cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS G551 HDD boot disabled

ravanliyski
Level 7
Hello I have ASUS G551, accidentally I turned of the boot for the HDD. Now when I turn on the computer the keyboard light flashes andd then a black screen appears. My question is how I can reset the boot options. I have tired pressing escape, f2, f9 when I am turning on the computer but nothing seems to work. Moreover I tried to insert a bootable flash drive which has Windows on it, but nothing happens.
7 REPLIES 7

Gps3dx
Level 12
Hello
Sounds like you got misconfig bios.
first turn off the computer, take the battery out of the laptop and disconnect the power adapter, press 10 sec on the "power on" button to completely discharge any remaining electricity.
then connect it back to AC or battery.
after, Please turn on the laptop, press F2 or ESC ( then enter the bios ) -> and reconfig the "boot device" order.

also, make sure you work with the correct boot method for your currently installed OS, I.E the 'CSM' feature in the bios.
( if your OS running on GPT drive, CSM should be OFF. | if you OS running on MBR drive, CSM should be ENABLED )

if you didn't "touch" the OS since you bought the laptop, I.E you work with the pre-installed windows, asus provided you - My guess that CSM should be enabled ( cuz your drive is MBR based ), as Asus just "like" to properly install windows on their products.
Asus G751JT
Samsung EVO 850 120GB + 1TB HDD 7200RPM
Cleaned installed Win 10 HOME
My Guides:

• [POST=538713]ROG LAPTOPS: COMPLETE DRIVER LIST ![/POST]
  • [POST=538713]How to install windows 8/8.1/10 on any UEFI supported laptop the PROPER way[/POST]
  • [POST=538711]HOW TO (EASILY!) UPGRADE FROM WIN7 SP1/8.1 WITHOUT GOING THROUGH THE UPGRADE PROCESS ITSELF ![/POST]
  • [POST=605307]HOW TO REMAP FN+KEY AND SPECIAL BUTTONS: "STEAM", "ROG" & "SHADOWPLAY"[/POST]
  • [POST=539663]Win 10 x64: SETUP USB @SUPERSPEED, NO HANG-UPS! | ACCELERATES USB 3.0/2.0 TRANSFER RATE SPEED TWICE![/POST]

Gps3dx wrote:
Hello
Sounds like you got misconfig bios.
first turn off the computer, take the battery out of the laptop and disconnect the power adapter, press 10 sec on the "power on" button to completely discharge any remaining electricity.
then connect it back to AC or battery.
after, Please turn on the laptop, press F2 or ESC ( then enter the bios ) -> and reconfig the "boot device" order.

also, make sure you work with the correct boot method for your currently installed OS, I.E the 'CSM' feature in the bios.
( if your OS running on GPT drive, CSM should be OFF. | if you OS running on MBR drive, CSM should be ENABLED )

if you didn't "touch" the OS since you bought the laptop, I.E you work with the pre-installed windows, asus provided you - My guess that CSM should be enabled ( cuz your drive is MBR based ), as Asus just "like" to properly install windows on their products.

Hello,
Thanks for the quick answer I tried what you suggest me.
I have recorded a short video
The computer does not turn off. I have tested with HDMI , still no picture.

ravanliyski wrote:
Hello,
Thanks for the quick answer I tried what you suggest me.
I have recorded a short video
The computer does not turn off. I have tested with HDMI , still no picture.

I saw the video, smart move - thanks.
I think that the bios update procedure gone wrong, thus you don't get any POST screens nor bios/uefi is accessible.
I know from my time with my retired G55VW, there is some kind of asus "Free crash" feature, although AFAIK asus don't mention it in the manual nor any FAQ in their official support site.
This feature should allows you to reflash the BIOS.bin file, is you got it on a usb formatted as FAT32, with the right filename.
for the G55VW it was "g55vw.bin" so i guess for you it is the FULL MODEL name, i.e g551xx.bin ( replace the "xx" with the right ending for your model )

Look at this thread, it has some good ideas you can try to perform to flash again that bios
@this time, don't try to downgrade the bios version, try to install the same version you tried to update to, previously.

Make sure your internet connect on the computer you create this USB, is stable, so you won't mistakenly download corrupt bios zip from asus's support site.
Note that the zip content is the *.BIN file that you should rename & put on the FAT32 formatted USB.

Also note that this procedure might delete all the bios settings, I.E will return everything to "manufacture default" so pay attention to the settings ( like "CSM" enabled / disabled - corresponding to windows running on MBR or GPT drive )

Here are some helpful quotes from that thread I mentioned:

GottiBoi55 wrote:
The BIOS factory reset is as follows.

Hold down Ctrl+Home, then hit power button.
keep holding Ctrl+Home untill you see "EZ-Flash" start.

Now wait until the factory shipped BIOS flash is finished, at the end of this process, it will say "restart in two seconds".
Your laptop should shut down on it's own (it's really important not to interrupt this process), and now you can try to start the PC.

*This operation will reset the BIOS to the factory installed BIO
S*

Don't even think about the CMOS battery, you need to tear down to get to it, and that would void your warranty.

Hope this works for you!

dstrakele wrote:
Give it another 10-15 attempts. Sometimes that resolves a "boot to black screen" issue. Another thing you could try is unplugging, removing the battery and all attached peripheral devices (even an SD card in the Card Reader), then hold the Power On button for 10 seconds, then plug in and start the laptop while holding down CTRL+HOME. Odds are it probably won't get any different results, but your only other option is to send it in for Warranty repair, so what else are you gonna do? You"ll be real happy if lightning strikes and your laptop boots into BIOS Recovery...

GottiBoi55 wrote:
dstrakele is right!
If you see keyboard lights there's a chance for the BIOS recovery to work!

rewben wrote:
hi @Jihilian, the post by @GottiBoi55 and @dstrakele are the only one that was reported to work. please reread the posts and try it out.

i hope you have your stock bios in the c:\, because that is the prerequisite for the ctrl+home combo.

edit: what's the model number of your laptop? the valid name for bios in c:\ is
g75vw - g75vw.bin
g75vx - g75vx.bin
g55vw - g55vw.bin

rewben wrote:
i guess it's just the normal ctrl+home combo but keep repeating until the laptop boots.

first, follow @dstrakele's advice and take out the battery and everything attached to your laptop (including external power source), and then press and hold the power button for about 2 minutes (see here). then plug in the power source:

1. with the laptop turned off, hold the left ctrl key and home key;
2. turn the laptop on;
3. wait for 15 to 20 seconds;
4. turn the laptop off;
5. go to step 1.

read scarletvw's post also (note that he took the battery out, then he turned the laptop on while plugged in).

edit: just a note, f4 key on boot also brings up the easyflash menu.
Asus G751JT
My Guides:

• [POST=538713]How to install windows 8/8.1/10 on any UEFI supported laptop the PROPER way[/POST]
  • [POST=538711]HOW TO (EASILY!) UPGRADE FROM WIN7 SP1/8.1 WITHOUT GOING THROUGH THE UPGRADE PROCESS ITSELF ![/POST]
  • [POST=605307]HOW TO REMAP FN+KEY AND SPECIAL BUTTONS: "STEAM", "ROG" & "SHADOWPLAY"[/POST]
  • [POST=539663]Win 10 x64: SETUP USB @SUPERSPEED, NO HANG-UPS! | ACCELERATES USB 3.0/2.0 TRANSFER RATE SPEED TWICE![/POST]

Gps3dx
Level 12
ravanliyski wrote:
Hello I have ASUS G551, accidentally I turned of the boot for the HDD. Now when I turn on the computer the keyboard light flashes andd then a black screen appears. My question is how I can reset the boot options. I have tired pressing escape, f2, f9 when I am turning on the computer but nothing seems to work. Moreover I tried to insert a bootable flash drive which has Windows on it, but nothing happens.

@ravanliyski - any success reflashing the bios ?
Can you please update how you solve the issue ( even if you do RMA ).
Asus G751JT
My Guides:

Gps3dx wrote:
@ravanliyski - any success reflashing the bios ?
Can you please update how you solve the issue ( even if you do RMA ).

Hello, I haven't enough time last few days to write my answer. Anyway, I sent the computer to Asus repair department in Sweden. Before I tried most of the things you have listed and nothing worked. When asus Provide me additional info about the case I will share with you guys. Thanks again for your quick and professional answers, I really appreciate the effort you made.

ravanliyski wrote:
Hello, I haven't enough time last few days to write my answer. Anyway, I sent the computer to Asus repair department in Sweden. Before I tried most of the things you have listed and nothing worked. When asus Provide me additional info about the case I will share with you guys. Thanks again for your quick and professional answers, I really appreciate the effort you made.

Hello, I have my laptop back. As always the support guys in Upsala, Sweden were awesome. I had my computer repaired in less than a week while I don't even live in Sweden. The problem listed in the log sheet was the processor, more precisely a burnt one.

bartat404
Level 7
I had this exact same issue with my laptop and I ended up having to RMA it.

ASUS ROG GL551JW
Intel Core i7-4720HQ 16GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M