cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus VIII Hero - Error code 55

Kestami
Level 9
Hey guys,

On the edge of my seat here, looking for any reason to not RMA and go through the horribly inconvenient process of it. So i've Built a new Skylake build, with the important bits as follows;

CPU: Intel Skylake 6700k
Mobo: Asus Maximus VIII Hero
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4 2400 Mhz CL14 XMP (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00S51XM5Q?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s01)
CPU cooler: Corsair h80i

Initially I had a bunch of problems actually getting windows 10 installed, blue screens and random restarts, but seem to have fixed this. I had my ram in the correct slots, 1 and 3. However, yesterday my computer froze up and on restart gave me an error code 55, which after some research i found to be no memory installed. After a bit of investigation i have come to the conclusion that my ram (of which both sticks work) only work if installed into the right 2 slots, 3 and 4 (which i assume isn't doing me any favours as they'ron seperate chanels).

Things i've tried:

I've flashed the BIOS up to the latest, 1001.
I've checked that my cpu cooler isn't on too tight, loosening up a little but to no avail.
Checked i have no bent pins on the cpu/motherboard. This was one of the first things I've tried.

I'm running out of ideas now. Maybe you guys could throw some ideas at me? Otherwise i'm looking at the painful RMA experience again : (

Thanks,
Shane
13 REPLIES 13

MeanMachine
Level 13
Hi Kestami and Welcome to ROG 😄 Don't wright off the MB just yet. As you say: (looking for any reason to not RMA and go through the horribly inconvenient process of it).

Did you test your Dimms are working OK?
If not, run Memtest86+ from a USB. That will eliminate that possibility.
Go into Bios and set priority to boot from USB, test for 8GB.
Dimms should be tested in slots A2 and B2 as per manual section:1.2.4
Also make sure the Dimms are seated correctly, especially offside to the clip.
We owe our existence to the scum of the earth, Cyanobacteria

My System Specs:

MB:ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero/WiFi GPU:EVGA GTX 1080 sc PSU:Corsair AX-1200i
CPU:
AMD R7 2700X Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i Case: Corsair Carbide 780t

Memory:G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZR SSD:Samsung 500GB 960 EVO M.2

[/HR]

Cheers for the reply. I'll do the memtest very shortly, as we know there can be underlying issues (when using the ram in the right 2 slots i'm experiencing no issues at least user wise, but memtest might say otherwise).

One weird thing is that if i put my RAM in the proper slots, a2 and b2, i get the error 55. However, if i press the memOK button and let it run through it's configuration, i can get into bios and it says "mem tested OK!", However as soon as i reboot from that it goes back to error 55! Strange, eh.

Currently the only config i can get to boot (and then run flawlessly) is b1 and b2 :s anything in the A slots just kills it

So after RMA'ing, i've put my new motherboard in and after running memOK, i've got everything working. However, one strange thing i've noticed is when it first hit the BIOS it had the RAM down as 1600mhz, which i thought was lower than the standard base for ddr4. After about 6 hours usage i've only had one freeze which was similar to when the old motherboard conked out on it's a1 and b2 slots..but it booted back up fine. I'm starting to think I may have a RAM problem too, anyone experienced like this before? I'm going to run memtest again, so i'll post back after i've done that. Any help would be appreciated though, worried we're going to end up at the same place!

Kestami wrote:
I'm going to run memtest again

Memtest86+ is useless for DDR4. Run HCI Memtest instead or the Google Stress App test in Linux. Those two are much more effective. Also if you look in my DDR4 3000 guide, there's a section on how to run HCI Memtest.

So here we are again..

Yeah the RMA was through the supplier, but I had to get a faults number from ASUS first, but they did that within a day once I had told them all the tests i'd ran.

So I was stable for about a week before I stumbled into the bios and realised XMP was not turned on. Weirdly the RAM defaults to 1866, i thought that 2100 was the base speed for dd4? As soon as i set it to 2100 and left the other settings my boot speed issues went straight away, but it wasn't stable (I assumed other changes are needed). However the really annoying thing is that the XMP profile at 2666 just isn't stable either..I've been reading and this seems a relatively common problems, reckon i'm going to have to set all my timings etc up manually? I'm using this ram now;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00TPQPOIS?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

On a brighter note I reckon we're at least passed the error 55's now...fingers crossed..

MeanMachine
Level 13
Hi Kestami 😉 Glad to see you up and running.

Was the MB RMA, an exchange from your supplier or repaired by ASUS.?
What were the results of your first Memtest86+,run from your USB. ?
You can obtain your XMP profile for your DIMMs in CPUz, under SPD tab. Then go to Bios and manually key in the timings and voltage accordingly.

My System Specs:

CPU:

[/HR]

Kestami
Level 9
This is annoying me so much..Messed around with 1 RAM setting in the BIOS and suddenly I seem to have lost all usability of the left 2 RAM slots, just like my 1st motherboard. Is there something more to this? Is it possible that this could be a CPU issue with IMC? I'm really lost for words now, I've genuinely never had this amount of problems with a build and half of me wishes i'd have sticked with my trustworthy i5 760..

MeanMachine
Level 13
Hi Kestami
If you make a change in Bios and things go belly up. Its best to clear CMOS or load a saved profile.
Yes the IMC is a possible culprit. Try running @ 1866MHz, as higher frequency may not suit the IMC without tweaking.

Its more probable that Bios needs manually keyed in settings for frequency, timings and voltage to suit your SPD profile.
Try MeMok again, as your DIMMs are proven to be good.
The EUFI Bios can be challenging.

My System Specs:

CPU:

[/HR]

Kestami
Level 9
Going to have another play around when I get home from the office tonight, Just saw a new BIOS was released so perhaps it's possible that could help..I'll keep you updated. Thanks for all of your support so far.

Also i'm talking to a guy @ Asus who's talking me through some stuff, asked me to check if my corsair RAM was on the QVL, i'm pretty sure mine is on there (but my model number is the 8gb version, the one on there is 16gb, i think that would count as a match.
However for some of the Corsair RAM on the list it has a particular version. Anyone had issues with different version RAM to that on the QVL? I'm going to check mine later as you have to look on the actual sticks, apparently.