cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HERO keeps turning itself on

bildad
Level 7
Hello, I have a Maximus VIII HERO with a 6700k running windows 10, bios 902 and after shutting down it will sometimes turn itself back on after some time. Not sure when it happens, but I'll come back into the office and it will be running at the login screen. I've checked the BIOS and the wake on lan is disabled along with every other wake setting in that screen. It's very annoying. Any ideas what's going on?
15 REPLIES 15

brkkab123
Level 7
I think Windows 10 is the same as Windows 8 & 8.1 are. The only way to really turnoff the pc properly is to restart it and then at the login screen hit the power icon at the bottom right and click on shutdown. Try that and see if it help's. I recently bought the Maximus VIII Hero, but I'm still getting the rest of the part's for my new build.
I've also heard there's something in the Keybot software that if you hit a key on your keyboard, it will turn it on.

brkkab123 wrote:
I think Windows 10 is the same as Windows 8 & 8.1 are. The only way to really turnoff the pc properly is to restart it and then at the login screen hit the power icon at the bottom right and click on shutdown. Try that and see if it help's. I recently bought the Maximus VIII Hero, but I'm still getting the rest of the part's for my new build..

Sorry, but that isn't accurate in the slightest

salih
Level 7
try to enable ErP Support.If your PSU doent support ErP then leave it disabled.

salih wrote:
try to enable ErP Support.If your PSU doent support ErP then leave it disabled.

I'll give that a shot. It's a Seasonic Platinum 860 and I believe it does support ErP.

You may also want to go to your device manager, and under network device -> properties, turn off the "Allow this device to wake the computer".

Well, none of that worked. I shut it down earlier today and just came back in the room and it had turned itself on again. Sometimes it'll stay off for a few days and sometimes you can't leave it for a few hours before it boots itself back up.

cameronjohncook
Level 7
Just a theory because this used to happen with my machine. Can you try unplugging your mouse and keyboard just to see if it happens when they're unplugged.

Wheezy
Level 7
Here we are nearly 2018 and this problem still exists. I didn't have this problem until a recent update. I'm stumped. Jumped through a ton of hoops and the only solution is turing off the power supply after I shut down. Not the end of the world, but pretty annoying.

reupens
Level 7
Try turning off fast start-up in Windows.