cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another possibility for installing an SSD in the 2nd Bay.

FalloutBoy
Level 7
This is not the best example as it's got a big box to stick the M.2 into but I though this might be another possibility to install a 2nd
SSD in the first bay and keep them from heating each other up. If the new SSD is short enough this might fit in at the end esp if you
remove the 2nd SSD's casing.

Deleted first URL for some reason grabbed a sata extender duh but this one is right.
M2-M2280-FLEX

http://www.adexelec.com/m2.htm

I am looking for a better example with - with a bit of luck a slightly longer cable.
I truly believe that there are people on this planet who should voluntarily remove them selves from the gene pool.
Maximus IV Extreme Z/16G/2600K, Rampage V Extreme Edition 10/32G/6900K, G751JY-T7042H
Zenith Extreme Alpha/64G/2950x , X399 Prime A/32G/1900X
Power Mad Mu ha ha ha
3 REPLIES 3

joshindaphils
Level 11
The description seams to imply this is a SATA only solution.... how sure are you that this will actually work? Additionally if it did work, I don't see what benefit there would be to using this over stock mounting.. the adapter still protrudes into the drive bay and you still have to place the drive.

joshindaphils wrote:
The description seams to imply this is a SATA only solution.... how sure are you that this will actually work? Additionally if it did work, I don't see what benefit there would be to using this over stock mounting.. the adapter still protrudes into the drive bay and you still have to place the drive.

The second unit is M2-M2280-FLEX which is M.2 I must have grabbed the wrong one on the initial post - thanks - edited and removed 1st link,
but this was just one or two examples I had looking quickly.

My thought process was take out the M.2 SSD cut the mount in half and rotate the mount 180 degrees and put the M.2 on the cable extender and
attach to the mount at the end of an installed 2.5 inch SATA III drive, the idea was to keep the two apart as apparently M.2's get quite hot if
subjected to sufficient load.
I truly believe that there are people on this planet who should voluntarily remove them selves from the gene pool.
Maximus IV Extreme Z/16G/2600K, Rampage V Extreme Edition 10/32G/6900K, G751JY-T7042H
Zenith Extreme Alpha/64G/2950x , X399 Prime A/32G/1900X
Power Mad Mu ha ha ha

aeolisio
Level 10
FalloutBoy wrote:
This is not the best example as it's got a big box to stick the M.2 into but I though this might be another possibility to install a 2nd
SSD in the first bay and keep them from heating each other up. If the new SSD is short enough this might fit in at the end esp if you
remove the 2nd SSD's casing.

Deleted first URL for some reason grabbed a sata extender duh but this one is right.
M2-M2280-FLEX

http://www.adexelec.com/m2.htm

I am looking for a better example with - with a bit of luck a slightly longer cable.

You might take the 5 minutes to call them at (949) 597-1772
before you make a thread. The unit is $62.50 and then add shipping to that. Not to mention your going to have to tweak that flex cable and as anyone who has actually worked with extender ribbons can tell you it increases errors reduces performance slightly and can cause compatibility issues. Seems like your trying to reinvent the wheel to me but good luck.
3d printed parts and accessories for the G751. You know you want something better than OEM ->https://www.shapeways.com/shops/aeolisio[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]