cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Couple of queries

the_msp
Level 9
This week I re-cased and added two x EVGA GTX 970's and have a few queries.

I have seen (on this forum I think) that it is bad practice to use the included dual-molex to 6 pin PCI-e power adapters. Why is this?

Is it ok to use a 3-way SLI bridge for 2 way sli (using the two other slots with the middle one not connected to anything)?

Struggling to get the two 970's working with my existing quadro 450, every time I install one driver it seems to undo the other one... think that's a battle I'll have to fight myself

Thanks
3 REPLIES 3

Hardliner
Level 11
If your MOBO is an R5E, then the first and third PCI-e slots are the ones you are supposed to be using when inserting two video cards because those particular slots (only) have 16 lanes. Also, if you are indeed using the 1st and 3rd slots like you say, then yes, you need to use your 3-way SLI bridge to connect your two video cards.
¡¡¡ I__ju$₮__₩₳₦₮__₮☮__₱£₳¥__₮h€__₲₳₥€__₩i₮h☮u₮__i₮__hi₵₵u₱i₦₲,__₱l€₳$€ !!!

the_msp
Level 9
Yes it's an R5E. I have a 2 way which might stretch but the 3 way looks better anyway, and after I resolved some driver issues it's finally recognising the SLI in nVidia control panel.

Any input on the PCI-e power adapters?

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Yes, triple bridge works great for two way SLI spaced apart like that...even gives the cards much needed rigidity.

I have never used those adapters...always had PSUs with dedicated PCIe power...which is probably best but I can't think the adapter is not OK. I would just imagine it is best to use separate molex cable to connect the adapter...i.e. with nothing else running off molex before or after...and I'd be happier using two separate cables probably...not daisy chaining two molex connections on one cable to the same adapter if you see what I mean...