cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

980 TI 3DMark 11 Artifacts

PieSnatcher
Level 7
I just received my shiny new 980 TI STRIX (OC) and have been having a spot of trouble.

Most tests that I put it through are fine, but I'm hesitant to overclock the card because I've been having pretty glaring artifacts at the default settings during one of the 3DMark 11 tests. Specifically, I get bands of vertical lines striping across the screen during the second benchmarking test in the free basic edition of 3DMark. I tried the OC, Gaming, and Silent modes while running GPU Tweak II. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the most recent graphics drivers as well. I tried plugging in a 970 into the computer and it runs the tests without a hitch, but obviously I'd like to use the beefy 980 TI that I just purchased.
So far this is the only issue I've seen, but it's a letdown to not be able to see how far I can overclock this card when it feels like I'm walking on eggshells out of the box. I also don't want to brush it off if this is indicative of bigger hardware problems down the line (better get this taken care of while it's new).
So far there doesn't seem to be a moment when the artifacts are consistent, but they always appear at the latest by about the 1000 frame mark in that second scene. They will flicker on and of a few times throughout the test. The remaining tests run just fine. Switching between the default modes in GPU Tweak II doesn't seem to have an impact (even on the 'underclocked' setting).\
So, if I can get friendly advice on whether or not there is something I can do, or even look into an RMA, that'd be swell. Thanks!

Other general specs
i7 4790K
16 GB 1600 Mhz DDR3 (XMP Enabled)
Asus Maximus VII Hero
Asus 980 TI Strix
Windows 8.1 (64 bit)
850 watt EVGA 80 Plus (Gold) Power Supply
2 REPLIES 2

Nate152
Hello PieSnatcher

Welcome to the ROG forum.

Normally when you see artifacting it's due to overclocking the Vram too far. Since it does it with underclocked settings, you might want to see what asus support suggests, they might want you to rma it.

Thanks Nate152, they had me contact newegg for a replacement. Hope it's smooth sailing from here!