cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus Strix 980 Ti - noise question.

lpiotrowski211
Level 7
Hello. I want to ask. I have the same noise on low fan speeds from my Asus Strix 980 Ti , like here:

Check from 0:00 second to and stop ( till ) in 0:26 second :

Is this normal?
11 REPLIES 11

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Hard to say...difficult to gauge exact volume over the internet...but sounds like plenty of cards I have known.

Having said that marketing reckon "provide 2X reduced component buzzing while under full load" so you might be well within rights to send it back because that does not sound any quieter than many cheaper cards....

lpiotrowski211
Level 7
OK 🙂 Last question. He also turn off 0 db fan mode? He adjust manually fan curve? I mean he's fans are working on in windows just before test? Because i am not sure if i am hearing fans or not.
Just listen at start from 0:00.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
You can hear fans but I have no idea if they are case fans or GPU fans or mix of both

I don't hear extra noise from fans as test starts though so probably running

lpiotrowski211
Level 7
But this is hes second video. And fans of gpu are working even on windows just before test. So he propabbly use custom fan curve?

And this is noise coming from gpu? is this normal?

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Well, as I said, it is normal to hear sounds from GPUs yes and exactly those type of sounds.

Since I can set whatever level of volume I like here it is impossible to know if that is loud or not or recorded close up etc.

Having said that, that sounds very loud to me...especially for a GPU marketed as quiet in this respect.

The only cards I have had that have not made a noise are my present Titans...designed specifically not to make any noise with premium components.

Everything else has made a noise...more or less...of exactly that kind. Generally the more expensive GPUs with better VRMs make less but as you see not always. Sometimes it is a particular PSU/GPU combo that makes more noise or less...

The fans come on if the GPU reaches certain temp....maybe custom fan/ maybe GPUs are at temp from making previous runs?

lpiotrowski211
Level 7
Ok last thing. Can you tell me. On second video hes fans are on , even on idle ( on windows ). Just before test hes fans are running.

But on first video i want to know. They off or on in windows ( idle )? What you think? Thx

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
I have no way of knowing for sure...If I knew that I would would know the wining lottery numbers for next week too :p:o:D

I suspect they are on....

kkn
Level 14
that is the components on the GPU it self, not the fans.
just listen on your GPU's your self when they are under heavy load you will hear the components on the GPU it self start whining. ( case door off and get close to listen )
on my 2x 780's i heard it bether then i do on my 980ti.

lpiotrowski211
Level 7
My card on 45% fan speed sounds like this ( this is example with evga 780 Ti but my card giving the same noise on high speed :

I DONT MEAN COIL WHINE I MEAN FAN NOISE:

And i mean that seconds, please listen carefully: second 0:33 - 0:49 and second 1:04 - 1:15

Is this normal?