cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't restart correctly : BIOS unreachable

arysemtob
Level 7
Hello,
First of All, I would like to say that I went in many thread to find out a solution to my issue BUT I couldn't find it.
I have an ASUS G751 JY with windows 10 clean install. I went 2 or 3 times into the BIOS by restarting the computer + pushing F2 button to just have a look on it. I've never modified anything.
I tried to do it this evening but the the computer turn off - not completely - and never restart and never turn off.
The only way for me to "restart" the computer is to push a few seconds on the On/OFF button and wait untill it turn off. Then, I start it normally and it works.
So My issue is that I can't access to the BIOS anymore ...
Could someone help me ?
Many thanks in advance
14 REPLIES 14

Gps3dx
Level 12
Hello,
Just to let you know, this issue is discussed in other threads, by other names/titles/details.

Don't worry, you laptop should be fine.
I just your windows is installed on SSD - right ?

1st, if you've read the manual, you should know that you can enter the bios, also, by pressing "ESC" while POST ( i.e during the 1st few seconds after power on ).
2nd, make sure that "fast boot" is NOT enabled, if you're not fast enough to be able to press ESC in time. ( in general it is good that fastboot is enabled, cuz generaly you don't want a slow POST )

if, inside windows, you DON'T have the option to "Restart" - make sure you've installed the ATK ( ACPI ) driver & the NVIDIA drivers.
( I know this effect the "sleep" feature, i.e without nvidia and/or ACPI drivers, you can't sleep - so theremight be a connection with the reboot ability)

in my opinion, your laptop is that good(fast), that you just can't press ESC fast enough, in the right moment.

although, I never heard/read about it - check to see if this happens on different BIOS versions.
Asus G751JT
Samsung EVO 850 120GB + 1TB HDD 7200RPM
Cleaned installed Win 10 HOME
My Guides:

• [POST=538713]ROG LAPTOPS: COMPLETE DRIVER LIST ![/POST]
  • [POST=538713]How to install windows 8/8.1/10 on any UEFI supported laptop the PROPER way[/POST]
  • [POST=538711]HOW TO (EASILY!) UPGRADE FROM WIN7 SP1/8.1 WITHOUT GOING THROUGH THE UPGRADE PROCESS ITSELF ![/POST]
  • [POST=605307]HOW TO REMAP FN+KEY AND SPECIAL BUTTONS: "STEAM", "ROG" & "SHADOWPLAY"[/POST]
  • [POST=539663]Win 10 x64: SETUP USB @SUPERSPEED, NO HANG-UPS! | ACCELERATES USB 3.0/2.0 TRANSFER RATE SPEED TWICE![/POST]

Hello Gps3dx,

Many thanks for your response and Help.
Frankly, I thought that you could only choose the drive to boot on by pressing Escape when it starts.

Before your answer,I googled a little more and found in the AUS website how to do :
It's in French with Picture that averyone could understand - even newbies like me 😉 -
1) Click Turn off while using SHIFT
2) While Pressing F2, Start the computer, you enter directly to the BIOS.
https://www.asus.com/fr/support/faq/1013015/

Gps3dx wrote:

Don't worry, you laptop should be fine.
I just your windows is installed on SSD - right ?

Yes.

Gps3dx wrote:

if, inside windows, you DON'T have the option to "Restart" - make sure you've installed the ATK ( ACPI ) driver & the NVIDIA drivers.
( I know this effect the "sleep" feature, i.e without nvidia and/or ACPI drivers, you can't sleep - so theremight be a connection with the reboot ability)

I've never installed any drivers since my window Clean Instal. Never updated my BIOS
Do you should think I should do it ?
read that new VIDIA drivers on SYNC models are not very fine...
What are you thoughts please ?

Many thanks Again....

arysemtob wrote:
I've never installed any drivers since my window Clean Instal. Never updated my BIOS
Do you should think I should do it ?

Do you trust MS to do the work for you ?
note that the messiah haven't arrived nor will arrive soon ( in the lifetime of planet earth )
thus, don't trust MS to install the most latest/tweaked drivers for you ( although they might install for you a stable driver - which is good for the general population, but it's not good to have on a PC that requires to utilized 120% of its HW).

Because you want your machine to be a top gaming compatible -> you MUST upgrade your drivers:
I.E intel's ( INF, iRST ) (but from Asus get intel's IMEI, CPPC), Nvidia's graphics driver, Asus's audio driver ( to get the special "ROG audio wizard" etc.. ), asus's special utilities like m... also I can recommend performing the "USB 3.0 xHCI" guide, as MS would never offer that solution.

arysemtob wrote:
read that new VIDIA drivers on SYNC models are not very fine...
What are you thoughts please ?

dunno about such talk.
Nvidia is the only driver manufacturer you want to get a driver for your geforce GPU.
You don't have to enable the g-sync feature on an official g-sync ready g751. ( although I wouldn't understand why, as this feature should accelerate your fps while gaining a smoother visuals)
Asus G751JT
Samsung EVO 850 120GB + 1TB HDD 7200RPM
Cleaned installed Win 10 HOME
My Guides:

• [POST=538713]ROG LAPTOPS: COMPLETE DRIVER LIST ![/POST]
  • [POST=538713]How to install windows 8/8.1/10 on any UEFI supported laptop the PROPER way[/POST]
  • [POST=538711]HOW TO (EASILY!) UPGRADE FROM WIN7 SP1/8.1 WITHOUT GOING THROUGH THE UPGRADE PROCESS ITSELF ![/POST]
  • [POST=605307]HOW TO REMAP FN+KEY AND SPECIAL BUTTONS: "STEAM", "ROG" & "SHADOWPLAY"[/POST]
  • [POST=539663]Win 10 x64: SETUP USB @SUPERSPEED, NO HANG-UPS! | ACCELERATES USB 3.0/2.0 TRANSFER RATE SPEED TWICE![/POST]

Hi arysemtob, I am having similar issue with my G751 JT, cannot restart correctly, it will not turn off or restart, looks like the shutdown process is interrupted and stuck. However, I could shutdown properly.

I just bought the laptop few days ago, upgraded a Samsung EVO 250gb SSD and did a clean windows 10 install on it. Any idea what is wrong with the restart process?

i have asus G751JY-T7312H and i have the same problem. i cant't restart windows 10 correctly. when pc shutdown to restart it shutdowns monitor but it doesn't go over the "black screen". leds of power and battery are even turn on (also when the screen is turn off). does anyone know to solve that problem?

Danix Danilovic wrote:
i have asus G751JY-T7312H and i have the same problem. i cant't restart windows 10 correctly. when pc shutdown to restart it shutdowns monitor but it doesn't go over the "black screen". leds of power and battery are even turn on (also when the screen is turn off). does anyone know to solve that problem?

Yes mine is same issue as yours. I am not sure if it is windows 10 problem as I didn't not notice if this problem exists before I clean install my windows 10.

I believe it should be software or driver problem, doesnt look like hardware problem since can shutdown properly. Can you shutdown properly?

i have updated windows 10 to version 1511 and now the problem seems solved. try to update the OS

Danix Danilovic wrote:
i have updated windows 10 to version 1511 and now the problem seems solved. try to update the OS

The windows 10 that I installed is version 1511, but the problem still persists. Any other kind soul who experienced this problem could help?

Hi,

I am having the exact same issue, I have tried all sorts to resolve it. I believe it has something to do with the BIOS update 210 as it only started happening after i updated that. I hope someone can figure this out.

Thanks
YM