Greetings

My spec are

Maximus VIII Ranger z170
6700k stock
2x 8gb RIPJAWS V at 3000mhz XMP stock
970 strix
512GB 850 Evo + 4TB WD
Windows 10 PRO 64
All drivers uptodate acording to Asus page.
Happened in Bios 401 and the new 1001
UEFI bios settings are stock except the memory set to XMP

I noticed something funky with the System process on WIndows 10 having constant 15% Processor usage. This behaviour not always ocurs after a normal boot, it happens after I run or while running a demanding CPU game like Dying Light or running for example Cinebench, after it the system process process and the ACPI thread inside starts to consume cpu time

Further analysis with Process explorer took me to diagnose that the ACPI thread inside the SYSTEM process was the culpid, after alot of trial I found that turning energy save mode inside AI suite 3 and then going back to Performace mode would fix the ACPI thread inside the system process to normal usage under 1%

Reading other threads here take me to belive AI suite 3 isnt read yet for usage in Windows10 there are alot of bugs.
35 REPLIES 35

bannonjacob
Level 7
I have this same exact problem with ai suite 3. The task that pops up as "system" using ~15% of the CPU appears to be linked to something called ACPI.sys+0x1e7f0 (there's another thread on here discussing the same thing, but there are no answers there). You can see this system thread using the ProcessExplorer software.

After looking into this more, I also wonder if it has anything to do with the MEI drivers https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?77522-Maximus-VIII-Hero-Freezeing-(ACPI-error-)/page3

I'm not sure what it is, but it's frustrating not being able to use the Ai Suite software on a fresh new build without encountering this bug.

Hoping for some sort of fix (rather than having to uninstall ai suite).

Mugencow
Level 7
Hi Guys, you are not alone, me having the same issue, you could try to switch between power profile in AI Suite, the CPU usage will be dropped and returned to normal.
Asus's response is damn slow, I don't know they will fix it or not, since I have reported to them that AI Suite is not compatible with Windows 10 three weeks ago.

Mugencow wrote:
Hi Guys, you are not alone, me having the same issue, you could try to switch between power profile in AI Suite, the CPU usage will be dropped and returned to normal.
Asus's response is damn slow, I don't know they will fix it or not, since I have reported to them that AI Suite is not compatible with Windows 10 three weeks ago.

Fresh install of Win 10 x64 with AI Suite and I've seen the same issue with the CPU spiking due to the "System" process (NT Kernel & System). After digging into the processes, the actual culprit is "acpi.sys+0x1e7f0". Thanks to Mugencow's suggestion of toggling the power options, the issue goes away. But, the issue will come back eventually when you return to the original power profile.

Some further searching and I came across this thread on SuperUser.com:
http://superuser.com/questions/577008/system-acpi-sys-is-always-using-about-15-20-of-my-cpu

The resolution is to modify the Intel Network adapter's power settings:
1. Network Connections
2. Ethernet Connection (Intel(R) Ethernet Connection (2) I219-V) > right click Properties
3. click the Configure button
4. select the Power Management tab
5. Under the "Wake on LAN" section, disable both "Wake on Magic Packet" AND "Wake on Pattern Match".

This seems to alleviate the problem.

InfernoStorm
Level 10
So you guys confirmed without AI Suite 3 installed then this doesn't happen?

haven't tried yet with a fresh install of Windows 10 without AI Suite3, nor have it uninstalled

My workaround is opening AI suite and then switching to the Energy Saving Mode, and then back to Performance. As far as I saw when this behaviour happens doing this makes that it wont happen anymore aslong I dont restart windows, but I cant be sure havent had time to have the PC open for several hours

InfernoStorm wrote:
So you guys confirmed without AI Suite 3 installed then this doesn't happen?

I can confirm that the problem goes away when Ai Suite 3 is uninstalled (at least for me).

Mugencow
Level 7
Me too, if no AI suite installed, everything will be fine, I install it because of the FAN Xpert function.
And my problem is much more serious than high CPU usage,
when AI Suite installed and running, all USB ports will not function well, except if device are already plugged in before boot into Windows 10, and
software installation will hang up sometime, I need to change the AI Suite energy profile once in order to make the installation goes on.
It is very annoying.

Mugencow wrote:
Me too, if no AI suite installed, everything will be fine, I install it because of the FAN Xpert function.
when AI Suite installed and running, all USB ports will not function well, except if device are already plugged in before boot into Windows 10, and
software installation will hang up sometime, I need to change the AI Suite energy profile once in order to make the installation goes on.
It is very annoying.

Strange. Your fix half-works; when I change the profile to power saver, the high thread disappears, but if I switch back to performance, it returns.

Edit: Actually, if I keep swapping a few more times it goes away until next reboot.

Mugencow wrote:
It is very annoying.

You should try speedfan. He recently put out a new beta and Maximus VIII works fine with it. Its better anyways as you can create fan controls that allow you to have multiple fan curves based on different temperatures. For example, my fans are all set to ramp up with either a CPU Core hitting my threshold, or my GPU temp hitting it.