Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    ROG Member Array

Question Maximus VIII Hero Freezeing (ACPI error?)

Hi, I've just upgraded from a 7+ year old machine, so I may be a little rusty when it comes to trying to problem solve the following...

When I'm in game (Alien Isolation, occasionally GTA V, so far not X-COM), I'm seeing the occasional system freeze.
    I have to do a hard reset to clear the error, windows boots OK and it's like nothing has went wrong.
    Checking the event log, I'm seeing the following error, which I think is related (it is the last error I can find before the "system lost power" one, from the restart):
    Driver ACPI returned invalid ID for a child device (5).
    After a bit of googleing, I'm still not 100% sure what this is.

System specs;
    Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VIII Hero,
    CPU: Intel 6700K (no overclocks),
    RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengence LPX 2133 (4x 8GB),
    Storage: 512GB 850 Pro SSD as Boot, 2x 4TB WD RED Pro in RAID 1 via the onboard Intel controller
    GPU: ASUS Strix 980Ti (no overclocks)
    PSU: EVGA Supernova 1000P2

Motherboard BIOS is up to date, windows is up to date, all drivers are up to date...

Any ideas...?

ROG Member Array

Well, I've put a support e-mail to ASUS now - see if that turns up anything...

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by xXDeltaXx View Post
    Well, I've put a support e-mail to ASUS now - see if that turns up anything...
    I have a similar issue. Happens to me playing battlefield and the new battlefront beta. I could game from 20mins to an hour and be ok. Then the whole thing freezes and I can't do anything except restart.

Let me know what happens with support.

ROG Member Array

Hi, support fed back that there is a new BIOS out - although I still get the freezing, it may be a little less often... maybe.
    However, a member of the LTT forum with the same issue has said that the update seems to have stopped him getting the freezing...

ROG Member Array

still get the freeze with the latest bios 1001 and still the acpi error before system crash.

ROG Member Array

Try older bios

Did you have any problems with the 0802 bios? It seems to work better for some people.

ROG Member Array

I didn't try the one it shipped with - updated pretty much straight away to the 0802 BIOS...

I'll try and wait until their support get back in touch - see what they suggest, then, yeah, I'll try an older BIOS.

I have noticed that the Event log does have other entries with the same error - as far as I know these have not resulted in system freezing, only the times it occurs during gaming (I admit that may be more opinion than fact).
    Product Name: Microsoft Windows Operating System
    Product Version: 6.1.7600.16385
    Event ID: 56
    Event Source: Application Popup
    Locale ID: 2057.
    General details state "Driver ACPI returned invalid ID for a child device (5)."

If that contributes anything of use...

ROG Member Array

uninstall the audio driver completely, then let windows install the default driver.
    the official driver from Asus have issues

ROG Member Array UnknownEngineer PC Specs
    UnknownEngineer PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus Maximus VIII Ranger
    Processori7 6700K
    Memory (part number)Crucial Ballistics Sport (2x8GB)
    Graphics Card #1GTX 970 Gigabyte G1
    Storage #1128GB Sandisk Ultra Plus
    Storage #23TB Seagate
    CPU CoolerCorsair h110i GTX
    CaseBitfenix Ghost
    Power Supply750W EVGA supernova G2
    Keyboard G170+
    Mouse G502
    Headset Creative Fatality
    Mouse Pad Razer Goliathus
    OS Windows 10

I just checked my even viewer and noticed the same error on a Maximus VIII Ranger, I made a post of it own about it because I didn't notice this error in the event viewer.
    One of the solutions suggested to me was to re-install Win10, and to NOT install anything from the disk that came with it. Apparently it is an issue with AI tuner.

I haven't tried this yet though, I need to back up so many things.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by GREEN27 View Post
    uninstall the audio driver completely, then let windows install the default driver.
    the official driver from Asus have issues
    Well, Andy at ASUS support said to clear my CMOS... I did that, no change. I checked my memory with Memtest 86 - no errors.

I did as you suggested; remove the Realtek driver and let Windows install a generic one... no freezes as of yet... So, that is looking to be the issue. Will feed that back to Andy and see what he suggests.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast