cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which Skylake mobo not using -12V DC and which one has replacable clock module

btomi9
Level 7
Hi all,

I am a newbie audiophile and planning to get a linear PSU manufactured for my audiophile needs. I want to choose the best motherboard for my purposes and like ASUS as a brand.

My two questions are:

According to Intel's specs http://cache-www.intel.com/cd/00/00/52/37/523796_523796.pdf v1.31
any ATX (or mATX) motherboard uses (or might use) the following DC voltages: +12V, -12V, +5V, +3.3V. I heard that some mothern motherboards don't use the minus 12V rail, they achive this some other way which I don't know how exactly.

Which modern Skylake motherboards (preferably mATX) do you know for sure that don't use minus 12V DC.

Also, there were some Haswell boards where the clock generator was relatively easy to replace to better ones (although it voids warranty), and I'm curious is there are any new Skylake mobo's that are these kinds of. So when the clock generator module is one separate piece and can easily be replaced by desoldiering.

Thank you!
2 REPLIES 2

InfernoStorm
Level 10
Welcome to the ROG forum!

You might want to post this on Reddit and overclock.net, because there are similar threads with others doing similar projects. On ROG forum I doubt we have people who have the expertise for this sort of thing. Most of the users on here are tech experts but are not audiophile experts with this type of modding experience.

InfernoStorm wrote:
Welcome to the ROG forum!

You might want to post this on Reddit and overclock.net, because there are similar threads with others doing similar projects. On ROG forum I doubt we have people who have the expertise for this sort of thing. Most of the users on here are tech experts but are not audiophile experts with this type of modding experience.

Thank you for the tip, will give it a try.