cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus Xonar U7 Compact 7.1 USB + Sennheiser HD700

MegaTheJohny
Level 7
hey guys, I would like to know if this sound card (Asus Xonar U7 Compact 7.1 USB) would be fine for my headphones SENNHEISER HD700 (150 Ohms)? I need to go with external USB card because I can't install regular sound card duel to my custom water cooling loop setup. So please give me advice. thanks
5 REPLIES 5

Tuoni
Level 7
MegaTheJohny wrote:
hey guys, I would like to know if this sound card (Asus Xonar U7 Compact 7.1 USB) would be fine for my headphones SENNHEISER HD700 (150 Ohms)? I need to go with external USB card because I can't install regular sound card duel to my custom water cooling loop setup. So please give me advice. thanks

My honest opinion..
You have 700 dollar headphones, why get stingy now when it comes to something to actually drive that headphone????

To answer your question; will it work? yes the U7 will be able to drive the HD700. The real question is do you want that.
Apparently you're willing to spend 700 dollar on headphones so you better also be willing to spend some serious money on a decent USB DAC to really enjoy the HD700.

MegaTheJohny
Level 7
can u give me advice ? what USB DAC I should get ?I don't know any better than U7 🙂

I spent all my money for headphones.. so I would like to am for DAC arund 200$ or so..

I will use this headphones mainly for gaming and music

Tuoni
Level 7
If you're on that budget i would suggest something like the Mayflower Electronics Objective2 + ODAC Rev. B for around 260 dollars.
More expensive then the U7 but it will completely blow the U7 out of the water.

As an extra bonus you won't have to deal with wonky Asus drivers 🙂

MegaTheJohny
Level 7
thanks for the help.. I will try it out and let u know 🙂 Just need some time to get this in Europe...

Tuoni
Level 7
Well for my own peace of mind i feel like i do need to say to you since you were looking at the U7 that the Objective2 that i mentioned is an "audiofile" DAC. The Objective2 is an USB Audio Class 1 device which means it's USB plug & play. It doesn't come with drivers or a fancy looking control panel with all kinds of audio fluff functions like EQ, presets, upmixing, surround sound, virtual surrond sound or any other function that colors audio unlike the U7. The Obejective2 is all about digital audio in (USB) and analog audio out (headphone jack) with keeping the audio as natural as possible, nothing more nothing less.