cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ranger VII, sometimes needs 2 startups, forgets some BIOs settings

MaccieD
Level 7
Maybe someone can help me with this problem, it is starting to get annoying.

Since some time now sometimes my system doesn't boot up at the first try :
You push the power button, it boots up to the ROG logo and switches off.
If you start up for the second time everyting workes, but for some reason or a other it seems to forget some BIOS settings.
Most specificly the Memory settings (which XMP profile it should use), that the first and only boot drive is the Windows loader, not any other harddisks or external harddisks and that the primairy GPU is PCI-E, not the Intel one.

I can't give you a specific time it started reacting like this, I think it was after BIOS version 2801. (I'm using 2902 since yesterday and it's still acting the same way)

Here are the specifics of my system :
Intel i7 4790K running at 4,4 GHz
Asus Maximus VII Ranger
G.Skill TridentX 16GB DDR3-2400 CL10 kit running at 2400Mhz
Sapphire Fury tri-X (connected port PCIE_X16/X8_1 running PCIE 3.0 X16)
Kingston HyperX Predator 480GB PCI-E SSD (main boot drive, connected on port PCIEX4_3, running X4 mode)
Soundblaster Z (connected port PCIEX1_1)
Western Digital Caviar 2GB (SATA6G_1) (no boot disk)
Western Digital Caviar 3GB (SATA6G_2) (no boot disk)
Optairc BD-5300S (SATA6G_3)
Corsair CX750M power supply (should be more then enough to run all this)

2* Western Digital Elements Portable 2GB on USB 3.0
6 REPLIES 6

Shakecip
Level 10
Hy ,there might be several problems like:
-try to downgrade your bios to version 2801 and see if the problem still persists
-change the battery
-remove GPU (i read that amd gpus has this problem expecialy if it has ELPIDA Vram)
-remove your motherboard from your case to see if is not shorting out
-reseat the CPU
-Disconect all pheripeals even HDDs,
But my guess it battery, bios, or the gpu and ssd they are conflicted because both use the PCIE lanes.

I just change all the hardware from a "old" desktop case (Bitfenix Raider) to a new case (Fractal Design Define R5) a couple of weeks ago... this problem was with the old and new case.
Same with 2801 BIOS.

I'm not sure, but the problems start when I installed the Sapphire Fury Tri-X , so you are on to something with the conflicting PCI-E lanes.

LordofPressure
Level 7
hello MaccieD
Loosing some BIOS settings is the reason that at first: CMOS battery is empty (change it) or second : your power supply 750w is at limit.

look at my SPECS. i have the same cpu , maximus VII hero motherboard (similar), 2x 8GB RAM , one graphic card GTX 770 on PCIE 16x , two SSD's , ....

i had changed my power supply one month ago , from 750 w to 1000 w (new) , because motherboard shut down durring make a stress-test (system go to full load).

Now my problem is solved and fixed.

Can you test your Sapphire Fury tri-X card, if it causes the issue ? Test it without Sapphire Fury Tri-x , use the Intel HD graphic onboard. I don't think PCI-E lanes are the reason.

tell us , if it helps

MaccieD
Level 7
Just did a stability stress test with AIDA 64 5.50 for 45 minutes.
(CPU, GPU, memory everything)

The system didn't budge.

Haven't bin able to remove the Fury yet, gonna do that when I got some more time.

PS :
After upgrading tot BIOS 2902 a couple of days ago I changed some settings in BIOS.
Changed CPU Level Up from 4.4GHz to auto and Xtreme tweaking to enable.

Don't know how this connects to the startup issue's but the desktop has bin doing it bootups like it's suppose to 🙂

MaccieD
Level 7
Okay, took some time but I just checked what Q-code shows when the desktop cuts out during strarting up.
Q-Code = A0
Looking at the Q-code table it says A0 = IDE initialization is started.

Check,right... which means I still know nothing 😞

All 3 of the harddisks are SATA and the Blu-Ray drive is SATA to...

MaccieD
Level 7
For those who want to know what the problem was :
A shortage of lanes was causing the dual boot requirement.

Because the videocard, PCI-E SSD en soundcard are all PCI-E components this setup doesn't has enough lanes to acoomodated it all