cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with my ASUS G75VW Win7 Recovery Disks after upgrading to Win10

Zimic
Level 7
Hey guys,

I have a G75VW that I had upgraded to Windows 10. After having a few issues with compatibility, I decided to downgrade back to windows 7 via my ASUS Recovery Disks I made for my laptop. I have used them in the past one other time, which is why it's weird now they aren't working. After the recovery process reaches 100% and the computer restarts, my HDD is not recognized in the bios as a bootable option, but is recognized in the SATA config. I am recovering the OEM 750 GB drive that came with the computer, I have also tried using a different HDD and it has the same issue. I have a feeling its my recovery disks, but at the same time they have worked flawlessly in the past, I just want to make sure before I drop $50 on new recovery disks from ASUS, and if there is any other workarounds.

Thanks in advance!
2 REPLIES 2

Pandur
Level 10
Make sure your bios is configured with the correct settings for fast boot, secure boot and CSM.

My guess would be to disable fast boot, secure boot and enable CSM for Windows 7. But the important part is to have them set like it was when you made the disks.
Asus ROG G55VW:
CPU: i7 3630QM
GFX: Geforce GTX660M with 2GB ram
RAM: 2x8Gb 2133MHz Kingston HyperX Impact (surprisingly the G55VW uses the 2133 X.M.P. profile)
Storage: RAID0 with 2x 256Gb Crucial SSDs (both msata, one in a sata adapter)

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
Zimic wrote:
Hey guys,

I have a G75VW that I had upgraded to Windows 10. After having a few issues with compatibility, I decided to downgrade back to windows 7 via my ASUS Recovery Disks I made for my laptop. I have used them in the past one other time, which is why it's weird now they aren't working. After the recovery process reaches 100% and the computer restarts, my HDD is not recognized in the bios as a bootable option, but is recognized in the SATA config. I am recovering the OEM 750 GB drive that came with the computer, I have also tried using a different HDD and it has the same issue. I have a feeling its my recovery disks, but at the same time they have worked flawlessly in the past, I just want to make sure before I drop $50 on new recovery disks from ASUS, and if there is any other workarounds.

Thanks in advance!

Might be too late for this case, but for others upgrading to Win10, don't forget you have 30 days after upgrading to 'go back' to your original OS (as long as you don't reset, refresh, or do other things to erase your go back option), so something else to keep in mind if you don't want to continue using Win10.
Inside Windows just look under the update and recovery option for the choice to 'go back'.

Actually, if your factory recovery partition is still intact, you can also try to reinstall (everything will be erased though and Windows will be like when you first bought the notebook) it using the 'reset' option if you can get to it, but the recovery disks may have erased it in this case.

Pandur wrote:
Make sure your bios is configured with the correct settings for fast boot, secure boot and CSM.

My guess would be to disable fast boot, secure boot and enable CSM for Windows 7. But the important part is to have them set like it was when you made the disks.

Yes, agree with trying Pandur's suggestion if you cannot 'go back' anymore.
If you have a Windows boot disk around, you may also want to try to deleting all the Win10 partitions before using the recovery disks, but don't forget to try the suggestions above first to solve it without recovery disks.

Check the FAQ below too about getting to the Windows Recovery Environment or Advanced Startup screens when you cannot boot to Win10.
http://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/1013799/

Good luck!