cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

main panel lifting?

Dodgers
Level 7
hi. so I just got this machine and only swapped out the drive and put a ssd in.

I noticed before and after this is a slight grove to the right of the mouse pad, and also where the airplane and lock logo are under the right mouse button. kind of like a wavy grove feel. feels like something is pushing up the panel.

about 2 hours ago I also noticed that the panel was lifted, like a hill. I was able to push it down. I don't know if the glue is lifting up or what, but its got me concerned already and I am only 1 day in using this thing.

any1 else duplicating this problem?

I have uploaded a image of the lifting or grove, underlining it with white paint so you can see where it is.

thanks for your help
11 REPLIES 11

joshindaphils
Level 11
Your photo does not help show what your problem is at all. Please do another attempt.

From you description I would say that this is abnormal and look for a warranty repair.

attached is better photo. let me know if you can see it better.

Corporal
Level 9
On mine there is a little hill in the exact same place as yours.

I don't know if the glue is lifting up or what, but its got me concerned already and I am only 1 day in using this thing.

There is no glue, it's all plastic.
There are many things that bother me with my G751JY, this little hill isn't one of them.

Corporal wrote:
On mine there is a little hill in the exact same place as yours.

There is no glue, it's all plastic.
There are many things that bother me with my G751JY, this little hill isn't one of them.

what are your issues?

joshindaphils
Level 11
Yeah I can see what you are talking about now. Can't say I have the same thing and I'm 10 months in with mine. There is play in this area when I press on it though.

I would affect a return / swap and not an RMA if this is a brand new device.

Corporal
Level 9
Left USB ports don't provide enough power for external HDDs
Touchpad keys buzzing when certain frequencies are played via laptop speakers @ over 50% volume
Soundcard making a sound when it goes in and out of power saving mode, could be fixed by a software update but ASUS doesn't care apparently.
Screen bezel causing artifacts due to pressure on the screen -> fixed it with a flat file
CPU Fan rattling -> fixed it with oil

Now don't get me wrong, overall, I'm still satisfied with the machine, otherwise I wouldn't be using it now would I?

di_Valenti
Level 7
Fitting - what that is saying is that someone opened the case or undid the screws under it and it may or may not have seated right - or it could just be that is wasn't seated properly at the factory... this is very easy to fix.

1. using a small screwdriver - remove the rubber plugs on the bottom of the case, and then the under cover also - there are 4x screws in the ram/hd bay as well as the DVD drive holding screw.

2. remove the screws around the case... then turn over - go to the back of the case and carefully and gently but with some force the first time... remover the back over the fans cover - then unplug the speaker cord, there are two rubber bumpers that sit in there they may be lose or fixed - they don't really matter what way they are in there are just odd bits of rubber to add support and vibration deading... just put them back if they fall out when you go to replace the cover.

then starting at the back above the fans gently pry off the top cover... then just reseat it so it goes in flat and your all good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3x7px8mx5LU - there is a video someone did that shows how to do it - very easy once you see it done. to make sure it's flat, just seat it from the front to back and make sure it's more or less level when you push it back in place with the clipping holders around the end.

thanks dj for the info. only thing I have done is a hd swap, installing a ssd drive as soon as I opened the box up, right after leaving the best buy store. no other work has been done.

I will try the method and see if resetting the fitting removes the bumps. just feels like something is under there either pushing it up or stopping it from going down.

of course I would get the one with the fitting issue ;/

while I am there, should I toss in another 8gb ram card like the guy shows in the video? will I see a major difference between 8gb and 16gb ram with a ssd and the way the system is setup currently?

Corporal
Level 9
while I am there, should I toss in another 8gb ram card like the guy shows in the video? will I see a major difference between 8gb and 16gb ram with a ssd and the way the system is setup currently?

The ram will then work in dual channel mode, which is always better than single channel. You probably won't notice any difference, other than in a benchmark.