cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Back up and running properly 4790k

boeingaviation
Level 7
Hi folks,

Well its been a couple of months since I posted with having problems with my pc.

In gaming I was getting freezes, and artifacting. Turned out that my graphics card was faulty & also the EVGA precision X Software was causing a freeze with the OSD running. Haven't tried the latest version, but uninstalled the one I had installed and pc is puurring now.

So I wanna just do a test to see if I can lower my vcore (currently on auto), and at 4.4Ghz it gives me 1.232v, however I would like to see if I can get it a bit lower as on hot days where I live I can hit 56c degrees max on my CPU.

I have a corsair h80i, Asus Maximus Vii ranger, 16gb ram &, i7 4790k.

I've only uses ROG realbench once before but understand this is the program to use to get better temps, however I don't wanna test the GPU but the last time I ran the test it was testing the GPU aswell.

Would just like some advice on how to use it and also my vcore.

Thanks
i7 4790K @ 4.4GHZ 1.145v/Asus Maximus VII Ranger/16 GB Kingston Hyper X Savage Red DDR3-1600MHZ 1.5V/Asus ROG Strix 1080ti OC 11GB/EVGA 750W Supernova G2/Corsair H110i AIO Cooler/Corsair Graphite 780T case
13 REPLIES 13

Nate152
Hello boeingaviation

56c is great temp but you should still be able to get the vcore lower.

On the extreme tweaker tab set the cpu core voltage to manual and enter in 1.20v in the cpu core voltage override. If you still have realbench installed click stress test beside benchmark, turn it white and select how many GB of ram you have, the 15 minute test is fine.

If you pass the test with 1.20v try 1.19v and test, if you pass try 1.18v and test etc.. Keep doing this until you get errors, freezing or BSOD then bring it back up one.

Let us know how low you're able to get the vcore.

boeingaviation
Level 7
Hi Nate,

I was able to pass realbench at 1.20 & 1.19v, (1.18v caused micro freezing on AIDA64 OSD). Highest temp was 62c on Core 2, others were between 57-62.

I have a couple of questions to ask though.

I went into the Extreme Tweaker, set the vcore to "Adaptive", put 1.190v in the "Additional Turbo Voltage ", then set to "Offset +" mode and put 0.001v making it go to 1.191v if needed.

When I rebooted the machine it flutuated between 1.191 +/- 1.188, 1.189, 90 etc.

I want to set to adaptive so the volts drop on idle, but how to stop it fluctuating so much.

Also does the latest version of Realbench use AVX instructions as I read the blurb when I started the program. I thought AVX was not good for Haswell Chips.

Would like to get the vcore on adaptive at 1.190 so I can get lower temps, no need to overclock at moment just wanna get temps down.

Cheers,
i7 4790K @ 4.4GHZ 1.145v/Asus Maximus VII Ranger/16 GB Kingston Hyper X Savage Red DDR3-1600MHZ 1.5V/Asus ROG Strix 1080ti OC 11GB/EVGA 750W Supernova G2/Corsair H110i AIO Cooler/Corsair Graphite 780T case

Nate152
If it's dipping a little below what you set and is stable I wouldn't worry about it, lower volts = lower temps. You can try setting Load Line calibration in DIGI+ to medium (4 or 5) to see if that helps with the voltage drop.

I'm not sure if realbench uses avx instructions but your temps look really good.

boeingaviation
Level 7
Update: Have managed to get volts down to 1.151v and it has passed an hour on Realbench.

When using realbench what does it mean when it say's "Result Hash Match!", does that mean it's passed that test.

Just been playing Prepar3d and no problems there.

I was just curious, why would the Auto put the volts to 1.232v if it's running fine on a 1.151v with the occasional slight lag when moving windows.

Nate152
Result hash match means you passed the test !

Because all cpu's are not created equal asus sets their boards based on the cpu's they've tested. I'm not sure what you mean by occasional slight lag when moving windows but 1.15v is great. 🙂

boeingaviation
Level 7
Ok good. Well it passed all tests. What I meant by the lag is I have AIDA64 which displays temps etc on my 2nd monitor.

Occasionally it would (for a split) second freeze when refreshing temps but that maybe related to whole system being under full load.

While playing prepar3d didn't notice any freezing.

Now how do I go about setting adaptive voltage, I understand how it works but when I tried setting it previously at 1.191v I entered 1.191v into the max turbo voltage & set it to the + sign and added 0.001v that it could go up to. However AIDA64 report the vcore back at the auto setting of 1.232v. When I go back into BIOS it was still set to adaptive.

Cheers,

Nate152
After you switch to adaptive mode enter your voltage in the "additional turbo voltage".

boeingaviation
Level 7
Ok and do I need to set the +/- sign to add or subtract voltage or is that not required.

Nate152
You will have to set an offset of +.001v or -.001v for adaptive mode to take effect.