Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New G501JW owner here (2 months), I don't know if I like it or not

Larvas
Level 7
Hey guys,

it's been two months since I purchased my G501JW, this is the configuration:

Problem 1, the fingerprints
I saw that a lot of people complained about the material from which the laptop is made, I'm in the same group. I traded my Macbook Air for this gaming notebook, and I do have to say that it looks quite ugly once it's full of finger prints. I have to clean it before every meeting and that's quite frustrating.

Is there any way on how to solve this?

Problem 2, the keyboard
Some of the keys make squiking sounds, especially backspace, and I hate it. On the other side, the Enter button does not "enter" if I don't click the lower part of the button. If I click the upper part - the button just doesn't work. It's obviously a hardware problem and I know I should replace it, but just wanted to share this.

Problem 3, the Display Drivers
I'm using a Dell U24 IPS monitor, and every time I turn off the monitor (not the laptop), and turn on the monitor again after a few hours, the display drivers crash together with firefox, photoshop and excel. Is there any solution for this?

Problem 4, the hard disk
I love how fast everything is on the SSD, but the 5300 rpm hard disk was a ****ty choice. The problem which I have is that the drive makes irritating sounds. It's not running constantly, but it's rather going up, and down, up and down, up and down - in a silent room that's quit frustrating and I would love to have a solution for this, even if it's a replacement for a 7200 rpm disk.

Also, every movie which I have on the disk is playing laggy, if I transfer it to an SSD everything is cool, but on that HDD I get lag every few minutes (VLC player and Windows media player)

And that's it overall.

I mean, although I have a lot if issues, I do have to say that there are a bunch of things which I love about the laptop - the gaming performance, the weight, the size, the screen. But when you pay 1700 eur for a device, you expect that it looks expensive and works properly, so that's why I'm here.

Any ideas and help with the above problems are welcome, thank you!
2 REPLIES 2

toronto699
Level 13
did your G501 come with W10 if not u need to install some W10 drivers from your driver page may help with some issues
http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=G501JW&p=3&s=768
if any driver are a newer date or different version # than the W8.1 drivers install the W10 drivers there are some fixes for W10

oreopatty
Level 7
It actually depends on one's perspective on the notebook. I have the same laptop as you and the only thing I'm disappointed at is that when its not plugged in, the dedicated video card doesn't load