cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ram kit 16x2 or just one 32 kit - Maximus VII Hero i7 4790k

michele_miele19
Level 7
Hello everyone I just bought 2 x CMD16GX3M2A1600C9 to get 32gb of ram on my desk , everything seems to work correctly . But I wanted to know because now returned to my provider available one kit 32gb ( CMD32GX3M4A1600C9 ) which compared to my two kit supports quad channel .
My question is : is more convenient to use one kit 32 ? and also whether I should take this one kit 32 with my 4790k and Maximus VII Hero I could exploit the Quad Channel or would normally 2xDual Channel ?
23 REPLIES 23

MeanMachine
Level 13
HI michele.miele1991 🙂

Recommend you use one kit. Mixing kits, even of the same spec can be problematic. Check the DIMMs you choose are on the ASUS QVL.
We owe our existence to the scum of the earth, Cyanobacteria

My System Specs:

MB:ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero/WiFi GPU:EVGA GTX 1080 sc PSU:Corsair AX-1200i
CPU:
AMD R7 2700X Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i Case: Corsair Carbide 780t

Memory:G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZR SSD:Samsung 500GB 960 EVO M.2

[/HR]

michele_miele19
Level 7
thanks for the quick response , I consulted the instruction manual of the ram compatible and popped what I just bought CMD16GX3M2A1600C9 . So I bought 2 sets of this series placed on manual so basically I built myself kit 32gb . Now that I found the kit available directly from 32gb would like to know whether it is worth taking that although not shown in the manual of the ram , partly because the latter is able to support quad channel feature that I doubt I can exploit my hardware but I since you retroadattano also dual channel so I ask you what should I do if staying with two kits from 16gb to 32gb or take directly

Nate152
Hello michelle.mielle1991

If it's working with two 16GB kits I don't see the need to return it. As MeanMachine says though you want to get a single kit rather than combining two identical kits to avoid potential problems, sometimes you get lucky and sometimes you don't.

In this case if it's working for you, might as well use it. 🙂

michele_miele19
Level 7
I activated the XMP profile for now is fine but I got to run long session games or something before you run into a problem I would fix by installing the kit 32gb which by the way is also quad channel even with my cpu and mb not believe either possibiel get it ... I am tempted to buy the kit 32gb

LordofPressure
Level 7
hello michele.miele1991

please listen and read the posts from Natel52 and MeanMachine.
Maximus VII Hero with I7-4790K (i have the same components too) don't support Quad-Channel. Ever higher the capacity from a single RAM-chip , so much more can cause it problems.
One RAM-chip in a slot =single-channel , two RAM-chips (example: 2x16GB as Kit) = 32GB Dual-Channel. 4 Slots with 4 RAM-chips (4xKit) = 4x8GB = 32GB Dual.
I7-4790K supports only Single or Dual-channel. i think you don't need more than 32GB capacity ,when you add all RAM-chips.

but you can do all what you want. 🙂

Nate152
If it's giving you problems then yes you should return it no ifs, ands or buts.

Can they exchange it for this G.Skill Trident X 32GB 1600MHz kit? It's what I'd recommend for your motherboard if it doesn't interfere with your cpu cooler.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231629

michele_miele19
Level 7
thank you all for the answer, then I will have to opt out of one kit from 32gb to avoid future problems , the G.Skill I had noticed before but I was not so much attracted despite the relationship True quality / price and latency better than the Corsair . In any case I would like to keep myself on the Corsair Dominator Platinum but at the same time, I ask the G.Skill what they have in most excluding the latency ?

NemesisChild
Level 12
If your build is just for gaming, 16GB is more than enough...32GB would be overkill.
Intel i9 10850K@ 5.3GHz
ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E
Corsair H115i Pro XT
G.Skill TridentZ@ 3600MHz CL14 2x16GB
EVGA RTX 3090 Ti FWT3 Ultra
Storage: WD Blue SN550 2TB NVMe M.2
EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
ASUS ROG Strix Helios GX601