cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus VIII Impact No 5GHz Wi-Fi

furrybob
Level 8
I recently got an Impact VIII motherboard, but it's not working with 5GHz Wi-Fi. When you scan for access points, the 2.4GHz ones show up, but not the 5GHz ones. I've installed the proper drivers from Asus' website, and it still doesn't work on either Windows 8.1 or 10. How do you get 5GHz Wi-Fi to work on this board?
37 REPLIES 37

InfernoStorm
Level 10
Did you check the advanced settings for the WiFi? It could be that for some odd reason that the frequency range selected is 2.4GHz only.

Raja
Level 13
1) Do as Infernostorm suggests

2) Check the 5GHz config of your router also - maybe wrong channels set.

I didn't see any settings in the advanced settings for the adapter. The 5GHz config on the router is good. It works fine with my other devices.

InfernoStorm
Level 10
Did you check the advanced settings for the adapter?

Device Manager > Network adapter > Right click WiFi Adapter and select Properties > Check advanced tab to see if there's setting to select WiFi band frequency

Is your computer on the same floor as your router? You do know that 5GHz is only effective for short range (without walls or interference), if you have the system on a different floors that would explain why it only picks up the 2.4GHz ones

Yes, there isn't any setting in the advanced settings to select the 5GHz band. The computer's plenty close to the router. Other devices have no problem connecting to it at the same range.

InfernoStorm
Level 10
Then I have no clue why it isn't picking up the 5GHz APs, normally auto range scanning will pick it up. Maybe check if the antenna is properly installed, you can also consider swapping on some high gain antennas. Best way to check if it's an antenna issue is by moving your system right next to the router and if it still can't pick up the access point then there's definitely some other sort of problem.

furrybob
Level 8
Just did a bit more testing using better antennas. When the computer is 4 feet away from the router. Netsh shows the 2.4GHz signal strength as 100%, and the 5GHz signal strength as 18%. Trying to connect doesn't work because the signal is too weak.

When I move the computer far enough away from the router to not detect the 5GHz signal, the 2.4GHz signal is at about 95%.
So I guess you could say that it technically detects the 5GHz APs, but it's absolutely useless in practice.

furrybob
Level 8
Would this possibly be a hardware problem with the WiFi card?

InfernoStorm
Level 10
That sounds a bit strange, normally most of the onboard wireless chipsets with ASUS boards are known to operate with pretty good range. You could try to RMA the board, however it's probably unlikely that the onboard wireless chipset is defective. I'm almost 100% sure that it's a poorly developed driver for Windows 10 which is causing a huge drop off in performance. I recommend contacting ASUS and letting them know that the range is terrible and they need to develop a better driver.