cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will Swapping SSD and HDD help out with speed?

Phat_Fireman
Level 7
I'm not sure if it'll help with speed on my notebook, but I've heard that swapping the SSD and HDD will help out with speed. I haven't done this yet and wanted other people's point of views on this. I've tried to search the forums and google about this topic but haven't found anything useful.
10 REPLIES 10

Corporal
Level 9
What do you mean by swapping SSD and HDD? What will go where? What's your laptop model?

gordon_degrandi
Level 7
Sapping out the HD and replacing with SSD will definitely help out with speed. The only issue is price. The g750 has two bays and you can swap out one drive and replace it with SSD. A smaller SSD for OS and programs would be a good start. 120 Gb would be good for a start.

I have swapped out all my OS drives and replaced them with SSD which has made the machines faster, even the older machines.
If you have mo money then buy a big SSD like a 500Gb or a 1TB and replace data disks as well. The data disk replace is fantastic, copying, saving and moving large files take way less time.

I would say swap out the HD's and put in some SSD's. Don't forget to make a backup first. One the SSD's are in place use the HD's for backup disks using a USB3 to Sata cable.
Hope this helps.

Maxter
Level 9
I think he means the bay position. For some reason, ASUS added the SSD into bay1 and the HDD into bay0 on most G-series laptops that come with both. I had to manually switch the main drive into bay0.
So, to answer the question, yes. You should gain speed having the OS drive into bay0. Will you feel a huge difference? probably not. But still, make sure your OS drive is in bay0 (it's the proper way anyways)

Darnassus
Status Under Review
The system's retarded. I have mine in order physically, though some reason now my drives are in reverse, lol ;U

OS is Disk 1, HDD is Disk 0.

They're correct order in My Computer but on Drive Manager it's back to front. ;3

Mr. Maxter, when looking at the underside of the G750 with the clam-opening facing towards you, the left bay is Bay 0, correct? (furthest to the side) while the bay in the center of the laptop is Bay 1? ;d

Just to confirm.

Darnassus wrote:
The system's retarded. I have mine in order physically, though some reason now my drives are in reverse, lol ;U

OS is Disk 1, HDD is Disk 0.

They're correct order in My Computer but on Drive Manager it's back to front. ;3

Mr. Maxter, when looking at the underside of the G750 with the clam-opening facing towards you, the left bay is Bay 0, correct? (furthest to the side) while the bay in the center of the laptop is Bay 1? ;d

Just to confirm.

yep!

...a relevant question. My JM won't bot without the oem hdd. I have removed it and tried to add a new boot option to the bios, but it won't let me. My only option in bios is 'Toshiba", my ssd is not even listed. The ssd IS listed in sata devices, so the bios knows it is there. My goal is to boot from the ssd just because.

To be clear, I have been dual booting the ssd forever, I just can't remove the hdd. Here is the system, with the drives swapped...

Maxter
Level 9
If the BIOS doesn't recognize it, it's possible that the SSD is not formated correctly. Put old HDD into Bay0 and SSD into Bay1, boot windows. Go to computer management>Disk Management and check that the SSD is properly formated with a working parition. If not, partition it.
Now you can remove HHD and insert SSD into Bay0. BIOS should be able to see it. You should be able to install whatever OS you'd like now.

Korth
Level 14
I really don't understand why anyone would want HDD in their laptops anymore.

HDDs are best bang for the buck if all you want is raw storage capacity. But not too many people would be constrained by Terabyte-sized SSDs. Get an external drive or archive backups or start dispersing junk in the cloud if your computer is being crippled by low drive space.

SSD speeds completely outclass HDDs, even the cheapest and puniest of last-year's bargain blowout SSDs will vastly outperform the mightiest and most majestic HDD. "SATA 150MB/s" vs "SATA3 600MB/s" is everything you need to know without even looking at specs for the drive itself.

SSD power efficiency is greater by orders of magnitude. SSD-equipped laptops generally have triple the per-charge battery life of their HDD counterparts. The fact an SSD weighs a fraction of an ounce (vs a barometrically-sealed metal box filled with fragile spinning magnetic platters and servo motors) is just gravy in a mobile device you have to lug around.

Tumbling NVFlash lifespans/longevity are exaggerated. A real problem when introduced last decade, now a mature technology full of self-correcting failsafes - your SSD will indeed start getting older and smaller and slower from the very first day you plug it in, but it has statistical failure rates better than any HDD and will still provide about a decade (or more) useful service life - chances are your entire laptop will be obsolete long before SSD failure becomes a real concern. All the big enterprise machinery runs on flash now, and if it's redundant-backup-reliable-secure-and-safe enough for the mighty megacorporate data mongers then it should be good enough to store a puny collection of games and movies.

So why would any laptop manufacturer in today's world even bother to sell an HDD-based machine? Cost savings exist, but they aren't economical - you save a trivial amount by sacrificing a lot of valuable advantages, save 20 bucks on a $1000 purchase and end up with a machine that has half the performance. And seriously in a gaming-class performance laptop??? It would be like saving a couple hundred bucks by having them install a Toyota engine in your million-dollar Rolls.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]