cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

rebuilt computer because of dust

m0nk3n
Level 7
i took the computer apart piece by piece and had them on a wooden table. took each piece outside to blow them free of dust.
got them all dust free and put the computer back together. it works but i have a total of 24gb ddr3 ram installed 4 x 4gb 1866mhz + 4 x 2gb ddr 3 1600mhz = 24gb... but started it up and boot screen came up saying new processor installed press f1 to enter bios.
i also applied new thermal paste. while doing that i noticed a thin white line along the outer plastic wall and the pins on the cpu socket.
i have now 18gb of ddr3 ram installed. i pressed the go button just in case since thats what helped me last time but it still said 18 gb ram on the boot screen.

how do i know if its the motherboard or the ram there is something wrong with? can i do something other than tests? like try to remove the white line i saw on the cpu socket or just buy a new RIVE mb?

can i try to reseat the memory 1 by 1? btw: cpu-z shows 24gb ram. all eight sticks...
6 REPLIES 6

Nate152
Hello m0nk3n

I'm surprised your pc even boots with that ram configuration. I would remove the 4x2GB kit and just use the 4x4GB kit.

Thermal paste in the cpu socket is not good, it could be causing the cpu to not make contact with some pins as to why it's only reading 18GB. You could try getting it out the best you can with maybe a toothpick being extraordinarily careful. If it's non conductive thermal paste that's a plus but that's still a scary predicament.

If cpu-z is showing 24GB then you may not even have any problems.

You should really be running 16GB, 32GB, or 64GB.

m0nk3n
Level 7
i have removed the 4 x 2 gb kit and now using the 4 x 4 gb. i have reseated in all slots and the ones that work is the 3 most left slots on the left side of the cpu socket and the one slot at the far right on the right side of the cpu socket. other configurations either increases or decreases from 8gb to 12 gb. i have 16gb working config now.

Nate152
Your ram isn't running at it's full potential with that configuration. if the other slots are not working you might want to inspect the cpu and cpu socket to make sure the thermal paste is not on the cpu contacts and there are no bent socket pins.

Check with a magnifying glass in good light, look close and carefully to make sure ALL the paste is off and ALL the pins are evenly spaced.

m0nk3n
Level 7
i'm not good with quirking stuff. i might try it and fail since i never do this stuff. i'm good with building stuff. i might buy a new RIVE eventually. or upgrade to x99... thx 🙂

I removed the thermal paste in the LGA. and none bsod after first boot after quirking 😛

toothpicks man toothpicks 😄

Nate152