cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G551JW RECOVERY ISO NEEDED urgently

TerryNicolau
Level 7
Hi,

I loaded sims yesterday and came with a virus that corrupted my boot files.

Which caused a black screen on startup - only the pointer would show.

I tried using Asus troubleshooting to fix it on the boot menu but didn't help at all.

Even tried making a recovery disc from another Windows 10 laptop but didn't help repair the boot files.

So decided to reset and go with a recovery disk from ACER as thought the recovery partition would remain in tact - now I cant even access it and am stuck using a ****ty version of Acer Windows 7 as opposed to my ROG Windows 10.

Laptop is an Asus ROg G551JW.

If anyone has a recovery image they could send me I would appreciate it massively.

Even if its Windows 8.1 I will upgrade it myself.

PS Took it to the it shop down the road and they cant help.

I really dont know what to do I just want my laptop back to normal....
10 REPLIES 10

Edweird
Level 10
I'm not sure if it's the same boot menu we're talking about but since Win10 has boot menu options disabled by default, here's something you can try doing. You can make a custom boot option in your BIOS settings and look for bootmgr.efi (in the limited number of folders you have access to) or something along those lines and force your laptop to boot to that. Depending on your settings this does one of 2 things - either give you the boot menu options that are no longer accessible via F5/F8 or boot into Win10 repair/maintenance mode. Either way, you can try booting into Safe Mode after that or just running Windows Repair, which would have probs fixed your issue since I assume it's too late for that now.

You do know that you can upgrade to Win10 through Win7, right? Just clean it up first to get rid of all the Acer gunk.

Hi there,
Thanks for the reply appreciate it!

I tried the boot into safe mode and tried running windows repair both didn't help.
I also tried option 1 and it just seemed to take me in a loop.

Ended up clicking reset as windows refrsh didn't work.
Clicked the fast option so didn't clean my hard drive

Before I go upgrading, can I install the asus drivers so that I can get my backlight back for the keyboard and the graphics and audio cards? Data is limited so thought using an asus rog recovery iso would bring most drivers back at once and can do a clean install from that?

Edweird
Level 10
If I recall correctly, Win10 ATK drivers (which is what you need for the keyboard stuff) are readily available for the G551, I had to install them on a friend's one and they worked fine after a Win10 install. Same for all the rest of the drivers, since it was a clean install on an empty drive - we just got them off the support site and it all worked fine.

Hi there,

Thanks for your reply and suggestions.

I have managed to get my laptop back to Windows 8.1 and working okish - ATK eys work. However keep getting this error when trying to install other drivers from the asus page:

Bug Check 0x113: VIDEO_DXGKRNL_FATAL_ERROR

Not sure if its cause of Nvida being the incorrect drivers but it happened when I tried to install the intel wireless driver too.

PS I don't seem to have the option to upgrade to 10 😕

Edweird wrote:
If I recall correctly, Win10 ATK drivers (which is what you need for the keyboard stuff) are readily available for the G551, I had to install them on a friend's one and they worked fine after a Win10 install. Same for all the rest of the drivers, since it was a clean install on an empty drive - we just got them off the support site and it all worked fine.

Anthony566
Level 9
For your Windows 10 upgrade just go here

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-10/media-creation-tool-install

and as you have already upgraded to windows 10 you can download and do a fresh install of windows 10 and when you get to the windows key screen just click past it and you system will authenticate with Microsoft once you are online.

Remember to download all the Asus drivers as you will need to install them after the update.

AsSaSsInJ0HN
Level 7
Just download and install All Asus drivers frm asus website .

Asus Support Downloads
Windows10 ISO
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

ZIXEL