View Poll Results: What do you use for sound when your mobile with your laptop.

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Stock speakers

    5 31.25%
  • Headphones

    13 81.25%
  • Portable wired speakers

    0 0%
  • Bluetooth or other wireless speakers

    4 25.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1
    ROG Guru: Green Belt Array
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Reputation
    17
    Posts
    610

    Lightbulb Custom Speakers or Replacment Speaker options for the G751

    I recieved yet another message today about custom speakers for the g751. Awhile ago i meantioned that we replaced some of the office g751 speakers with 1 inch drivers for improved sound. They do sound better more clear and crisp but there are limits to what a tiny driver can do. This thread will give an outline of some options.

    Honestly for decent sound you could get yourself a sound stand and have amazing sound instead of messing with the internals. Thats what i do with my personal g751. I use a toslink mini to optical on the sound stand and get 4.2 300 watt speakers right under my laptop. I bought the samsung hw-h600 and its fantastic its even better than the 2000w 7.1 setup in my living room because your so close and it directs everything around you.

    If you had to have them portable you could make a 3d printed cover with mesh holes and even reposition either the stock or better speakers facing outward towards the user instead of down facing towards metal and directing under the monitor but im not sure how that would sound to people.

    A cheaper option would be to use better laptop speakers and modify them to fit the g751 like Klipsch, Harmon, Bang & Olufsen or Beats (which i personally hate for real music) like these-
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-ENVY-BEAT...item4d311a8eae
    Bang and olufsen ones from an asus n73-
    http://www.asusparts.eu/en/Asus-04G170051700

    Anything is possible but the deciding factor will be cost for most people. These mods will all certainly void your warranty. You could even use a small amplifier in that space to increase the volume but that requires even more modification. The short answer is yes i can do it and yes you could probably do it yourself with some basic skills. But remember the speakers can only put out the quality of sound they get from the g751. The replacements we did in the office sound better but would not hold a candle to anything you could do separate from the laptop.
    Last edited by aeolisio; 09-07-2015 at 05:55 PM.
    3d printed parts and accessories for the G751. You know you want something better than OEM ->https://www.shapeways.com/shops/aeolisio

  2. #2
    ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Reputation
    12
    Posts
    201

    Yes please!

  3. #3
    ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Reputation
    13
    Posts
    195

    Interesting post. Thx for sharing

  4. #4
    ROG Guru: Green Belt Array
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Reputation
    17
    Posts
    610

    Thats what im here for.
    3d printed parts and accessories for the G751. You know you want something better than OEM ->https://www.shapeways.com/shops/aeolisio

  5. #5
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    16

    I followed your advice and got a vizio soundstand first and it sounded good but then i heard the samsung one at best buy and it was so much better i bought it and returned the cheaper vizio. It actually makes a perfect size for a desk. I can always use a DAC for headphones when im using it not at home. i dont think i will every use the asus speakers again

  6. #6
    ROG Enthusiast Array
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    62

    Interesting idea. Main question would be which speakers fit without Problems or with a little modding.

  7. #7
    ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array Black Phoenix PC Specs
    Black Phoenix PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Asus GL551JW
    MotherboardAsus Rampage V Extreme
    ProcessorIntel Core i7-5960X
    Memory (part number)2x Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-2133
    Graphics Card #1EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Classified ACX 2.0+
    Graphics Card #2EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Classified ACX 2.0+
    Sound CardRealtek ALC1150 (On Board Audio)
    Monitor3x Asus PA279Q
    Storage #12x Sandisk X300S 128GB 2.5" RAID0 (OS)
    Storage #24x Western Digital Black 750GB 2.5" RAID10 (Storage)
    CPU Coolerbe quiet! DARK ROCK TF
    CaseCooler Master Stacker 832
    Power SupplyCooler Master V1200
    Keyboard Asus M801 ​Keyboard -​ Red Switc​hes
    Mouse Asus ROG Gladius
    Headset Audio-Technica ATH-M50x
    Mouse Pad SteelSeries QcK XXL
    Headset/Speakers Audioengine A5+B Plus S8B Subwoofer
    OS MS Windows 10 Pro X64
    Network RouterNETGEAR R8000 Nighthawk X6
    Accessory #1 Roland UA-55 Audio Interface
    Black Phoenix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    152

    Nice Idea. I agree that a better speaker is a good way of overcome the lack in sound fidelity, but as you stated not much can be asked from so small ones. Also the way as they are mounted are also a problem, just by seeing the Zenbooks ones (UX501/UX301) were the sound of them are good enough but the position of them pointing downwards just simply makes them sound very bad.

  8. #8
    ROG Guru: Green Belt Array
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Reputation
    17
    Posts
    610

    Quote Originally Posted by TheWitcher View Post
    I followed your advice and got a vizio soundstand first and it sounded good but then i heard the samsung one at best buy and it was so much better i bought it and returned the cheaper vizio. It actually makes a perfect size for a desk. I can always use a DAC for headphones when im using it not at home. i dont think i will every use the asus speakers again
    Yes in my opinion the soundstand is a far superior option. I even ordered a second one for under my monitor for my desktop to replace logitech z906's and we are ordering 15 for work but only for the people who have offices. I actually tried the vizio sound stanbd and the pioneere speaker base but neither comes anywhere close to the fidelity of the samsung hw-h600. Ill probably throw the soundstand in my suitcase when i travel if i have a presentation. Im glad you tried it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sargatanas View Post
    Interesting idea. Main question would be which speakers fit without Problems or with a little modding.
    Unfortunately most manufatures of existing systems dont usually list speaker sizes and often when they do they are inaccurate and wont include depth. We went through quite a few hurdles to get the drivers we used at the office direct from Bose and they would not do that for most companies but we had helped them on a project before. Theres also the issue of impedance to consider if sourcing. Anyone with a little research can come up with a solution if you must have better laptop speakers the question still becomes at what cost and effort is it still worth it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Black Phoenix View Post
    Nice Idea. I agree that a better speaker is a good way of overcome the lack in sound fidelity, but as you stated not much can be asked from so small ones. Also the way as they are mounted are also a problem, just by seeing the Zenbooks ones (UX501/UX301) were the sound of them are good enough but the position of them pointing downwards just simply makes them sound very bad.
    Yes that is an issue thats why i also proposed a 3d printed speaker cover and redirecting the speakers but the screen is still in the way so the best you could achieve is a sort of hybrid with multiple speakers some pointing at a more direct angle under the screen and some pointing towards the edge of the screen. You would still be left with volume concerns as there is a finite amount that the board can put out to whatever option. I maintain that the speaker stand is by far the best option.
    3d printed parts and accessories for the G751. You know you want something better than OEM ->https://www.shapeways.com/shops/aeolisio

  9. #9
    ROG Guru: Green Belt Array
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Reputation
    17
    Posts
    610

    Quote Originally Posted by Pandora\'s Box View Post
    what about doin speaker on the screen? you could print that right?
    You mean a 3d printed screen bezel to fit speakers on it? Theres very little room for anything like speakers and you would not want it larger then the bottom half or it would have a lip when closed but yes its possible. I would still suggest the sound stand or bluetooth speakers instead of that kind of modification. Remember the sound is limited to what the g751 can put out. You could wire an amplifier or use the current wires as an audio input to a small sound board to increase the power and allow the g751 to have additional speakers but im not sure most people would be comfortable with that kind of modding.
    3d printed parts and accessories for the G751. You know you want something better than OEM ->https://www.shapeways.com/shops/aeolisio

  10. #10
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Reputation
    12
    Posts
    8

    Quote Originally Posted by aeolisio View Post
    You mean a 3d printed screen bezel to fit speakers on it? Theres very little room for anything like speakers and you would not want it larger then the bottom half or it would have a lip when closed but yes its possible. I would still suggest the sound stand or bluetooth speakers instead of that kind of modification. Remember the sound is limited to what the g751 can put out. You could wire an amplifier or use the current wires as an audio input to a small sound board to increase the power and allow the g751 to have additional speakers but im not sure most people would be comfortable with that kind of modding.
    i bought the samsung stand and i wish i has sooner. so much better and way way more base then i expect. sum people complain about the regular speakers vibratin touchpad or sumthin but that cant be right cause this things vibrates my desk and my touchpad still dont make noise.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •