back when i took it out of the box

ReaperXFS wrote:
I managed to make mine work doing this:

1.installed audio from MB disc
2.installed ai suite 3 from MB disc
3.installed firmware v48 + driver
4.DO NOT INSTALL ROG CONNECT DRIVER AT ANY TIME (this is what breaks the front base installation - dont know why)

i didn't use the q-connector, but instead i directly connected the front base to the rog_extension'

hope that helps

PS mine was v44 according to sticker on the back when i took it out of the box

OMG!!!! THIS WORKED FOR ME TOO!!! THANK YOU SOO MUCH FOR SHARING!!!!! 😉

Seriously ASUS WTF?!? we have to do the opposite to what your manual says to do to get this to work, come on!

S4MBO wrote:
Seriously ASUS WTF?!? we have to do the opposite to what your manual says to do to get this to work, come on!

That would not be unusual since the manual for the Front Base was written at least a year before the 100 series chipset was released. New hardware, new processes. Thankfully ASUS maintains this forum so fringe issues like this can be sorted by a community. Glad it got sorted out. 😉