cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transferring an OS

FuturisticMC
Level 7
I want to know how to transfer an OS to my new drive since I already have a PC with Windows 10
32 REPLIES 32

toronto699
Level 13
make model of pc OS

Dr__Zchivago
Level 12
Did you buy a new PC with Windows 10, and you want to install Windows 10 onto a different PC using the license which came with you new PC? If so, you might get it to work by digging up the product key, but I can't help.

But, if your intention is to move your new PC's operating system to a new hard drive, replacing the original system drive in the new PC, then I can definitely help - I just did this in a new laptop.

Z

No I got the free upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 and will be building my first PC soon and want to know how to transfer the OS on the new drive without transfering all my data

Chino
Level 15
FuturisticMC wrote:
I want to know how to transfer an OS to my new drive since I already have a PC with Windows 10

Assuming that your new PC is on a different platform than your current one, I wouldn't recommend you doing that. There will be a lot of driver conflicts and such. It's better to do a fresh install.

Dr__Zchivago
Level 12
So, your upgrade has already been processed, and you have Win10 installed on a PC right now. And, you are building a second PC?

If I read you correctly, you want to move the Win10 installation (ie: use your new product key) from your current PC to a new one.

Please forgive me if I am misunderstanding, but I'm struggling to determine exactly what it is you want to do, step-by-step.

Z

EDIT: If you just want to write an image of your current PC operating system to the new PC, then refer up to Chino's comment.

FuturisticMC
Level 7
Just any possible way I could get windows 10 on my new boot drive without having to pay anything
Yes Dr.zchivago you're correct but how do I get a product key

FuturisticMC wrote:
Just any possible way I could get windows 10 on my new boot drive without having to pay anything
Yes Dr.zchivago you're correct but how do I get a product key

Since you mentioned you're building your first PC, I'm guessing your current PC had Win7 installed by the original equipment manufacturer (OEM).
I don't think (but, I can't say for sure) that you are allowed to transfer those product licenses to another PC once that installation (on the old PC) is activated.

Z

FuturisticMC
Level 7
Ok but I f there is a way to get the product key from my computer wouldn't that be legal

FuturisticMC
Level 7
But wouldn't it be legal to get the product key from window that's already on my computer and type it in on the new one
If it is I need to know how to get the product key