cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G750JH charging problem

jjrdoherty
Level 7
Hello all,
I purchased the laptop new when they dropped, roughly 2 years ago. I have loved this thing intensely since then and treated it very well, but recently I've had power issues. The laptop(plugged in) will sometimes charge, others not. When it is plugged in and charge correctly, and I load up a pretty heavy game (gw2 for example), the charging will start to go in and out randomly. This causes the screen brightness to go up and down and my FPS to go from around 60 to less than 10.

I've called ASUS support, and the guy I talked to told me to buy a new battery. I took it to GeekSquad and they told me to buy a new ccharger brick. I'm concerned that it may be neither of these, and that my power jack port is detaching from the motherboard.

Anyone else had this issue? Suggestions? Thoughts?

Thanks for your time
7 REPLIES 7

Corporal
Level 9
I think it's the power jack port. Check if charging stops when you move the plug around. If so, buy a replacement port.

Corporal wrote:
I think it's the power jack port. Check if charging stops when you move the plug around. If so, buy a replacement port.

This is what I thought. When I apply pressure to one side of the plug while it's in the port, it will sometimes start charging again. Asus quoted me $160 with shipping/parts/labor to replace this. Does that sound reasonable? I am in no way qualified to replace this part myself if it involves soldering.

I've already ordered a replacement OEM charger brick from ASUS as well. Thinking about waiting to see if that solves my problem, and if not ship it in to them.

Darnassus
Status Under Review
Got some isopropyl alcohol or any sort of cleaning agent for electronics? Windex could be a desperate alternative.

Anyhow, just grab a pipecleaner or any sort of brush that can fit inside, dip it in cleaning agent and push it into the charging port and clean the contact area. Go around and everything, and inside the charging plug on the cable, too. Of course do this with both the machine turned off, and the cord unplugged.

Give it around 30 mins to dry before using. Unless you've used isopropyl which will evaporate in 30 seconds.

If you're into electronics, these are your best friends.

http://vibrantadventure.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/PipeCleaners.jpg

Corporal
Level 9
Asus quoted me $160 with shipping/parts/labor to replace this. Does that sound reasonable?

No, it's completely unreasonable.

Buy a new power jack, then solder it yourself or pay someone to solder it for you. It's a big part, therefore soldering isn't as difficult as you think.
ebay . de/itm/DC-Power-Jack-Plug-Socket-For-ASUS-G750-G750JW-G750J-G750JX-G750JS-G750JH-G750JZ-/121663855608?hash=item1c53bb1bf8

Darnassus
Status Under Review
If you solder it on yourself. Make sure you get the right one. Some models have the PIN in reverse. My pin is inside the laptop. Yours might not be.

Below are examples.

AND MOST OF COURSE..

Make sure it fits into your charger before soldering it in.. and possibly check with a volt meter if power actually travels through.

Wow. Just wow i happen to have the exact same Model and i have the exact same problem, how ever i still have warranty left!.

Mine starts to behave strangely when its under alot of stress. then it stops recharging.

agemennon675
Level 7
Its been years now but I have the exact same model and having this issue and its happening more frequintly than ever laptop suddenly goes on battery only even its physcally plugged in only while gaming. First I thought it was the cable or the jack but I cant charge it 24Hrs and have no problem if I never play a game but the thing is I do play a lot and this is a gaming laptop after all, then I thought switching the charger/adapter to see if its that but then why would it work if its broken, its only failing while gaming then sometimes 2-3 hrs later sometimes 10secs sometimes 30mins later goes back to normal and starts charging please help, and sorry for the language bad explanation