cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus viii hero power problem

toph_07
Level 7
just built my new z170 set. I followed the steps in the manual even double checked it in youtube but on the very first time I turn on the system, only the motherboard's LEDs are lit. not including the 00. It has no signal on the monitor and the chasis fans and watercooler are not working/spinning.
don't know the problem I need help.
SPECS:

Processor -Intel core i7-6700K
MoBo -Asus z170 Maximus VIII Hero
GPU -(no graphic card yet) test GPU is inserted
Memory -corsair vengeance LPX 16gb (2x8) 2400mhz
PSU - Corsair CX600M
CPU Cooler - Deepcool Captain 240 Watercooling Hybrid
Casing - NZXT NOCTIS 450

(See attached Photos)
38 REPLIES 38

Menthol
Level 14
It is very hard for me to see the pictures, do you have the 8 pin power cable connected along with the 24 pin?
What do you mean by test GPU? you can use the on die GPU for video, is that test GPU in the top X16 PCIE slot or is it in the X1 very top slot, it is hard for me to tell by the pictures but it should be in the X16 slot

Menthol wrote:
It is very hard for me to see the pictures, do you have the 8 pin power cable connected along with the 24 pin?
What do you mean by test GPU? you can use the on die GPU for video, is that test GPU in the top X16 PCIE slot or is it in the X1 very top slot, it is hard for me to tell by the pictures but it should be in the X16 slot

disregard the gpu, sorry for the confusion. yea I have 8pin power cable with the 24 pin

NemesisChild
Level 12
That Corsair PSU would not be my choice but most of the web reviews seem favorable.
Have you tried posting with only one memory stick and different dimm slots?
Recheck the CPU socket for bent or missing pins.
Remove all USB devices, disconnect the drives then try posting with only essential hardware.
You may have a short, remove the MB from the case and test on a cardboard box.
Intel i9 10850K@ 5.3GHz
ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E
Corsair H115i Pro XT
G.Skill TridentZ@ 3600MHz CL14 2x16GB
EVGA RTX 3090 Ti FWT3 Ultra
Storage: WD Blue SN550 2TB NVMe M.2
EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
ASUS ROG Strix Helios GX601

NemesisChild wrote:
That Corsair PSU would not be my choice but most of the web reviews seem favorable.
Have you tried posting with only one memory stick and different dimm slots?
Recheck the CPU socket for bent or missing pins.
Remove all USB devices, disconnect the drives then try posting with only essential hardware.
You may have a short, remove the MB from the case and test on a cardboard box.

what psu would you prefer?..

Chino
Level 15
Remove your CPU and heatsink and examine the CPU socket for any bent or missing pins. Report back your results.

deybdeybdeyb
Level 7
Sorry for reviving an old topic, but this is my current problem. It was fine for a month then this happened. I did some isolation as stated in my previous thread:
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?82923-VIII-Hero-QCode-41-when-OC-ing

To mitigate, I power off the psu for a couple of minutes then turn on the psu then power up the CPU. Apparently, moving the psu power source from 220v to 110v also solves the problem.

So I RMA'd my CoolerMaster V1000 psu and then changed it to Seasonic P1050. However after a month again, the problem persist hence I am reviving this old post.

I am sure that this is not a PSU issue, either its the MB or the CPU as Chino mentioned. I'll try to remove it and check the MoBo pins and resit the CPU and see if problem persists.

BTW, toph.07 did you fix your problem? If yes, hope you can share your findings. Thank you.

Nate152

deybdeybdeyb
Level 7
@Nate152, actually no code as the board wont power up. Same as the OP's post, motherboard LEDs are just on. And pressing power wont power on the system. Note that I changed PSU from CM V1000 to Seasonic P1050 which technically isolated the PSU. 🙂

I'm still isolating (except resitting the CPU, perhaps tomorrow I'll do it). For now, I did some BIOS settings:
SVID support: disabled
Anti power surge: Disabled

deybdeybdeyb wrote:
@Nate152, actually no code as the board wont power up. Same as the OP's post, motherboard LEDs are just on. And pressing power wont power on the system. Note that I changed PSU from CM V1000 to Seasonic P1050 which technically isolated the PSU. 🙂

I'm still isolating (except resitting the CPU, perhaps tomorrow I'll do it). For now, I did some BIOS settings:
SVID support: disabled
Anti power surge: Disabled

how do you access the BIOS settings when it won't even power on?