cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confirming G750JW RAID setup works properly

alborz
Level 7
Hey guys,

I have a G750-JW laptop with an additional SSD as my primary drive (Linux) and then I used the original two HDDs as RAID 0 for Windows 10 (I set it up with help from this forum actually!). How can I make sure that this RAID setup is working the way it should (that it's faster, etc -- and please don't say that "if it's setup properly then it works" lol I still wanna make sure it works properly)? Obviously I would run tests (maybe using that Crystal program) but what are the original specs of the HDDs to make sure that it's not running the same? Googling these hasn't really helped as I get a lot of conflicting information and I'm not sure what the RAID system *should* be running at in comparison (seems like everyone gets different results somehow).

To help, here are the original specs of the G750JW:
Intel Core i7 4700HQ Processor
Intel HM87 Express Chipset
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA GTX 765M 2GB
2 x 1 TB HDD in SATA 3.0 (there's a SATA 6.0 but that's on my SSD)

Also, do I need to install Intel RST Drivers? https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25165/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST-RAID-Driver

If I could get specific information on what the specs should be (and what specific specs should be compared to the RAID numbers), and specific steps on how to make sure it works properly, I'd really appreciate it 🙂
14 REPLIES 14

Maxter
Level 9
you should be able to see within the Intel RAID controller software that it's active

Maxter wrote:
you should be able to see within the Intel RAID controller software that it's active

what software is that?

alborz
Level 7
There has to be some specs I can compare it to, I just want to make sure that based on the specs of my laptop and setup, that the RAID I've set up is working properly and that's done best by comparing its performance now to what performance should be (so I need to know what that looks like) as well as what performance *was* without the RAID setup. Any help would be appreciated.

redduc900
Level 9
What's the make and model number of the 2 x HDDs?
Laptop: Asus G750JZ

redduc900 wrote:
What's the make and model number of the 2 x HDDs?

They're Seagate ST1000LM024 HN-M101MBB; 1 TB at 5400 RPM on a Serial ATA 3Gb/s.

redduc900
Level 9
Check out this thread...

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?20322-I-have-a-question

The OP has the same HDD in the G75VW-BBK5, and in post #6 he has links to both ATTO and CrystalMark tests that he ran on the drive. You could compare the test results of your 2 x HDDs in RAID 0 w/ those of his 1 x HDD. That should give you a pretty good idea of the difference in performance, at least until you can find someone else running the same drives in a RAID array.

Thanks for the help, I just checked out the picture from their 1 HDD:

and my own test results are here (2xHDD RAID):

Basically roughly 1.3x faster (but not twice as fast!) in some parts but slower in others, is that normal? I always thought RAID would be twice as fast?

redduc900
Level 9
Check out this thread...

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?50964-IRST-Install

hmscott has some good suggestions for increasing RAID performance.

alborz
Level 7
The only suggestion I haven't tried before was installing ProtectDisk and doing a defrag/optimization, but when I analysed my disks it said they were performing optimally and nothing needed to be fixed.

I guess I'm just confused at how I can't find anything to be technically wrong, but at the same time I was expecting it to be a lot faster, not just 1.3x as fast considering everyone else gets 2x as fast... Why would that be the case?