cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What type of screws are these? G751

Rares95
Level 8
So i attempted to replace my DVD drive with a HDD via a caddy, and what i found is that the adapter thing that holds the caddy on the laptop with screws has some really tiny ones holding it together. 5286352864
From what you can see the small screws are thinner than the larger one, and from what i can tell, the larger one i find to be more common in the G751 than the other tiny ones.

My questions is, is the larger one M2.5 and the small ones M2? Because when i tried to measure them they are almost the same (maybe because the grooves, they are visually different in thickness). I need 2 screws that are as thick as the small ones but longer.
4 REPLIES 4

Korth
Level 14
M2 and M2.5 are the bits needed to screw them on/off, no? Whichever screwdriver bit is the perfect fit would be the one you should use. They sort of look like stubby 8-32 roundheads, but it's hard to tell scale on your pic. If you have a decent caliper/gauge you can measure the thread sizes and figure out what they are online.

You can take your screws to a manufacturer/distributor which specializes in screws and fasteners, they could identify exact matches from your samples, but chances are you'd need to order some sort of bulk lot and end up with 9996 extra laptop screws. Any precision machine shop could replicate screws (and even adjust them to spec, if desired) but the per-screw costs on a small run would be stupidly overpriced.

Your best bet is probably to just get Asus to sell you some screws, they used to sometimes offer kits. Laptop service places might also have access to the pieces you need, for nominal cost. Your next best bet is to cannibalize and hoard every screw you can extract from dead laptops.

You might be able to use too-short screws in places, along with some threadlocking adhesive. I've heard of people reworking entire laptops, tapping out every hole so all the screws are uniform (and look pretty), I've seen units where guys have applied rivets or welds instead. Modifying the original equipment/design can sometimes make subsequent work difficult, lol.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Rares95
Level 8
Thanks for the helpful tips! I asked a couple of friends to bring me all the screws they got at home so i can see if i will get lucky. I also called ASUS, but in Romania they redirect you to another firm that specializes in repairs and such and they do not order screws (if they don't feel they will get enough money from you, they will just say whatever).
My other options is to go to local PC repair shops and ask for screws.
Third option is to look for random screws from tool shops (who knows).
Fourth option is to leave it without a screw. From what i can tell, the caddy fits very tightly in the space, and would require some force to pry out (would not want to risk though). You are more likely to remove the cover before it comes out, and after that you would have to push it with something from the inside of the service bay.

joshindaphils
Level 11
I've had good luck going to service shops and simply asking, I've done this a few times and I've never paid for the screw even after offering to.

Korth
Level 14
You might find some identical or similar screws on desktop computer stuff. Old hard drives and floppy drives have lots of neato screws. Old CD or DVD players or drives, too. Lots of teeny screws inside VCRs and tape decks and anything else with moving parts, but less chance of anything fitting unless yours are a common standardized size. lol, try Asus first, they can at least identify the part number or specs if nothing else.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]