cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The long nightmare is OVER

Cipher
Level 7
:mad::mad::mad:

If all the previous problems aren't enough to warrant my trashing of this G73JH laptop, now I'm getting video hardware errors less than eighteen months after purchase - the system is routinely locking up regardless of driver used with a GPU temp running 70C.

I am DONE with this nonsense. God's mercy on anyone purchasing ASUS laptops, because my experience has been nothing but pain and aggravation. Talking to tech support to see what the operating temperatures and fan speeds should be only took four attempts to get an answer, part of which was "We don't know".

Really? You don't know and can't find out the operating parameters of YOUR OWN HARDWARE?

The summation of the failures of this monstrosity are these:

• Out of warranty by less than one month, the 500GB drive begins to fail.
  • The trackpad has NEVER functioned correctly and ASUS despite having my contact information (remember that stuff we all put in to activate the warranty?) didn't seem fit to email me that the solution to the trackpad slamming the mouse right is to crack the case and fix their screw up.
  • The right side fan got loud, also a month out of warranty, due to impending failure.
  • Batteries? Never in stock and mine's totally dead. I never got more than an hour from it anyway.
  • Second slot for a drive and no cage for it - that's US$50 with shipping and you're on your own for the screws.
  • Atheros Wifi built it, which is has documented and unsolvable problems on mixed 802.11b/g/n networks.

:mad::mad::mad:

*BREATHE*

I'm glad I've got a few days off. The five-year old IBM tablet PC I've gotten from work will be a welcome relief from this piece of garbage. With any luck I can find some sucker on eBay to buy it and get a few hundred for it.
8 REPLIES 8

thesilent85
Level 9
At first i thought the same but looking at my friend msi gt780 it seems that he is also facing similar problems.

All i did is be patient and try to solve every problem at a time.

In the end you will fix all the problems yourself. thats how it goes.

thesilent85 wrote:

In the end you will fix all the problems yourself. thats how it goes.

Yup! That's pretty much the way it it. :shrug:
Read the User's Manual for more info. 😄

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor
Intel Series 510 120 GB SSD

Drivers, Apps and How To's
Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

fostert
Level 12
I can understand your frustration; it looks like you got one of those few flaky lemons that inhabit the "tail" end of the reliability distribution. It is too bad that ASUS never solved your issues for you, though.

If your GPU is overheating try getting a can of compressed air with a thin long nozzle that you can stick right up into the fan area through the vents. Squirt until you don't see dust coming out. Or, disassemble and try a repaste. Who know what you'll find inside along the way; a loose or detached cable, oozed and dried out thermal paste shorting across some junctions from the first time ASUS did it (and used way too much), bulging caps, etc. You could discover the source of your misery in there.
--
G74SX-CST1-CBIL, i7 2630QM 2GHz
32GB DDR3 RAM @1333MHz
GTX560M 3GB DDR5 (192 bit)
17.3" LED 1920x1080
Sentelic TP, BIOS 203
Debian Linux Wheezy (Testing) Kernel 3.2, NVIDIA 295.40

chrsplmr
Level 18
++All... yes patience my friend.

or.... you can go ahead a place a 'buy now' for
$200 on Ebay and PM me the link... yum.

or.. we can try and help.
just relax and be nice to us..sugar gets the bees buzz'n.

**a side note to the rest of us.. we can not expect a tech to be able
to look up information like above in a flash...with all the revisions, versions and
model variations..... they really, really wish they could.**

best of luck OP...ill be watch'n my PM's...just in case.c.

dstrakele
Level 14
I enjoyed your Pre-Christmas story - particularly because the two of you were successful in your efforts! Sounds like your nephew has the right attitude for problem solving. It'll serve him well. A big ol' chunk of anthracite in his mom's stocking for knuckling under, however.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

dstrakele wrote:
I enjoyed your Pre-Christmas story - particularly because the two of you were successful in your efforts! Sounds like your nephew has the right attitude for problem solving. It'll serve him well. A big ol' chunk of anthracite in his mom's stocking for knuckling under, however.

Not sure what happened to my original post. I was trying to edit and may have deleted in error.

Just to clarify, there wasn't anything wrong with my nephew's new Asus laptop. He just needed help hooking to his tv, setting up his Minecraft and Steam accounts, downloading the games, and we did have to update a few drivers, modify controls on his account, etc.

I'm not really minding that mommy let him open it early. We have other relatives spending Christmas weekend, and after they get here, I won't be able to spend much time with him on the phone, so it's ok.

chrsplmr
Level 18
and we sir....are impressed with you also.... well played...
That young man will remember this a long, long time...and
the kindness is sure to repeat itself in his lifetime.........

im with d.....mommy has to wait til the 26th to open hers...
i am chuckl'n also.....dad on a mini.....hahhaha....was it a dell...
the 8yr old will smoke'm...hahahahhahaha....enjoy, enjoy...c.

chrsplmr
Level 18
Yep...awesome.