New ROGer Array

How do I recover my windows license after a complete wipe of the SSD in the G771?

Being a noob to UEFI, I completely wiped my drives before installing the windows 10 preview some time ago.

Is there any way I can recover my Windows License?

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by BeardNinja View Post
    Being a noob to UEFI, I completely wiped my drives before installing the windows 10 preview some time ago.

Is there any way I can recover my Windows License?
    If you install the right version of windows, the serial is not needed because it's taken by the UEFI bios.

ROG Guru: Blue Belt Array Gps3dx PC Specs
    Gps3dx PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Current: G751JT | Retired: G55VW, G51JX
    MotherboardInc M.2 slot
    Storage #1Samsungs EVO 850 128GB
    Storage #21TB HGST Travelstar 7K1000 (HTS721010A9E630)
    CPU CoolerMother Nature & Thermodynamics laws
    Mouse Logitech MX 518
    Headset/Speakers Logitech T6060
    OS Cleaned installed Windows 10 HOME x64
    Accessory #1 Leap Motion

Quote Originally Posted by styling100 View Post
    If you install the right version of windows, the serial is not needed because it's taken by the UEFI bios.
    you're partially right... but one might think from your answer that @BeardNinja can use his builtin license just by installing win10 without any special efforts -> that is NOT correct.

If your laptop came with pre-installed win 8 -> upgrade to windows 8.1, as only win 8.1 is able to upgrade freely ( till 29.8.16 ) to windows 10.
    ONLY if your laptop came with pre-installed win 10, you can format & install the same version ( i.e home edition with OEM channel ) to utilize the built-in product key.

so, probably cuz you got win 8.1 pre-installed, inorder to "upgrade" your built-in product key to be win 10 compatible, you MUST install win 8.1 ( HOME edition, OEM channel ), and you MUST connect to the internet inorder to "communicate" with MS server, so that your license will be registered in their servers ( you so that by right click on "computer" -> properties -> look at the bottom to check your license status -> if "activated" you're OK to move to the win10 upgrade step )

Then you can choose your "upgrade" route to get windows 10:
    Either perform the "official" upgrade WITHOUT wiping all your data during the upgrade process ( I.E you must NOT choose "Clean" upgrade )
    OR
    you can perform my suggested method to "upgrade" your product key, without the need to go through the "official" upgrade process it self ( I.E you perform a clean install with additional little action that upgrade your OS & product key from being 8.1->10 genuine.

P.S - have you picked a look at that sticky before posting this thread (Guide: How to install windows 8/8.1/10 The proper way (UEFI based installation))?
    I mean - does something missing there, that you couldn't post your question there ?

New ROGer Array

I didn't realize the license is in the UEFI BIOS. (UEFI still puzzles me), I did take a quick scan through that post regarding installing windows the proper way, but disregarded it as I didn't understand the nature of windows licenses these days.

Thanks for the help, I'll get to work going through all that now.

ROG Member Array

Don't you have your license number in BIOS?

ROG Guru: Blue Belt Array Gps3dx PC Specs
    Gps3dx PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Current: G751JT | Retired: G55VW, G51JX
    MotherboardInc M.2 slot
    Storage #1Samsungs EVO 850 128GB
    Storage #21TB HGST Travelstar 7K1000 (HTS721010A9E630)
    CPU CoolerMother Nature & Thermodynamics laws
    Mouse Logitech MX 518
    Headset/Speakers Logitech T6060
    OS Cleaned installed Windows 10 HOME x64
    Accessory #1 Leap Motion

UEFI = latest BIOS technology ~10 years old ( born out of EFI )= CSM disabled
    BIOS = technology that was invented ~40 years ago! = CSM enabled ( in G751 bios menus )
    they're are both do what the BIOS abbr. stands for: basic I/O system - a "basic" software that communicate with the different HW connected to form a PC.

About the "serial" been "in the bios"... it is more coplicated then this, as it has a lot with some special table that the OEM ( ASUS ) has installed inside the "bios" itself... it is called "SLIC", and this "tech" has been advanced since win 7, so it isn't possible anymore to just "flash" a mod bios with "SLIC" with the right info...
    moreover, once your laptop ( once that came with pre-installed windows 8/8.1/10) connected to the net, MS servers got your unique "HW id", and from that moment on, you can transform any cleaned installed windows ( of the same version ) to be a genuine windows, just by connecting again to the internet ( the activation process being done automatically once you enter the "activation" screen by right click "computer"->properties ).
    Moreover, once MS server got your "HW ID" & you're activated, you can activate your any future installation of same window version with a general "product key" - a number that is freely and officially published by MS ( if there is some "traffics" with the auto-activation ).
    Please note: you MUST install the SAME OS version ( if you had win8.1 HOME install that one not PRO version!)
    and you MUST install it with the "OEM" channel.
    To actually know how to perform that installation - please refer to the sticky thread "How to install windows 8/8.1/10 The proper way (UEFI based installation)"