cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will my computer still boot after BIOS update?

JOSHSKORN
Level 7
I forget the exact version of BIOS I'm on, I think it's 0603 or something like that.

To start off, I took my old computer's hard drive, where the motherboard had basically died and plugged it into my new computer, my R5E build. It worked like a charm. At the time, I was on Windows 7 Ultimate.

I've since "upgraded" to Windows 10 Pro, thus certain features of Windows 10 are missing due to my install being an upgrade and not a clean install.

From what I know about BIOS updates, I'd heard that some BIOS updates disallow installs of Windows earlier than Windows 8. Is there any truth to that at all?

That said, will I have anything to worry about when upgrading my BIOS?

I do plan on doing a clean install when I get new hard drives in a few months, as I'm currently on a SATA II drive, I want M.2 if/when it comes out in the 1TB capacity. Really, there's no rush to upgrade my BIOS, but I'm curious to see if it'll improve stability with XMP overlocking settings. As of right now, I have my BIOS set at default, my RAM isn't running at it's XMP 2800 speed, and when I apply that setting, my computer boots, eventually but I always get this "overclocking failed" message, press F1 (I forgot the exact key press) to modify your BIOS.
2 REPLIES 2

Chino
Level 15
If done properly, you have nothing to worry about. And yes, more recent BIOS revisions do enhance DRAM overclocking.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Yeah, should be no problem...either EZ flash or Bios Flashback (my preferred method). Will not affect Win validation.

http://event.asus.com/2012/mb/USB_BIOS_Flashback_GUIDE/

You have two BIOS chips on the board as a failsafe in any case. Just don't update the second BIOS until you have been running the new one and are happy you are stable...if at all.

The "overclocking failed" message is often RAM related...later BIOS do have tweaks for RAM...

If you have further problems with XMP look to see the XMP profile is setting voltage correctly (vdimm) and/or try adjusting SA voltage