cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot Overclock on ASUS Maximus VIII Hero

Enad1
Level 7
Hi, I'm have a very frustrating issue with the 'latest and greatest' board by ASUS. The Maximus VIII Hero, apparently designed for overclocking, simply will not overclock.

I'm using an i7 6700k. I've set the CPU Ratio to 45, and Core Voltage to 1.35. Disabled any sort of power saving feature that could interfere with the overclock, and while the motherboard and TurboV Core show my multiplier is 45, I'm still at 4.0Ghz in every program I check. CPUZ, Task Manager, and Realtemp still show me at x40 Multiplier.

So I'm not really sure what to do. OCing has been a breeze on every single other board I've ever owned, except this one. I'm 99% sure I'm doing the right thing, as this is all I had to do on previous boards, but maybe I'm missing some other aspect I have to do on these Z170 boards.

It's very frustrating that it's showing me I've edited these values but then when I check them in Windows, there's no change.
I've spoken with a friend who has the same motherboard and CPU and he has done the exact same steps as me and can successfully overclock so I'm just confused and annoyed. Is there anyone that can help me out with this?
13 REPLIES 13

Menthol
Level 14
You didn't disable Turbo in the bios did you as that is the overclock, default settings give you a Turbo boost to 4.2
Overclocking is very easy on this board even with default auto settings if you just enter a multiplier of 45 and leave everything on auto the board will automatically set voltages, they will more than likely be higher voltages than needed but that will give you a starting point from which you can then manually set voltages
I have my 6700K on a Hero at 4600MHZ Turbo using adaptive volts of 1.3
Adaptive volts has been proven to be the best method, I'll post you a couple of bios screen shots

Menthol wrote:
You didn't disable Turbo in the bios did you as that is the overclock, default settings give you a Turbo boost to 4.2
Overclocking is very easy on this board even with default auto settings if you just enter a multiplier of 45 and leave everything on auto the board will automatically set voltages, they will more than likely be higher voltages than needed but that will give you a starting point from which you can then manually set voltages
I have my 6700K on a Hero at 4600MHZ Turbo using adaptive volts of 1.3
Adaptive volts has been proven to be the best method, I'll post you a couple of bios screen shots

Nope, I did disable it. Though even with it enabled it never goes beyond 4.0Ghz.

I've entered 45 multiplier, Sync all cores, and nothing. It never updates.
I appreciate you offering to take shots of your BIOS, but I'm not having stability issues, it simply will not overclock. It won't update values.

I just don't know what else to do.

Menthol
Level 14
These are my settings, every CPU is different and my settings may not work for anyone else, I have a decent CPU and some very high end memory so I am sure my memory settings won't work for anyone else

I ended up turning on Turbo Mode and attempting to OC, which works. It's still not a true OC, so I may try flashing BIOS.

Enad1 wrote:
It's still not a true OC, so I may try flashing BIOS.

Why is it not a "true" overclock?

http://ark.intel.com/products/88195/Intel-Core-i7-6700K-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-4_20-GHz

The 6700K has a base frequency of 4.0 GHz which means the base multiplier is 40. You need to have Intel Turbo Boost enabled if you want to use any multiplier higher than 40. All Core i processors produced during the last 7 years all work this way.

Some motherboards, (Gigabyte), might let you overclock by entering in a high multiplier but what really happens in the background is Turbo Boost is enabled within the CPU regardless if you enable or disable Turbo Boost in the bios. After that, the overclock multiplier is written to the CPU so the same multiplier is used whether 1, 2, 3 or 4 cores are active. (Core Ratio Limits in the Asus bios) If you are overclocking a Core i CPU, you are using Turbo Boost to do that.

Asus decided to follow the Intel definition of how Intel CPUs work and that is how their bios works. Gigabyte created their own definition which is both misleading and wrong. If your CPU is running at 4.5 GHz, your overclock is as true and as real as an overclock can get.

Menthol - Thanks for sharing those screenshots. Excellent information.

Menthol
Level 14
No that is how it works, if you disable speed step and C states or Windows power plan to performance it will remain at the turbo speed

Bram_de_Gruijte
Level 7
thks Menthol I'm going to try those settings out real soon 🙂

Did this ever get truly resolved? I have scoured the internet and even have searched 'fluctuating multiplier' as the issue is frustrating. The multiplier will not 'hold' per-se @45. It will drop to 40 and never does show as overclocked in the bios. Adjusting the base clock will do this, but I've seen plenty of tutorials where they are getting the multiplier to stick and not 'fluctuate.' All CPU enhancements have been disabled outside of Turbo. Any suggestions would be great! Edit: same setup as OP...6700K with Hero VIII Mobo.

BrandonLaw wrote:
Did this ever get truly resolved? I have scoured the internet and even have searched 'fluctuating multiplier' as the issue is frustrating. The multiplier will not 'hold' per-se @45. It will drop to 40 and never does show as overclocked in the bios. Adjusting the base clock will do this, but I've seen plenty of tutorials where they are getting the multiplier to stick and not 'fluctuate.' All CPU enhancements have been disabled outside of Turbo. Any suggestions would be great! Edit: same setup as OP...6700K with Hero VIII Mobo.

Same problem here..if anyone can explain why it fluctuates like that.*