cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading the Storage and Memory in a G750 JZ and screen issues

joolsmeister
Level 7
Hi All

I bought my G750JZ nearly exactly a year ago in Vietnam and am happy to say that its been nothing but good to me, however I want to upgrade a few bits and also try and sort a couple of niggles.

Currently the laptop has a 1TB HDD and 16GB ram fitted ( Factory ). I want to upgrade by fitting a SSD in tandem with the existing Hard disk drive and also take the RAM to the max by adding in another 16GB.

Tonight after reading some posts on the web I bought the following and would like to know if any of you see any compatibily issues with installing these.....

2 x Kingston Technology 8GB (1X8GB) 1600MHz DDR3L (PC3-12800) 1.35V Non-ECC CL11 SODIMM - KVR16LS11/8
1 x Samsung 850 Pro 512GB 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD - 7KE512BW

So in theory this should give me 32 GB RAM and a total of 1.5TB stoarge ( 1TB existing HDD and 512GB SSD )

DO you think the above items will be fine to install or have I made a schoolboy error somewhere???

I also have two little problems.....

1. For some reason I cant see the SD card reader. Have downloaded the drivers from the ASUS website but have no idea how to install. Is this a common problem? How do I go about fixing this.?

2. I have some dirt particles that seem to have somehow managed to find their way into the space between my backlight and LCD membrane....A couple of them are quite big and due to my line of work and what I use the laptop for ( Im a Lighting Designer ) it can be annoying when working with CAD , C4D etc...Is it possible to open the screen lid and get into the assembly to clean it with not too much hassle or is it a back to ASUS service center kind of thing?

3. Due to some of the enviroments I have to use my G750 in Im really keen to get it open and give it a good blast out with some air...However I have read the the fan and heatsinks at the back of the laptop are sealed. Is this true? If so what other method of cleaning would you recommend?

Your comments and advice would be very much appreciated.

Regards

Joolsmeister
5 REPLIES 5

Darnassus
Status Under Review
Umm.. download Speccy and check what RAM you have I am sure it's a 2x8GB Hyundai (lol) you want to try get the same models I think.

The screen, I don't think it's dirt, are they shaped like rice? They're bugs inside of your screen that're attracted to light, I have two myself. :c Press on your screen and squash them if you're afraid they'll go deeper towards the center.

Pulling the LCD apart is.. a very bad idea. You have an aluminium frame to worry about, + 6+ sheets of polarisation / refraction to keep in order and clean, too.

Cleaning the heatsinks is a ground zero job, you need to disassemble your laptop completely. Screen off, motherboard out, everything. It does pay off though if it's been a couple years.. just remember to be careful when reputting your screws and do not short circuit anything. No magnetic screw drivers.

Hi Darnassus

The RAM installed is actually Samsung Ram and have tried everywhere within the UAE to get hold of it but cant. The extra bits arrived yesterday and I have installed the Ram which seems to be working fine. I stopped short of Installking the SSD as I dont know enough about it yet.

One thing I was worried about was what bay to install the SSD in. I read that only one of the bays will be able to use the SSD to its full potential ( 550 MBs ). Apparently one bay is 250mbs and the other bay is 550mbs , but im not sure as to what bay is what. As explained there is only one drive in the laptop just now ( 1TB HDD ). Its in the bay to the left if you were to flip the laptop over onto its screen with the vents to the rear facing away from you.

Any idea what slot to put the SSD in?

The items in between the backlight and LCD membrane are defo dirt and not bugs. They are irregul;ar shaped. I do a lot of work outside and am continually cleaning out my laptop back due to the dirt and dust that accumulates....Bit of a bugger I cant open the screen up

I really do want to clean the fans etc. Ive noticed the fans coming on a lot more than usual as of late and feel they are getting a bit clogged up

joolsmeister wrote:
Hi Darnassus

The RAM installed is actually Samsung Ram and have tried everywhere within the UAE to get hold of it but cant. The extra bits arrived yesterday and I have installed the Ram which seems to be working fine. I stopped short of Installking the SSD as I dont know enough about it yet.

One thing I was worried about was what bay to install the SSD in. I read that only one of the bays will be able to use the SSD to its full potential ( 550 MBs ). Apparently one bay is 250mbs and the other bay is 550mbs , but im not sure as to what bay is what. As explained there is only one drive in the laptop just now ( 1TB HDD ). Its in the bay to the left if you were to flip the laptop over onto its screen with the vents to the rear facing away from you.

Any idea what slot to put the SSD in?

The items in between the backlight and LCD membrane are defo dirt and not bugs. They are irregul;ar shaped. I do a lot of work outside and am continually cleaning out my laptop back due to the dirt and dust that accumulates....Bit of a bugger I cant open the screen up

I really do want to clean the fans etc. Ive noticed the fans coming on a lot more than usual as of late and feel they are getting a bit clogged up

Replace the HDD with the SSD. The left is bay 0.

I couldn't be bothered recording myself doing disassemblies but this should be worth gold to you.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/asus-g750-disassembly.726296/

Good luck, just remember be slow when taking the keyboard deck away from the unit. and do NOT separate your fans from their sinks. They can tear off be careful.

Thanks darnassus

Cloned the existing HDD using the Samsung migration software and installed in Bay0. SO its now SSD ( with cloned image of HDD ) in Bay 0 and the old HDD is now in Bay 1.

Im guessing my next move is to re label the drives ( HDD is still C: and SSD is G: ) to show SSD as C and the HDD as G and then change the BIOS to boot from the new SSD??

Or am I going to screw things up?

Your a legend for helping me with this!!

Jools

Darnassus
Status Under Review
Well now that the image is on the SSD, you want to have the SSD and ONLY the SSD in the laptop to make sure it works.

After that, format the other drive and insert it.

You may need to re-arange the boot order yes, that's easy. Just Restart the computer while holding shift and go into the Advanced Settings > UEFI settings It's in there somewhere. Just change the boot order so the SSD is higher than the HDD. Keep DVD and USB as highest if you like to boot from media.

You can also rename the drive letters by right clicking My Computer > Manage > Disk Management > right click the drive and 'Change Drive Letter and Paths'

Right now your computer may still be booting from the HDD. ;d

But yes, just make sure the unit boots up with the SSD inside of it alone.

Currently my bay orders are in reverse, but there's no impact in performance I find.