cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G751JY how to connect via thunderbolt (mini display port) to ext. monitor

Meandro
Level 7
Hi,

I have just bought a brand new G751JY and an Asus VG248QE 1920x1080(up to 144Hz) monitor.

Do i need to connect G751JY thunderbolt mini display port into VG248QE display port to have more then 60hz ?

Which cable do i need to buy ? Can someone please link me a good cable on amazon.

Thanks!
14 REPLIES 14

Exanimis
Level 7
I wanted to add another question.
Does also G-Sync will work through this port ?
Can we get this working if we connect to a G-sync monitor through a thunderbolt ?

Corporal
Level 9
Any working cable will do. Get the cheapest one that has more than 4 stars on amazon and you're fine.
G-Sync seems to work as well, if you have the G-Sync enabled G751JY. I can't test it because ASUS and NVidia screwed me over 😉

Corporal wrote:
Any working cable will do. Get the cheapest one that has more than 4 stars on amazon and you're fine.
G-Sync seems to work as well, if you have the G-Sync enabled G751JY. I can't test it because ASUS and NVidia screwed me over 😉

Do you have a G-sync monitor ? Could you try on 348.01 with nvlddmkm.sys replaced from leak drivers ?

you can find it under HERE

Corporal
Level 9
Do you have a G-sync monitor ?

nope

Strangely, google can't find anything reliable on whether it works on external display on not.

well it usually works if you have a g-sync display but im not so sure if it also works with thunderbolt port
there is no info on it

or is there a possibility that it will also work on standard display with DP ?

Exanimis wrote:
well it usually works if you have a g-sync display but im not so sure if it also works with thunderbolt port
there is no info on it

or is there a possibility that it will also work on standard display with DP ?

A G-sync g751 will work with a g-sync monitor with thunderbolt. Tested with rog swifts and ben q's
g-sync g751+g-sync monitor over thunderbolt=g-sync
g-sync g751+non g-sync monitor over thunderbolt=no g-sync
non g-sync g751+g-sync monitor=no g-sync
non g-sync g751+non g-sync monitor=no g-sync
modded g-sync g751+ g-sync monitor=reportedly working with g-sync

Thunderbolt is superior to hdmi but hdmi is more common.
3d printed parts and accessories for the G751. You know you want something better than OEM ->https://www.shapeways.com/shops/aeolisio[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Exanimis
Level 7
Thanks aeolisio, that cleared things up 🙂

Please can someone link me a good Thunderbolt to DisplayPort Cable on Amazon ? i really can't find one.

thanks

Meandro wrote:
Please can someone link me a good Thunderbolt to DisplayPort Cable on Amazon ? i really can't find one.

thanks

I'd recommend Monoprice.com over AMazon for cables. I've purchased a lot of cables from them over the years, and I haven't had a single one go bad. They're also cheap enough that I can get next-day shipping to Alaska for less than the same cable would cost in a store...