Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 33
  1. #1
    ROG Member Array UnknownEngineer PC Specs
    UnknownEngineer PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus Maximus VIII Ranger
    Processori7 6700K
    Memory (part number)Crucial Ballistics Sport (2x8GB)
    Graphics Card #1GTX 970 Gigabyte G1
    Storage #1128GB Sandisk Ultra Plus
    Storage #23TB Seagate
    CPU CoolerCorsair h110i GTX
    CaseBitfenix Ghost
    Power Supply750W EVGA supernova G2
    Keyboard G170+
    Mouse G502
    Headset Creative Fatality
    Mouse Pad Razer Goliathus
    OS Windows 10
    UnknownEngineer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    22

    Exclamation Maximus VIII Ranger troubleshooting, audio clipping and system freezes

    I have had quite a wide arrangement of issues with my system, I am not quite sure what is causing it, mobo, CPU, OS?
    Specs.
    Maximus VIII Ranger (previous BIOS 0401, current 0801)
    6700K @4.0GHz (underclocked by 200Mhz, still getting issues) temps 68c under gaming load
    16GB Crucial Ballistix 2x8 @2400Mhz (using XMP profile)
    GPU (if that matters) GTX 970 Gigabyte G1 @IDK varies (undercloked by ~120Mhz from OCguruII) temps 75c under gaming load
    OS Win 10, upgraded from Win 7 (deleted win 7 files already)

    Let me know if other details are needed.

    Here's the list of issues.
    1. My entire system will some times freeze, mostly happens under load but it recently happened on while I was watching a Youtube video. Audio will hang, this usually gives me quite a scare as it is usually louder than usual. I don't see the HDD led blink at all when this happens so I just turn the PC off, event viewer only shows an unexpected power-loss event. Is this caused by the OS screwing up, or is it something else?

    2. Audio clipping randomly, regardless of what I am doing, will happen when gaming, or listening to music on groove music (local), or google chrome. May or may not happen, is happening as I am typing and listening to music on Youtube.

    3. Possibly unrelated, I have also been unable to install any Linux distro on the system, regardless of UEFI settings I will not be able to boot into the installation. Only booting on a USB works, however the on-board audio device isn't detected and I get odd graphical issues while booting, but not after.

    Any help is appreciated, I just want these problems solved, I no longer care how. These issues have been bothering me since I built the PC roughly a month ago.

  2. #2
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    13

    There is a new bios i.e 0905, you can try to see whether your problems will be resolved.

  3. #3
    ROG Member Array UnknownEngineer PC Specs
    UnknownEngineer PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus Maximus VIII Ranger
    Processori7 6700K
    Memory (part number)Crucial Ballistics Sport (2x8GB)
    Graphics Card #1GTX 970 Gigabyte G1
    Storage #1128GB Sandisk Ultra Plus
    Storage #23TB Seagate
    CPU CoolerCorsair h110i GTX
    CaseBitfenix Ghost
    Power Supply750W EVGA supernova G2
    Keyboard G170+
    Mouse G502
    Headset Creative Fatality
    Mouse Pad Razer Goliathus
    OS Windows 10
    UnknownEngineer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    22

    Quote Originally Posted by salman31 View Post
    There is a new bios i.e 0905, you can try to see whether your problems will be resolved.
    The last BIOS update didn't fix it but I'll try the new BIOS tomorrow, I am going to go to sleep soon and would rather do this when I have time to do everything in one go.

    I was able to temporarily fix my audio issue by restarting my OS, task manager told me that I had an uptime of 1day and 17 hours (how can I make windows actually shut-down?), even turning off the PSU for a while didn't fix that. I had to choose restart from Win 10.
    I still had another freeze as I was playing Arma 3, after that though. It isn't even almost daily, this sometimes happens several times a day.

    I am still not quite sure if this is a hardware or driver issue.

  4. #4
    ROG Enthusiast Array
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    31

    Same issue - OS reinstall sort of fixed it

    Hey, iv had an identical issue, albeit with slightly different specs (but the same Mobo).

    My specs:
    Windows 10 pro
    Core i7 6700k processor
    Asus Maximus Ranger VIII z170 motherboard
    Strix R9 Fury graphics card
    850 evo ssd 500gb
    Corsair HX1000i Power Supply
    32gb Crucial Ballistix sport ddr4 ram


    For me a OS reinstall fixed it... Until i installed aisuite, then crashes returned. Even after uninstalling it and restoring stock processor settings in bios.

    I have since done another reinstall.. Had one freeze and subsequently sfc /scannow fixed 1 error. Since then it has been completely stable.

    Im pretty sure it is a driver issue/conflict considering I am completely stable following a reinstall.

    If you find some sort of fix or identify the issue, let me know!

    My advice to you:
    Do a fresh install of windows, get motherboard drivers only (not the asus utilities), then use DDU to remove graphics drivers and do a fresh install using latest drivers

    Best of luck, hopefully future driver updates fix this issue

  5. #5
    ROG Enthusiast Array
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    31

    Same ram...

    Just noticed we have the same ram (I have 2 16gb kits). Had lots of error 55s during setup. Perhaps it is causing issues.

    Im sure my ram is good however as it passed numerous memtest86 runs.

  6. #6
    ROG Member Array UnknownEngineer PC Specs
    UnknownEngineer PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus Maximus VIII Ranger
    Processori7 6700K
    Memory (part number)Crucial Ballistics Sport (2x8GB)
    Graphics Card #1GTX 970 Gigabyte G1
    Storage #1128GB Sandisk Ultra Plus
    Storage #23TB Seagate
    CPU CoolerCorsair h110i GTX
    CaseBitfenix Ghost
    Power Supply750W EVGA supernova G2
    Keyboard G170+
    Mouse G502
    Headset Creative Fatality
    Mouse Pad Razer Goliathus
    OS Windows 10
    UnknownEngineer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    22

    Quote Originally Posted by Adampvp View Post
    Hey, iv had an identical issue, albeit with slightly different specs (but the same Mobo).

    My specs:
    Windows 10 pro
    Core i7 6700k processor
    Asus Maximus Ranger VIII z170 motherboard
    Strix R9 Fury graphics card
    850 evo ssd 500gb
    Corsair HX1000i Power Supply
    32gb Crucial Ballistix sport ddr4 ram


    For me a OS reinstall fixed it... Until i installed aisuite, then crashes returned. Even after uninstalling it and restoring stock processor settings in bios.

    I have since done another reinstall.. Had one freeze and subsequently sfc /scannow fixed 1 error. Since then it has been completely stable.

    Im pretty sure it is a driver issue/conflict considering I am completely stable following a reinstall.

    If you find some sort of fix or identify the issue, let me know!

    My advice to you:
    Do a fresh install of windows, get motherboard drivers only (not the asus utilities), then use DDU to remove graphics drivers and do a fresh install using latest drivers

    Best of luck, hopefully future driver updates fix this issue
    I am now running the 0905 BIOS, haven't tested properly yet for crashes but I did notice some audio clipping, even with sonic studio effects disabled. I really do not want to do a reinstall of Win10, I am not exactly sure how to reactivate it.
    I'll check support and see if any newer drivers are available that might fix this, I just cannot understand how the drivers weren't checked for this.

    Is there any way to notify Asus about the issue? So that they might fix their drivers/aisuite ASAP, I was already on the verge of doing an RMA, and if that would not have worked I would have just sold this mobo for a MSI/Gigabyte one.

    EDIT: I just remembered that I heard something about a windows update failing to automatically download, "kb3087040-x64" is the update in question. I have it downloaded and will try installing that manually.
    As I was typing I noticed that another update failed to download "Cumulative Update for Windows 10 for x64-based Systems (KB3093266) - Error 0x80200056", will do the same thing to that as well as downloading every relevant thing from the Asus website, will report back when done.
    Last edited by UnknownEngineer; 10-08-2015 at 12:08 PM. Reason: Forgot to mention.

  7. #7
    ROG Member Array UnknownEngineer PC Specs
    UnknownEngineer PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus Maximus VIII Ranger
    Processori7 6700K
    Memory (part number)Crucial Ballistics Sport (2x8GB)
    Graphics Card #1GTX 970 Gigabyte G1
    Storage #1128GB Sandisk Ultra Plus
    Storage #23TB Seagate
    CPU CoolerCorsair h110i GTX
    CaseBitfenix Ghost
    Power Supply750W EVGA supernova G2
    Keyboard G170+
    Mouse G502
    Headset Creative Fatality
    Mouse Pad Razer Goliathus
    OS Windows 10
    UnknownEngineer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    22

    Quote Originally Posted by Adampvp View Post
    Just noticed we have the same ram (I have 2 16gb kits). Had lots of error 55s during setup. Perhaps it is causing issues.

    Im sure my ram is good however as it passed numerous memtest86 runs.
    The only memory related Issue I had was because I hadn't pushed the second stick in properly (didn't post at the time at all), windows memory test showed no issues what so ever.
    IIRC I enabled XMP almost immediately after getting the OS setup (I only installed the Asus things after upgrading to 10 from 7), now that I updated the BIOS again I decided to test completely stock, not even enabling XMP. Still had some audio clipping on Spotify (browser).

    I'll see if I still have crashes and audio clipping in other programs W/O XMP. (mem still seems to be at 2400Mhz, what does the XMP profile change)
    Last edited by UnknownEngineer; 10-08-2015 at 12:03 PM.

  8. #8
    ROG Enthusiast Array
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    31

    Thanks for the update - let me know how it goes.

    As for installing windows, activation is easy. If you install windows 10 fresh and skip activation at install, once you install ethernet/wifi drivers and connect to the internet (you will need these on a USB), it should activate on its own.

    Just to be safe, note your windows 10 key which you can find by running this keyfinder: https://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/

    Here is a windows 10 iso creation tool: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...d=ms_wol_win10

    It may be a pain, but this is probably one of the first things you should do as it will tell you straight away if its a hardware or software issue.

  9. #9
    ROG Member Array UnknownEngineer PC Specs
    UnknownEngineer PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus Maximus VIII Ranger
    Processori7 6700K
    Memory (part number)Crucial Ballistics Sport (2x8GB)
    Graphics Card #1GTX 970 Gigabyte G1
    Storage #1128GB Sandisk Ultra Plus
    Storage #23TB Seagate
    CPU CoolerCorsair h110i GTX
    CaseBitfenix Ghost
    Power Supply750W EVGA supernova G2
    Keyboard G170+
    Mouse G502
    Headset Creative Fatality
    Mouse Pad Razer Goliathus
    OS Windows 10
    UnknownEngineer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    22

    Quote Originally Posted by Adampvp View Post
    Thanks for the update - let me know how it goes.

    As for installing windows, activation is easy. If you install windows 10 fresh and skip activation at install, once you install ethernet/wifi drivers and connect to the internet (you will need these on a USB), it should activate on its own.

    Just to be safe, note your windows 10 key which you can find by running this keyfinder: https://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/

    Here is a windows 10 iso creation tool: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...d=ms_wol_win10

    It may be a pain, but this is probably one of the first things you should do as it will tell you straight away if its a hardware or software issue.
    Well if my driver merry-go-round wont fix this then I guess I'll have to, I already have an installation media for Win10, and will probably be able to get another Win7 key from a friend if I really screw up that bad.

    Just sucks that the utilities would do this, I am probably in the 10% of people who like to use the software that comes with motherboards. Even did that with my Asrock Z77 Pro 3, that is saying something...

  10. #10
    ROG Enthusiast Array
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    31

    Hey I managed to fix my system by running my ram at 2133 mhz on xmp. (turn on xmp, but then set the speed to 2133mhz).

    Have now been stable 48hrs.

    good luck, let me know if it works for you

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •