Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G751JY; 209 BIOS Update 2Tb platter SATA drive not present in OS post load

mpgioia
Level 7
Hi folks,
As per subject.
After doing a 209 BIOS update, the only way I can get my secondary 2Tb platter SATA drive to be recognised in Windows, is to first enter BIOS.. Make absolutely no changes, and just issue an 'F10' to save and quit, and then let Windows boot after that.
Platter is present then.
If I don't do this, then Disk Management shows no platter drive or volumes..
Every power on, I need to step into BIOS first, save and quit, and then continue..

😕

Anyone else noticed something similar
8 REPLIES 8

Gps3dx
Level 12
Hello,
I'm going to throw here a wild guess: Do you work with the pre-installed windows you got since you bought the laptop ?
Asus G751JT
Samsung EVO 850 120GB + 1TB HDD 7200RPM
Cleaned installed Win 10 HOME
My Guides:

• [POST=538713]ROG LAPTOPS: COMPLETE DRIVER LIST ![/POST]
  • [POST=538713]How to install windows 8/8.1/10 on any UEFI supported laptop the PROPER way[/POST]
  • [POST=538711]HOW TO (EASILY!) UPGRADE FROM WIN7 SP1/8.1 WITHOUT GOING THROUGH THE UPGRADE PROCESS ITSELF ![/POST]
  • [POST=605307]HOW TO REMAP FN+KEY AND SPECIAL BUTTONS: "STEAM", "ROG" & "SHADOWPLAY"[/POST]
  • [POST=539663]Win 10 x64: SETUP USB @SUPERSPEED, NO HANG-UPS! | ACCELERATES USB 3.0/2.0 TRANSFER RATE SPEED TWICE![/POST]

Gps3dx wrote:
Hello,
I'm going to throw here a wild guess: Do you work with the pre-installed windows you got since you bought the laptop ?

Correct. Untouched Win 8.1. Have not gone to Windows 10.. nor.. (which I was going to search the rog forum on).. have I received the Windows 10 taskbar tray ever welcoming me to Windows 10.. Though it's an eligible OEM/Retail version .. I would have though I would have been welcomed to it..
*Separate matter .. don't care about that yet*

mpgioia wrote:
Correct. Untouched Win 8.1. ...don't care about that yet*

So my gut was right... :rolleyes: your 2TB is formatted with the MBR scheme and it should be formatted to GPT to solve the issue ( at least that is my idea with the current data you provided ).
You can READ HERE in more details about the root of the problem ( it is an old era tech limitation ).

If i'm not mistaken, An OS that runs from a MBR formatted drive ( through BIOS boot method ) CAN read other drives, that are formatted with GPT layout. ( BUT the OS itself, cannot be booted from GPT drive if you boot from BIOS instead of UEFI, the *latest*-tech-bios-replacement)

thus, if your OS sits on a different drive then this 2TB HDD, then you can use a bootable LIVE-"disk" USB of a linux distro ( like Ubuntu ) to be able to get access to a formatting software (Gparted in the case of Ubuntu ) that can recognize your 2TB drive & format it with the GPT layout. ( NOT as MBR ).
You might need to boot that LIVE-USB using "UEFI:xxxxxxxxxx":
I.E, 1st set in the the BIOS the "CSM" option to "DISABLED" ( I.E to disable bios-legacy mode which causes the UEFI mechanism to work ), then reboot, press ESC to get the boot-selection-menu, then you'll be able to boot the LIVE-USB of ubuntu through UEFI boot method by choosing "UEFI:xxxxxxxxxx" in the boot-selection-menu.

now... to understand a bit better why UEFI is a good thing to have, Please read the following sticky thread I wrote: How to install windows 8/8.1/10 on any UEFI supported laptop the PROPER way
Asus G751JT
My Guides:

• [POST=538713]How to install windows 8/8.1/10 on any UEFI supported laptop the PROPER way[/POST]
  • [POST=538711]HOW TO (EASILY!) UPGRADE FROM WIN7 SP1/8.1 WITHOUT GOING THROUGH THE UPGRADE PROCESS ITSELF ![/POST]
  • [POST=605307]HOW TO REMAP FN+KEY AND SPECIAL BUTTONS: "STEAM", "ROG" & "SHADOWPLAY"[/POST]
  • [POST=539663]Win 10 x64: SETUP USB @SUPERSPEED, NO HANG-UPS! | ACCELERATES USB 3.0/2.0 TRANSFER RATE SPEED TWICE![/POST]

Gps3dx wrote:
So my gut was right... :rolleyes: your 2TB is formatted with the MBR scheme and it should be formatted to GPT to solve the issue ( at least that is my idea with the current data you provided ).
You can READ HERE in more details about the root of the problem ( it is an old era tech limitation ).

If i'm not mistaken, An OS that runs from a MBR formatted drive ( through BIOS boot method ) CAN read other drives, that are formatted with GPT layout. ( BUT the OS itself, cannot be booted from GPT drive if you boot from BIOS instead of UEFI, the *latest*-tech-bios-replacement)

thus, if your OS sits on a different drive then this 2TB HDD, then you can use a bootable LIVE-"disk" USB of a linux distro ( like Ubuntu ) to be able to get access to a formatting software (Gparted in the case of Ubuntu ) that can recognize your 2TB drive & format it with the GPT layout. ( NOT as MBR ).
You might need to boot that LIVE-USB using "UEFI:xxxxxxxxxx":
I.E, 1st set in the the BIOS the "CSM" option to "DISABLED" ( I.E to disable bios-legacy mode which causes the UEFI mechanism to work ), then reboot, press ESC to get the boot-selection-menu, then you'll be able to boot the LIVE-USB of ubuntu through UEFI boot method by choosing "UEFI:xxxxxxxxxx" in the boot-selection-menu.

now... to understand a bit better why UEFI is a good thing to have, Please read the following sticky thread I wrote: How to install windows 8/8.1/10 on any UEFI supported laptop the PROPER way

Hang on...
Pre BIOS update.. boots fine.
Post BIOS update.. suddenly, I need to press ESC to issue boot order menu. I simply select the Drive 0.. the M2 256Gb drive.. which is the default placeholder anyway.. and then when OS loads. I can see my platter. If i don't do this seemingly very cursory step of issuing boot order selection then platter does not load.
No configuration changes.. nothing changed in BIOS. Just a manual force of boot selection menu where i'm selecting the only option present anyway.. just doing so manually... and then platter loads in OS..
I appreciate the reply.. but not of it applies to me.. Or am I not understanding something..

mpgioia wrote:
Hang on...
Post BIOS update.. suddenly, I need to press ESC to issue boot order menu. I simply select the Drive 0.. the M2 256Gb drive.. which is the default placeholder anyway.. and then when OS loads. I can see my platter. If i don't do this seemingly very cursory step of issuing boot order selection then platter does not load.
No configuration changes.. nothing changed in BIOS. Just a manual force of boot selection menu where i'm selecting the only option present anyway.. just doing so manually... and then platter loads in OS..
I appreciate the reply.. but not of it applies to me.. Or am I not understanding something..

And on that note.. implies partition table was never changed/altered. And BIOS vs UEFI is never altered..
Nor do I know what is my boot software choice (i'll check) or partition table.. But it doesn't matter.

mpgioia wrote:
Hang on...

I see.
well , you can always flash the old bios back - do you really got the need to use the latest bios ?
you can search our sub-forum for other thread that discussed & guide how to perform this bios downgrade process.

P.S - what do you mean with "platter" - is it a drive's partition ? or a drive ?
Asus G751JT
My Guides:

Platter being the 2Tb platter secondary drive.
The non-bootable drive. Not a separate partition.. the literally separate drive the G751's come with.. i.e. from your specs your publicising I can see 1Tb HDD 7200rpm.. my version of this. Which is a 2Tb SATA 7200rpm 'PLATTER' drive. Not solid state flash.

mpgioia
Level 7
Buh... Changed BIOS fast boot disabled.. and it boots with both physical drives showing just fine now...
Note to any rog'ers out there incase they have a similar issue...
210 was released recently for an additional BIOS update.. applied that and it didn't make a difference.. just this altered boot setting seems to have fixed it.