cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus VIII Hero Freezeing (ACPI error?)

xXDeltaXx
Level 7
Hi, I've just upgraded from a 7+ year old machine, so I may be a little rusty when it comes to trying to problem solve the following...

When I'm in game (Alien Isolation, occasionally GTA V, so far not X-COM), I'm seeing the occasional system freeze.
I have to do a hard reset to clear the error, windows boots OK and it's like nothing has went wrong.
Checking the event log, I'm seeing the following error, which I think is related (it is the last error I can find before the "system lost power" one, from the restart):
Driver ACPI returned invalid ID for a child device (5).
After a bit of googleing, I'm still not 100% sure what this is.

System specs;
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VIII Hero,
CPU: Intel 6700K (no overclocks),
RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengence LPX 2133 (4x 8GB),
Storage: 512GB 850 Pro SSD as Boot, 2x 4TB WD RED Pro in RAID 1 via the onboard Intel controller
GPU: ASUS Strix 980Ti (no overclocks)
PSU: EVGA Supernova 1000P2

Motherboard BIOS is up to date, windows is up to date, all drivers are up to date...

Any ideas...?
95 REPLIES 95

xXDeltaXx
Level 7
Well, I've put a support e-mail to ASUS now - see if that turns up anything...

xXDeltaXx wrote:
Well, I've put a support e-mail to ASUS now - see if that turns up anything...

I have a similar issue. Happens to me playing battlefield and the new battlefront beta. I could game from 20mins to an hour and be ok. Then the whole thing freezes and I can't do anything except restart.

Let me know what happens with support.

Hi, support fed back that there is a new BIOS out - although I still get the freezing, it may be a little less often... maybe.
However, a member of the LTT forum with the same issue has said that the update seems to have stopped him getting the freezing...

still get the freeze with the latest bios 1001 and still the acpi error before system crash.

Did you have any problems with the 0802 bios? It seems to work better for some people.

I didn't try the one it shipped with - updated pretty much straight away to the 0802 BIOS...

I'll try and wait until their support get back in touch - see what they suggest, then, yeah, I'll try an older BIOS.

I have noticed that the Event log does have other entries with the same error - as far as I know these have not resulted in system freezing, only the times it occurs during gaming (I admit that may be more opinion than fact).
Product Name: Microsoft Windows Operating System
Product Version: 6.1.7600.16385
Event ID: 56
Event Source: Application Popup
Locale ID: 2057.
General details state "Driver ACPI returned invalid ID for a child device (5)."

If that contributes anything of use...

GREEN27
Level 7
uninstall the audio driver completely, then let windows install the default driver.
the official driver from Asus have issues

I just checked my even viewer and noticed the same error on a Maximus VIII Ranger, I made a post of it own about it because I didn't notice this error in the event viewer.
One of the solutions suggested to me was to re-install Win10, and to NOT install anything from the disk that came with it. Apparently it is an issue with AI tuner.

I haven't tried this yet though, I need to back up so many things.

GREEN27 wrote:
uninstall the audio driver completely, then let windows install the default driver.
the official driver from Asus have issues

Well, Andy at ASUS support said to clear my CMOS... I did that, no change. I checked my memory with Memtest 86 - no errors.

I did as you suggested; remove the Realtek driver and let Windows install a generic one... no freezes as of yet... So, that is looking to be the issue. Will feed that back to Andy and see what he suggests.