cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G75VW RAM upgrade with random crashes

Hex_Merchant
Level 7
Decided to upgrade my Laptop with some memory (First time I've taken a laptop apart and installed memory)
I replaced the two sticks in the Computer (2x4GB) with (PNY 2x8GB DDR3 PC3-12800) (so 16GB of RAM vs 8GB)
Problem: It has only happened twice but I'm sure is has to do with the RAM I installed
1. The computer BSOD (blue screen of death) after about a day of use
2. The computer BSOD after 5 days of use (this time it had an error msg but was to quick and can not find my reports)

The computer has never BSOD so I'm pretty sure it's the new ram.

My current BIOS version is G75VW.218

Question 1. Will updating my Bios to .222 version help fix my Ram/Memory issue.

Question 2. If not can someone help me fix the issue so I can use these sticks of ram?
11 REPLIES 11

Clintlgm
Level 14
Yes if you added RAM, it needed to be match up with the currently installed RAM at a minimum Same Voltage and Timings. if all 4 sticks are matched up. you'll need to try resetting them hoping that will solve the problem. With that failing remove all but 1 stick and insure It works in all for slots. do the same with the other 3 until you find the defected Ram stick or slot. If you only put the 2 stick in that you can get to, then try them one at a time to see if you can determine the defective stick.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Clintlgm wrote:
Yes if you added RAM, it needed to be match up with the currently installed RAM at a minimum Same Voltage and Timings. if all 4 sticks are matched up. you'll need to try resetting them hoping that will solve the problem. With that failing remove all but 1 stick and insure It works in all for slots. do the same with the other 3 until you find the defected Ram stick or slot. If you only put the 2 stick in that you can get to, then try them one at a time to see if you can determine the defective stick.

Thanks for your reply.
When I put the new ram in, I put them in the front of the computer replacing the old ones.

QUESTION: What's the best way to figure out the Timings and Voltage?

I'm looking at the old ram that is currently out of my computer but all is says on the white piece of paper stuck to it is this
(4GB 1RX8 PC3-12800S-11-10-B2)

I used the serial or model number to come up with more info online
4GB 204p PC3-12800 CL11 16c 256x8 DDR3-1600 2RX8 1.5v SODIMM NLM, Elpida, CWM,
Model or Serial: EBJ40UG8BBU0-GN-F

and the new sticks according to the model number online says this
PNY 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3 1600MHz (PC3 12800) 204-Pin CAS CL11 Dual Channel Notebook Memory Module Kit -
Model: MN16384KD3-1600

I'm not sure if any of this information is helpful in deciding if the ram I picked up will work on the G75VW

Although I don't know how to check Timing and Voltage on either ram stick currently, I will take my computer all the way apart again to take out the 2 sticks I installed earlier this week. then I'll put my computer back together and use the two slots in the back and test one stick at a time with windows memory diagnostic tool.

C4RN1
Level 9
So your good news first.

Both sticks of ram run at 1.5v (the voltage the ram runs at)
Both sticks of ram are CL11 (The time it takes between a command having been sent to the memory and when it begins to reply to it.)

Now the bad news,

The ram looks like it has different timings.

For the stock Elpida ram

EBJ40UG8BBU0-GN-F 1600 DDR3-1600K (11-11-11) This doesn't list the tRAS (could be 24 or 27)

And your replacement ram has timings of (9-9-9-24)

Usually the lower the numbers the better (because it's measured by the time it takes to process or the delay). If these timings I found are correct then you should be able to run just the new ram in your machine with no issues. When you add your other stick of ram the computer becomes unstable due to a timing mismatch.

The computer could be downclocking the stock ram to 1333 to run at 9-9-9, and this could be causing your issue as well.

Either way, run the two PNY sticks and test.

You can test with Hirens boot cd

Link here

Either burn to cd, or make a bootable usb drive with rufus.

Memtest86+ will be on the main menu.

Run Memtest86+ for an hour, if there are any errors test one stick of ram at a time.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

C4RN1 wrote:
So your good news first.

Both sticks of ram run at 1.5v (the voltage the ram runs at)
Both sticks of ram are CL11 (The time it takes between a command having been sent to the memory and when it begins to reply to it.)

Now the bad news,

The ram looks like it has different timings.

For the stock Elpida ram

EBJ40UG8BBU0-GN-F 1600 DDR3-1600K (11-11-11) This doesn't list the tRAS (could be 24 or 27)

And your replacement ram has timings of (9-9-9-24)

Usually the lower the numbers the better (because it's measured by the time it takes to process or the delay). If these timings I found are correct then you should be able to run just the new ram in your machine with no issues. When you add your other stick of ram the computer becomes unstable due to a timing mismatch.

The computer could be downclocking the stock ram to 1333 to run at 9-9-9, and this could be causing your issue as well.

Either way, run the two PNY sticks and test.

You can test with Hirens boot cd

Link here

Either burn to cd, or make a bootable usb drive with rufus.

Memtest86+ will be on the main menu.

Run Memtest86+ for an hour, if there are any errors test one stick of ram at a time.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks for the info!

Update Time:
I took my laptop all the way apart and grabbed my new ram out of the machine, and put the PC back together.

with no RAM in the machine I placed one RAM in a slot on the back of the machine and ran a Windows Diagnostic test.

The test was successful without any errors.
Then I tried the second stick
That test was also successful without any errors.

My new theory is when I initially installed my new RAM I might have not placed the RAM all the way into the slot, which may have been the initial reason why I BSOD twice.

As you suggested here I will download memtest86 onto a flash drive and test the ram in the new slots to be safe. I assume that my issue was user-error xD But I learned more about my computer and RAM so Thanks.

After the memtest is done tonight I'll post the final results (assuming there is no more problem)

Update:
So I grabbed Rufus and placed the file on there but the computer could not find the flash drive as a bootable drive. I tried another method but didn't get it to work out.

I decided since I ran out of time to run a Extended test with windows diagnostic test to see when I got off work if there was an issue.

When I got back the test was on 21% of pass 1 and there was a message saying there may be a problem, contact your manufacturer... stuff like that.

When I run a standard or basic memory diagnostic test however it can't find the issue.

Both sticks worked on the standard test in one slot, so I'm gonna try both sticks in the other slot now.

With flash drives on boot up hit the Esc key that will bring up a boot menu where you should see your Flash drive?
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Clintlgm wrote:
With flash drives on boot up hit the Esc key that will bring up a boot menu where you should see your Flash drive?

In order for my computer to find the USB, I had to enable an option that was disabled in my bios called Legacy boot mode. Then my computer was able to identify the USB driver in my computer as a bootable drive.

Ran a memtest for 8 hours while I slept, it went through 3 and 1/2 passes with no errors. ( not sure if 3 passes in 8 hours is a bad or good thing)

C4RN1
Level 9

Hex_Merchant
Level 7
Both sticks of the PNY