cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus VIII Hero BIOS freezing and MEMORY_MANAGEMENT BSOD

GS540
Level 7
So I got this board about 1 month ago and its been very stable up until last week(no changed made from when I got it). My problem is whenever im in the bios i click something(somthing that will save, exit or open a drop down menu with more options) the BIOS will completely freeze. I press the reset button on my case and nothing happens for a good 15-20 seconds, then my pc will boot into windows and BSOD with the MEMORY_MANAGEMENT error. I have ran the ram and stock and with the X.M.P profile and it will happens, I have done a memtest and no errors found. Any ideas?

PC specs
i7 6700K @stock
Asus Maximus VIII hero (latest bios 1001)
Corsair 2400Mhz 2x8GB kit
Corsair HX1050WATT PSU
GTX 780DCII OC
6 REPLIES 6

cybershawngates
Level 7
GS540 wrote:
So I got this board about 1 month ago and its been very stable up until last week(no changed made from when I got it). My problem is whenever im in the bios i click something(somthing that will save, exit or open a drop down menu with more options) the BIOS will completely freeze. I press the reset button on my case and nothing happens for a good 15-20 seconds, then my pc will boot into windows and BSOD with the MEMORY_MANAGEMENT error. I have ran the ram and stock and with the X.M.P profile and it will happens, I have done a memtest and no errors found. Any ideas?

PC specs
i7 6700K @stock
Asus Maximus VIII hero (latest bios 1001)
Corsair 2400Mhz 2x8GB kit
Corsair HX1050WATT PSU
GTX 780DCII OC

what version of windows? I had similar problems with Windows 8/8.1 - no problems since a clean install of Windows 10 (Not upgrade) - latest fast cycle build allows you to activate using Windows 8 License. There are definitely some bugs in the BIOS - sometimes it boots without any mouse support and renders incorrectly. But under windows 8 I think they have driver problems for their hardware that are fixed under windows 10.

cybershawngates wrote:
what version of windows? I had similar problems with Windows 8/8.1 - no problems since a clean install of Windows 10 (Not upgrade) - latest fast cycle build allows you to activate using Windows 8 License. There are definitely some bugs in the BIOS - sometimes it boots without any mouse support and renders incorrectly. But under windows 8 I think they have driver problems for their hardware that are fixed under windows 10.

clean install of Windows 10 Home 64bit from Disk

GS540 wrote:
clean install of Windows 10 Home 64bit from Disk

Win 10 Pro here - so that shouldn't really matter. I installed ALL of the ASUS drivers that came with the support disk and NONE of the utilities (no ASUS AI tweaker etc). Maybe this can help troubleshoot?

EDIT : By Clean install I also wiped the partition in Windows 10 setup and left it without partitioning for windows 10 to handle - the reason being I had problems with BSOD's when trying to upgrade or install windows 10 without wiping. To wipe I used the BIOS > Tools > To wipe the SSD. There's something wonky about disk management and errors occuring on this MB

System Specs

Motherboard:
ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VIII RANGER LGA 1151 Intel Z170

Processor:
Intel Core i7-6700K 8M Skylake Quad-Core 4.0 GHz LGA 1151

Memory (part number):
G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2400 (PC4 19200) Intel Z170 Platform

Graphics Card #1:
ASUS GeForce GTX 970 STRIX-GTX970-DC2OC-4GD5 4GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0

Chino
Level 15

Bram_de_Gruijte
Level 7
I recently flashed the bios to the latest 2902 version solving the problem with not booting from my samsung pro ssd which the former bios only saw after a reboot. Now the system runs fine and boots up fast. I used the ez tweak menu, set it on game pc and after 2 mousklicks there it was, 4150 Mhz CPU speed. Ok I thought, so easy and effortless let's correct the Mem speed then I have 16 Gb of Corsair 3 Mhz DDr4 lined up which the bios lists at
the standaard speed of 2166 Mhz. In the mem menu I kept everything on auto, set the disired mem speed to 3000 Mhz and set the overclock profile to watercooled cpu (ttf 2 or something) . The bios asks: start tuning y/n ok sure, y, hm what followed was my rig rattling along for 5 mins, after that i shut it totally down including removing the power chord for 2 mins to have a full power down. Well, that was a shock, the system refused booting. Ok, I fixed it by plugging in the usb stick with the latest bios file at the bios update port, takes just a minute, then the rig was booting up as it should. But ok, big fun 1 wrong setting and the bios is corrupted...something to work on asus?! With an overclockers Mobo one should be able to experiment without being thrown out directly shouldn't one rofl. Which leads also to the manual, why not elaborate on what one may expect, for instance, when activating the tuning option, how should the PC respond and how long does it take to complete...in my case I shut it down ater 5 mins of just rattling along, I don't want to waste my expensive rig....some better instructions could be very assuring & helpful here is my point of vieuw. Also, many functions in the manual are not explained to their consequences, I can see myself in the bios screen that one can select Y or No but what does it do to my system? Or go launch some nice instructions on youtube for my sake.

Chino
Level 15