cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to M.2 And So Far... Not Working

realmcom
Level 7
Hi guys, I'm pretty technically savvy and am usually able to work out most stuff. I have the VII Gene and a Micron M600 256GB M.2 which is not being detected at all. System works perfectly fine off a standard 2.5" SSD w/ SATA cables.

Any ideas what I'm looking for? Totally stumped here.
11 REPLIES 11

volts240
Level 7
easy, need to goto BIOS and under PCI Express devices , select the M.2 from the drop down
F10 and save, system will then find the drive and boot from it ..
Devils Canyon Intel i7-4970K ~ Asus Maximus Ranger VII ~ 16 GB HyperX Beast ~ Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 - 2280 SSD ~ CPU Cooler Corsair H105 73.0 CFM Liquid ~ PSU: Thermaltake Smart M 850W 80+ Windows Home Premium x64

volts240@live.co.uk wrote:
easy, need to goto BIOS and under PCI Express devices , select the M.2 from the drop down
F10 and save, system will then find the drive and boot from it ..

99.9% sure I did find and enable that option. I'll double check it when I am there next. If this is where I went wrong, I'm assuming I am able to run this and a graphics card ok?

I did some research after posting here and had some concerns/confusion about PCI-Express M.2 and SATA M.2. Do you know anything about this?

Thanks for the thoughts.

Chino
Level 15
The Maximus VII Gene only supports PCIe M.2 SSDs. The Micron M600 256GB that you bought is a SATA M.2 SSD so it will not work with the motherboard. Return it to the store and get a proper PCIe M.2 SSD.

Chino wrote:
The Maximus VII Gene only supports PCIe M.2 SSDs. The Micron M600 256GB that you bought is a SATA M.2 SSD so it will not work with the motherboard. Return it to the store and get a proper PCIe M.2 SSD.

This, which is why people should look at the bloody specs and make sure everything is compatible....aka RTFM.

OK thanks guys

Looking to swap it for a Samsung 950 Pro 256GB which looks the goods:
http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/minisite/SSD/global/html/ssd950pro/overview.htm...

Hello

Can anyone confirm if the Samsung 950 will work? Or *should* work? I'm hoping it will work even though it's not on the "supported devices" list as 5 drives is obviously far too small a list... and 1 of those for a data drive only!

I called Asus support line for an answer went on hold for about 2 min and got a answer. I don't know if the answer is right. I asked for a Asus Maximus VII Gene is the m.2 slot x2 only or is it x4 capable? He said x4. I do not want to run a pcie x4 adapter to m.2. I just wish to use the m.2 that's built on the motherboard.

RhysLewis
Level 7
Hi , for the VII Gene , BIOS Version 2601 supports NVME onwards , cant see why it would not work , please raise a support case within ASUS SUpport if required to confirm .

I have asked ASUS to update their SSD support list for my ASUS VII Impact , but they refuse to it appears.

I assume you have registered your board , thus it will be easier to raise a Support query case for your query . --> https://account.asus.com/product_reg.aspx?lang=en-us

But I bet my left T that is will work 🙂

I have a Samsung SM951 256GB working fine ,

I wish they would of posted specs spelled out on the Maximus VII Gene were like the specs listed for the VII impact. 1 x M.2 Socket 3 on mPCIe Combo IV expansion card(s), black, *4with M Key, type 2242/2260/2280/22110 storage devices support (Support PCIE SSD only)
Support M.2 Type 2242/2260/2280/22110 SSD card (up to 110mm in length), support PCI express 3.0 x4 standard
RhysLewis wrote:
Hi , for the VII Gene , BIOS Version 2601 supports NVME onwards , cant see why it would not work , please raise a support case within ASUS SUpport if required to confirm .

I have asked ASUS to update their SSD support list for my ASUS VII Impact , but they refuse to it appears.

I assume you have registered your board , thus it will be easier to raise a Support query case for your query . --> https://account.asus.com/product_reg.aspx?lang=en-us

But I bet my left T that is will work 🙂

I have a Samsung SM951 256GB working fine ,