cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G750JM Completely Dead, No Power, No Lights.

MayumiSparkles
Level 7
So my Asus G750JM which i purchased around March of 2014 is completely dead. It shut off and will not power on anymore, when plugged in none of the lights even light up.

- I have two AC adapters, both of which are working (tested with multimeter)
- I tried with and without the battery
- I tried with and without the HDD installed
- I tried reseating the RAM
- I tried the trick where you remove the battery, CMOS battery, and AC adapter, then hold power button for 45 seconds
- I checked all of the ports making sure there is no damage or anything in there causing a short of some sort
- I opened it up, there was hardly any dust, there doesn't appear to be any visible damage or odors from any components

This laptop is not even two years old, and it is completely dead. Before it died, I also had several other problems with it, including but not limited to.

- Dust particles between the LCD and backlight (seriously asus?)
- Defective audio jack (replaced)
- Defective AC adapter (replaced)
- Screen fluttering out of control when hinge is in certain positions (still defective)
- Speakers cut out at high volume and don't work properly until playing with volume for a bit (still defective)
- Windows 10 does not have proper touchpad drivers (stop recommending people upgrade to it, please)

I've worked as a computer technician and as a software engineer for many years, I know my way around a computer inside and out. I have owned many laptops over the years and I have to say without a doubt that this is the biggest pile of junk I have ever owned.

I would like any advice anyone has to revive my laptop from the dead so I don't have to purchase a whole new one.

Don't tell me to send it back to ASUS for repair unless it's free, I am not spending hundreds and waiting a month to fix this I would rather sell it for parts and buy a new one.
7 REPLIES 7

Jali24
Level 7
Hello! Have you checked if the motherboard gets power with multimeter?

Maxter
Level 9
Jali24's right... maybe the plug pin is broke...

iiesolutions
Level 7
Did you ever find out the problem?

MayumiSparkles wrote:
So my Asus G750JM which i purchased around March of 2014 is completely dead. It shut off and will not power on anymore, when plugged in none of the lights even light up.

- I tried the trick where you remove the battery, CMOS battery, and AC adapter, then hold power button for 45 seconds
- I checked all of the ports making sure there is no damage or anything in there causing a short of some sort
- I opened it up, there was hardly any dust, there doesn't appear to be any visible damage or odors from any components

This laptop is not even two years old, and it is completely dead. Before it died, I also had several other problems with it, including but not limited to.

- Screen fluttering out of control when hinge is in certain positions (still defective)
- Speakers cut out at high volume and don't work properly until playing with volume for a bit (still defective)
- Windows 10 does not have proper touchpad drivers (stop recommending people upgrade to it, please)

I've worked as a computer technician and as a software engineer for many years, I know my way around a computer inside and out. I have owned many laptops over the years and I have to say without a doubt that this is the biggest pile of junk I have ever owned.

I would like any advice anyone has to revive my laptop from the dead so I don't have to purchase a whole new one.

Don't tell me to send it back to ASUS for repair unless it's free, I am not spending hundreds and waiting a month to fix this I would rather sell it for parts and buy a new one.

iiesolutions
Level 7
Symptoms of the problem were when playing games the system kept switching from the state of 'plugged in and charging' to 'not plugged in' , the screen would dim and your game would glitch due to running on battery only. Then eventually, no power from the power cord or at least the system does not recognise the power cord and runs erratically. If the battery is depleted your system is dead.

Two things fix my problem:
1. On the motherboard there is a separate chip to control the power jack... I bought through china the same part but they sent me the wrong one but was compatible... I did not use it as it required a different male end of the power chord... my original chord had a large end with a pin in the center... the one they sent me was much smaller. Anyway I reordered the correct power jack controller chip... it worked for a while but eventual failed the same way. I tried everything the person on this original post did to no avail. Finally, I took the laptop apart again and put the part the was originally shipped but was wrong. By happen chance I had an old Toshiba laptop that had a power supply that had and end that would fit but the BOX was only 2.0 Amps and I required 3. plus... anyway I plugged it in and it worked... 'Plugged In and Charging'. I started a game (GTA V) and while loading the game the system returned to not plugged in state and again relying on the battery only and clichy ... I took the battery out and when loading the game the system shutdown by itself,,,

2. So then I took both power cords and cut the ends off and spliced the new male end on to the old BOX or cord.... IT WORKS PERFECTLY NOW!!!!

MayumiSparkles wrote:

iiesolutions
Level 7
Just checked in with my boy who is playing GTA V and the system is still plugged in and is fully charged. If the person that originally posted this issue still has the problem and still has the laptop and wants to sell it, please reply... I will buy it as I know the system inside out now!

MayumiSparkles wrote:

I had a similar simptoms, but I've tried and mobo gets the power, I also get the schematics, but don't understand it much, but as far as I do, I tried to check and the voltages from power like are OK. Is it possible that there's BIOS chip fault? It also shows no lights at all, when I plug it in, the mobo gets the power, and in few checkpoints in the circuit, the voltages are correct, but the laptop is DEAD. I've also tried all those tricks with battery etc... but it's still dead/no lights at all.

Which chip did you order/how did you identify it?

Thank you

Julskey
Level 10
MayumiSparkles wrote:

Hello Mayumi, if you are not handy with DIY and ordering from China as iiesolution suggested, better contact him, sell himyour laptop save anymore trouble and buy a new laptop.
On another note, I have upgraded my old G74SX to Windows 10 and everything works great. I've used a touchpad driver I believe - if I remember correctly - was from the G750 drivers page, it was one of the two drivers for touch pad. Installed kb filter and etc. Function keys and touch pad was then working as it should.