cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Originally noticed something very strange with VIII Hero with 6700k

gabecubano14
Level 7
Hello. So i have not seen this issue for the past few days but i want to make people aware of it. I have a feeling i might be seeing it again soon. After i installed everything on the motherboard and installed windows 7 on the machine, i noticed an issue almost every time i got updates and installed them. After windows updates installs everything i reboot the machine on the blue screen where it says installing updates and then shutting down, the screen freezes and the machine does not reboot. It stays on the shutting down screen and the spinning circle freezes and doesn't move anymore. I can't seem to track anything well in the event viewer for the machine when it shuts down. I did see event ID 10 a few times saying events cannot be delivered to this filter stuff. Some people were saying this was due to unknown hardware but on microsoft it talks about a WMI registration that doesn't get installed on the machine when upgrading to Windows 7 SP1. Anyways i have the most up to date drivers and the machine runs perfectly fine when in windows. I have not gotten any updated in the past few days which doesn't help but hopefully i get some soon so i can see if this issue is still here which i'm thinking it could be.

If anybody has had their shutting down screen freeze please let me know!
16 REPLIES 16

Nate152
Hello gabecubano14

Welcome to the ROG forum.

List your complete system specs and any usb devices you may have connected for us please.

Nate152 wrote:
Hello gabecubano14

Welcome to the ROG forum.

List your complete system specs and any usb devices you may have connected for us please.

Sure thing. Everything is normal speed as well. no overclocking.

SPECS:

Windows 7 SP1 Pro
BIOS: 0902
MOBO: Maximus VIII Hero
CPU: 6700k
GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 Windforce 4gb
SOUND: Soundblaster Titanium HD card
RAM: G Skill ripjaw 4 (F4-3000C15Q-16GRK)
PSU: EVGA Supernova 850 G2

HDDS on intel ports

Samsung 850 Pro 256GB
Vertex 4 128GB
Seagate ST3000DM 001-1CH166 (3TB)
Seagate ST310005 28AS (1TB)

usb devices connected to 4 USB 2.0 ports:

logitech c920
razer taipan - standard drivers, no razer software installed
cm quickfire rapid
elgato game capture HD - original model

I will mention i originally had Ripjaw V (F4-2800C15D-16GVR) which was not supported on the site which i realized afterwards. I have only seen the lockup though on shutdown after updates installed. The last few days i didn't notice any freezes since i have not recieved any updates recently. If you think that might cause the issue please let me know. I'm assuming it's not good that it was unsupported but i would think it's not too bad for the machine

Thanks and i'll be looking forward to a response. Have not had issues for days now since my machine has not recieved any windows updates but i wouldn't be surprised if i'm missing other areas where it did happen beforehand

Nate152
Thank you

Actually the ripjaws v is supported, click on the QVL tab in the link.

http://www.gskill.com/en/product/f4-3000c15q-16gvrb

Ripjaws 4 is for x99 but if it's working you can use it.

Nate152 wrote:
Thank you

Actually the ripjaws v is supported, click on the QVL tab in the link.

http://www.gskill.com/en/product/f4-3000c15q-16gvrb

Ripjaws 4 is for x99 but if it's working you can use it.

http://www.gskill.com/en/product/f4-2800c15d-16gvr

That's the one i purchased on newegg which the gskill site and newegg both say z170 support which is why i bought it. I checked on the maximus viii hero support page and checked the dram pdf file. That one is not in the 2866 list. This is why i then saw this one on the 3000 list and purchased it. Even though it is for x99 it seems fine if it's on the qvl list which the other one for some reason isn't on the mobo support page yet.

Nate152
If it's listed on the ram manufacturers website it's all good.

Does your ripjaws v kit have tighter timings than the ripjaws 4 kit? If it does you may need to increase the cpu system agent voltage and vccio voltage a little to get it stable.

If the ripjaws v kit has tighter timings try it again with these settings.

cpu system agent voltage 1.10 - 1.15v (up to 1.25v if needed)
vccio voltage 1.15v

These should be found on the extreme tweaker tab.

Nate152 wrote:
If it's listed on the ram manufacturers website it's all good.

Does your ripjaws v kit have tighter timings than the ripjaws 4 kit? If it does you may need to increase the cpu system agent voltage and vccio voltage a little to get it stable.

If the ripjaws v kit has tighter timings try it again with these settings.

cpu system agent voltage 1.10 - 1.15v (up to 1.25v if needed)
vccio voltage 1.15v

These should be found on the extreme tweaker tab.

Both the old one i had and the new one both are 15-15-15-35, same timings. I do see the ripjaw v is 1.25 v and the ripjaw 4 is 1.35. I have not seen any instability with my machine since putting in the ripjaw 4 series but i'm assuming i shouldn't have to mess around with the voltage settings since it's listed on the QVL sheet for the motherboard.

Praz
Level 13
Hello

X99 memory, when used with Z170, may require additional voltage for full stability.

Praz wrote:
Hello

X99 memory, when used with Z170, may require additional voltage for full stability.

Maybe but i have not noticed any instability since putting in the ripjaw 4 sticks. Also, the memory is listed in the QVL sheet for the motherboard so i'm assuming i shouldn't have to mess around with voltage settings or anything in the bios.

Nate152
if it's stable you don't need to fool with any settings.

Let's see if your system is fully stable shall we?

What you can do is install realbench and run only the stress test (click stress test beside benchmark) to see if you're fully stable. If you have a cpu temp monitoring program you can open it while running the test.

If you pass the test with the ripjaws 4 kit, try it with the ripjaws v kit.

http://rog.asus.com/rog-pro/realbench-v2-leaderboard/