cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G751JT Overclocking the 970M [help]

frozenashes2
Level 7
Did a search and saw a whole lot of mixed results. Even watched a few youtube videos on guys pushing +135 and +500. I don't want to flash an experiment VBIOS on my laptop to start. Just simple msi afterburner is good enough for me. However I keep seeing users push the memory clock past +350. How is that stable? I see artifacts every few minutes under a heavy game session with that setting. I also have the 3GB model.

Any tricks involved? Please show me your firestrike score if you have some crazed setting... Thanks!
ROG G551JW - i7 - 4720HQ - GTX 960 2GB - 16GB RAM
ROG G751 - i7- 4710HQ - GTX 970M 3GB - 16GB RAM
7 REPLIES 7

joshindaphils
Level 11
All cards are different in how much they can overclock. You can void your warranty and use a modified VBIOS to increase the voltage, the increase voltage generates more heat, but allows you to clock the card higher w/o artifacts.

IMO it is not worth the possibility of voiding your warranty using a custom VBIOS and having something go wrong; that is a very expensive paperweight. If you have money like that to throw around you should buy for the performance you wanted in the first place. Again just my opinion / view on the matter.

joshindaphils wrote:
All cards are different in how much they can overclock. You can void your warranty and use a modified VBIOS to increase the voltage, the increase voltage generates more heat, but allows you to clock the card higher w/o artifacts.

IMO it is not worth the possibility of voiding your warranty using a custom VBIOS and having something go wrong; that is a very expensive paperweight. If you have money like that to throw around you should buy for the performance you wanted in the first place. Again just my opinion / view on the matter.

Yep, that's why I'm not reflashing lol.
ROG G551JW - i7 - 4720HQ - GTX 960 2GB - 16GB RAM
ROG G751 - i7- 4710HQ - GTX 970M 3GB - 16GB RAM

Edweird
Level 10
+135MHz to core is the maximum allowed without vBIOS changes.
Memory is limited to +5000MHz, I think, but that's impossbile to achieve anyways.
If you're seeing artifacts at +350 to memory then you probably just got unlucky with your particular one.
Try +300. I run my 980M at +324MHz based on a hunch on the base memory clock being 324MHz, like the core base clock being 135MHz.
Probably has nothing to do with how it works, but hey, I like the number lol
Don't be too worried about it, though. Number of cores is what mainly affects performance, not so much clock speeds.

No, but seriously, bad luck, people have reported doing stable +500 without any modifications with just MSI Afterburner.

Nader
Level 8
Well I did flash a custom vbios But I have the original vbios for back up any time I want.
Tried flashing between both and works fine. When I flash the original vbios it reverts back to the original limitation.

Nader wrote:
Well I did flash a custom vbios But I have the original vbios for back up any time I want.
Tried flashing between both and works fine. When I flash the original vbios it reverts back to the original limitation.

Then in the scenario that you cannot reflash the VBIOS what then? To each their own, arguably the risk is negligible, arguably so are the performance gains.

Just don't be fooled into believing you have a solid backup plan.

This is also fraudulent behavior as well. You are willingly violating the warranty, then disguising this fact in the hopes of still claiming coverage, even worse if your VBIOS could be a contributing factor in the causation to the need of repair. Just FYI.

Got 135 on my core and 350 on memory and everything runs great. Use MSI AfterBurner and go for it. I did try setting my memory to 400 and all was ok for a day or so and then i started seeing artifacts. Lowered it to 375 and again 2 days later had artifcats. Went down to 350 and all has been well for over a week.

Nader
Level 8
Also use GPU Tweak not Msi after burner.