cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Do You Spread 'Em or Not?"

Hardliner
Level 11
CPU's and Thermal Paste
When it comes to pasting CPU's, I am NOT a spreader; even on the huge die of the 2011-v3 socket. Since it is so big, though, I do make the glob about two-thirds the size of a pea instead of just the smaller rice grain sized hump.

I am curious what the veterans of this forum choose to do with their paste: Do you just plop it down and call it good or do you play with it?
¡¡¡ I__ju$₮__₩₳₦₮__₮☮__₱£₳¥__₮h€__₲₳₥€__₩i₮h☮u₮__i₮__hi₵₵u₱i₦₲,__₱l€₳$€ !!!
10 REPLIES 10

Hardliner
Level 11
Hmmph! I guess everyone here eats the paste instead. Does it get you high or something?

Nate152
I spread em' and play with it. 😄

Reason being, with the dot, X, heart method you don't know if the whole cpu, gpu is covered.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?43207-TIM-spread-or-dot

Hardliner
Level 11
Are getting air bubbles with the spread method not a concern for you?

Nate152
Nope, you won't get air bubbles but if you don't get it a nice thin even layer the block can have gaps in between it and the cpu. Take your time when doing it and you will be rewarded with good temps. Let me show you my overclock and this is using the spread method. I've been running my cpu (3770k) at 5.0GHz for the past 6 months with no problems. Click the picture a couple times to make it bigger so you can read it.

Korth
Level 14
I check photos of de-lidded CPUs to determine the layout of cores, uncore controllers, cache, and other "hot" areas. If I'm using a thick TIM like AS5 then I heat it up a bit (let the tube sit in very hot water for a few minutes). I spread thin "rice grain" lines above the "hottest" areas and slide/scrape it evenly (about 1 mil thick, maybe) across the entire IHS with a razor blade. I sometimes also scrape a layer across the base of the heatsink, if my TIM seems runny. I let it sit and settle for some hours or a day, and of course most TIMs have a curing period (of up to a week or more) before best thermal performance is realized. I've never had any bubbles, voids, or bad temps. The idea is to use the absolute minimum possible while still getting complete coverage on the mating surfaces, too little is better than too much. I ensure all surfaces are absolutely chemically/mechanically clean, not a trace of dust, residue, or fingerprint oil. I haven't honed and lapped a CPU or heatsink in years, but some people swear it helps - beware that some CPU/heatsink geometries are deliberately designed to not be flat and sometimes this means things don't really fit properly and a "compatible" cooler will be mismatched. Gelid GC Extreme, Prolimatek PK-1, and good old Arctic Silver 5 are my TIMs of choice (depends on application, mostly). A lot of people swear by IC Diamond, Tuniq, and Thermene, but I've had decidedly mediocre experiences with them. Indigo XTreme and Coollaboratory Ultra are superior to any paste TIMs, but often require several (expensive) applications for best results, are a serious pain to scrub off, and usually aren't compatible with the sorts of big air coolers I prefer.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Nate152
I haven't tried any of the thermal compounds you listed but the one I'm going with next is the Gelid Solutions GC Extreme. What I have now is bitspower thermal compound that came with motherboard blocks years ago. It's old compound, it was pretty stiff and hard to spread but if it works I'll use it. 🙂

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Gelid_Solutions/GC-Extreme/4.html

Hardliner
Level 11
My EK CPU/MOBO Monoblock came with Gelid Solutions GC Extreme. Since the 2011-v3 die is sooo big, I am actually considering the possibility of spreading it . . . and it seems to make my heart palpitate when even just considering it. . ..

The online directions I found for installing the monoblock show the guy not spreading it, but when he took it back off after benchmarking with it, he saw that it did not cover the die completely, but then he just said that he should have put more on it.

Nate152
Yeah and if you put too much on, it will gush out the sides, if you don't put enough (like he did) the whole cpu doesn't get covered and affects cpu temps.

This is why I prefer the spread method.

When you order a tube of the gelids compound it comes with a spreader, they know the best way to do it. 🙂

http://www.amazon.com/Gelid-Solutions-GC-Extreme-Compound-TC-GC-03-A/dp/B002P5W4RU

Hardliner
Level 11
This General Discussion category is being HEAVILY spammed at 2:20 AM CST, September 30, 2015. Need a moderator to ban "molviji0009".