cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS G751JL - Windows 10 Sound "Jumping" Issues? - solved ?

Zorgon
Level 7
Hello,

Apologies if this has been asked before but my search of the forum failed to find anything.

I recently purchased an ASUS G751JL. On the day Windows 10 was released I opted to upgrade and everything, minus this one issue, has been great.

I have an on going sound issue which can only be described as random jumping in sound levels.

Example situation:

• Volume will be set at 23% (controlled either via the sound keys on the keyboard or manually selecting the volume slider next to the clock).
  • I'll start Netflix up and play a title. Sound will come blasting out at hugely loud volume.
  • If I nudge the volume (lower it or raise it) the volume of the playing Netflix title adjusts to a better level (I.E. a normal level).
  • If I pause the Netflix title and resume, the volume goes nuts again and I have to rinse and repeat the above to fix it.

This situation happens with everything be it if I am playing a video from a file, listening to an MP3 or Spotify, playing a YouTube video and so on.

I researched the problem and some have stated it is an issue with the Realtek drivers. I downloaded the latest Realtek drivers from their site and it made no difference.

Some have said the solution to to disable Windows / Realtek volume effects/presets - I don't have any turned on and turning them on doesn't make any difference to the problem.

Does anyone else out there have this problem and if so could you share the solution to fixing this?

Thanks!
5 REPLIES 5

Zorgon
Level 7
No one else with this issue?

I have the same issue since I upgraded to Windows 10 on my G750, it's definitely a bug with the Realtek Drivers. I've tried upgrading the drivers with no luck. :mad:

Hate to bump an old thread, but this issue has plagued me ever since upgrading to Win10 (full upgrade). Searching and searching and searching proved no viable answers. Most people that have found a "solution" involved uninstalling the Realtek device and choosing a generic High Definition Audio Device, which DOES fix the sound jumping issue, BUT afterwards, your sound will not be as good. For example, watching a show, I'd have to put my volume level to almost 100 (using the generic High Def Audio Device) but using the Realtek (proper) device, volume level of 50 is more then enough. So, this is not a real solution.

Here's how I finally fixed the problem for me. You need to use an old version of the Realtek driver. I was using a driver with the date of 2015, and no previous version was on my system to roll back to (can't remember the version number now, sorry, but it was something like 6.0.1.78xx). I did try the latest version from the Realtek website (dated Jan 13th, 2017) but the problem persisted.

My friend has the same laptop as me (G750JW) as does not have this issue. Looking at his Realtek driver version, it was lower then my original driver: 6.0.1.7535. So I figured this was an issue with newer drivers, that still has not been fixed. So, I tried searching online for his specific driver version - and not trusting these sketchy driver file websites, the only reliable source I could find was the https://www.asus.com/support?_ga=1.122994056.207627793.1473462531

I had to select the Windows 8.1 64bit OS to find the Realtek driver files, but was happy to see an old version being listed: 6.0.1.7304. Downloaded, installed, rebooted, installed some more, rebooted again, and my device manager listed the Realtek driver to be 6.0.1.7304. Tested: problem solved. Sound no longer jumps high after pausing.

Thank God.

Seeing as I have not found this solution anywhere, and thinking some people are using a generic High Def Audio Device instead of Realtek because of this issue, I figured I'd post a long overdue update. And also a warning to anyone with this laptop (or just a Realtek audio device) that is working perfectly: don't update the driver! Not sure when it broke, but seems like somewhere between 7535 and 78xx the drivers just started having this bug. Or incompatibility. I'll stop rambling now, just happy I solved this.

Cheers!

darcNLO wrote:
Hate to bump an old thread, but this issue has plagued me ever since upgrading to Win10 (full upgrade). Searching and searching and searching proved no viable answers. Most people that have found a "solution" involved uninstalling the Realtek device and choosing a generic High Definition Audio Device, which DOES fix the sound jumping issue, BUT afterwards, your sound will not be as good. For example, watching a show, I'd have to put my volume level to almost 100 (using the generic High Def Audio Device) but using the Realtek (proper) device, volume level of 50 is more then enough. So, this is not a real solution.

Here's how I finally fixed the problem for me. You need to use an old version of the Realtek driver. I was using a driver with the date of 2015, and no previous version was on my system to roll back to (can't remember the version number now, sorry, but it was something like 6.0.1.78xx). I did try the latest version from the Realtek website (dated Jan 13th, 2017) but the problem persisted.

My friend has the same laptop as me (G750JW) as does not have this issue. Looking at his Realtek driver version, it was lower then my original driver: 6.0.1.7535. So I figured this was an issue with newer drivers, that still has not been fixed. So, I tried searching online for his specific driver version - and not trusting these sketchy driver file websites, the only reliable source I could find was the https://www.asus.com/support?_ga=1.122994056.207627793.1473462531

I had to select the Windows 8.1 64bit OS to find the Realtek driver files, but was happy to see an old version being listed: 6.0.1.7304. Downloaded, installed, rebooted, installed some more, rebooted again, and my device manager listed the Realtek driver to be 6.0.1.7304. Tested: problem solved. Sound no longer jumps high after pausing.

Thank God.

Seeing as I have not found this solution anywhere, and thinking some people are using a generic High Def Audio Device instead of Realtek because of this issue, I figured I'd post a long overdue update. And also a warning to anyone with this laptop (or just a Realtek audio device) that is working perfectly: don't update the driver! Not sure when it broke, but seems like somewhere between 7535 and 78xx the drivers just started having this bug. Or incompatibility. I'll stop rambling now, just happy I solved this.

Cheers!

Thanks a lot for sharing this solution, I'm sure a lot of people will find this useful.

darcNLO wrote:

Thank God.

Cheers!

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU MAN VERY MUCH!

Sorry for bumping again this thread, but I had this issue since 2016 since my PC updated to Windows 10 automatically. I tried everything except installing older, working Realtek drivers! For Gods sake!!! I just adapted to the situation and thought "Well, guess this is my life now with this laptop". It was really frustrating.

The link you provided is not working anymore but I managed to download some drivers directly from ROG G751JL official support page. The version I'm using now and can confirm is working, is Realtek HD 6.0.1.7427. They are intented for Windows 8.1 64 bit but they work perfectly! Oh my god, this eternal covid quarantine just got 1000x more bearable now lol!

Thank you and I hope more people can solve this dreadful issue as well