cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with power supply installation

chris46319
Level 7
Strangest thing ever! I'm currently using a crappy Ultra HS650 power supply. Fires up my system perfectly. Recently I've been getting a TON of errors, most of them are critical kernel errors and service control errors. I was told it was likely due to my underpowered power supply.

I recently purchased an XFX PRO1000 power supply. I swapped everything out and tried to fire it up. The MB lit up but I got no power to anyhting. No BIOS. No nothing. I was thinking I got a bad PS. Sent it back for a new replacement. Same exact problem. Sent the 2nd one back for an EVGA NEX750G. Same problem AGAIN!
Seriously, am I missing something???

Maximus Hero7
i7-4790
Kingston HyperX 2x8gb
MSI Geforce GTX750Ti
Samsung 840 EVO
Ultra HS650
14 REPLIES 14

Nate152
Hello chris46319

Welcome to the ROG forum.

When you try to start your pc what code does the motherboard led stop on?

Nate152 wrote:
Hello chris46319

Welcome to the ROG forum.

When you try to start your pc what code does the motherboard led stop on?

When I can get it running with the Ultra PS the code stops at AO

MeanMachine, what would the case have anything to do with the power supply? I doubt I have any bent pins as the system works perfectly with the Ultra power supply.

MeanMachine
Level 13
Hi chris46319 and Welcome to ROG:D

This could be one of many issues and considering you have a working PSU, then the problem lies with either the MB or CPU.
Check all your cabling and if the issue continues, you will have to benchtest the system outside your case to eliminate any issue with the case and standoffs.
Reapply your thermal paste and check for bent pins. If the issue still continues then the MB may be suspect.
We owe our existence to the scum of the earth, Cyanobacteria

My System Specs:

MB:ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero/WiFi GPU:EVGA GTX 1080 sc PSU:Corsair AX-1200i
CPU:
AMD R7 2700X Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i Case: Corsair Carbide 780t

Memory:G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZR SSD:Samsung 500GB 960 EVO M.2

[/HR]

Nate152
That's good, code A0 is what you want to see and means everything is working properly.

But when it doesn't boot or gives you a black screen what is the code stopping on? This can sometimes point you in the direction of the problem.

Nate152 wrote:
That's good, code A0 is what you want to see and means everything is working properly.

But when it doesn't boot or gives you a black screen what is the code stopping on? This can sometimes point you in the direction of the problem.

When I boot with the good PS everything fires as it should.

When I power up with a new PS absolutely nothing happens. The MB does light up when I turn the power switch on at the PS. However, when I hit the power switch on the case or on the MB, nothing happens at all. Not even a faint hint of a wake up. No code on the LED. Nothing!

Nate152
No code from the motherboard is either a faulty psu or motherboard, since your pc works with one psu your other psu is faulty.

I would contact the manufacturer of the bad psu and tell them the problem, they will either rma or give you a refund.

Nate152 wrote:
No code from the motherboard is either a faulty psu or motherboard, since your pc works with one psu your other psu is faulty.

I would contact the manufacturer of the bad psu and tell them the problem, they will either rma or give you a refund.

I did that. I contacted XFX and got a replacement. That one didn't work either. Then I fought an entirely different manufacturer (EVGA) and STILL the problem exists.

I'm at the point where I might believe the MB is problematic but it's just a power supply. Its only job is to provide power. There has to be a hard/fast resolve to this and I'm completely blind to it. I get very few WTF moments but this one is really getting to me. I really don't want to pull my MB.

Since my last post I've checked every wire from the power buttons on the case to the pins on the MB to the cables etc. It completely baffles me that the MB lights up but it won't power on.

I know anything could happen but what are the chances I have received 3 bad power supplies? Granted, they all came from Tiger Direct but still??? 3 bad power supplies?

Nate152
All right thank you

Try pressing the reset button on the motherboard and then starting it with the start button on the motherboard.

Nate152 wrote:
All right thank you

Try pressing the reset button on the motherboard and then starting it with the start button on the motherboard.

Yep, I've done that already with no luck.