cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange video playback

Denaba
Level 7
I have the PG278Q and it has been great for gaming. But one thing I have seen is pretty bothersome. If I play a video file I get this stuttering
every so often. I used FRAPS to see if I can see anything. I played back a video of a B-17 and B-25 in flight together. Video is 1280 x 720 at 30fps
When I played it I can see fraps saying the play back hits 135-144 and things are pretty smooth. But then it will drop and stay at around 75-86
and then that's when you see the stuttering, then it jumps back up to 135-144

So I tried to lower the Hz and change it to 60Hz and ran it again. The stuttering was a lot less, but still there. Fraps said 60 then drops to 40-50
and then the stuttering hits again, but with less frequency.

I tried playing this same video on another monitor/computer and no stuttering. I have an Nvidia GTX780Ti using 347.25 and was wondering if
there is a setting I am missing in the monitor that I need to set when not playing games. Just not sure, let me know what anyone thinks
and if I missed any information needed to trouble shoot this issue, let me know.

Thanks
[Asus ROG Maximus Hero VIII] [Samsung 950 Pro 512GB] [G.Skill 2 x 4GB = 8GB] [Asus PG278Q Monitor] [Asus Stryx 980Ti] [Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit]
6 REPLIES 6

izzyreb02
Level 9
Is G-Sync Mode enabled in Desktop Mode? Have you tried the latest Nvidia Drivers?

The one I did use at the time was 347.88 but not sure if that fixed anething other than keep G-Sync on, only in full screen while Fixed Refresh Display on Desktop mode.

I have heard that there is some performance difference with Kelper and G-Sync (Less than 1%) That is also why the PG279Q cant Run 165hz (since the display port they done on the Kelper wasnt done right to bring the frame instantly to the monitor).

Unless you have a GTX 900 Series Card.

At the moment I'm using the lattest drivers but of course G-Sync is on by default on desktop mode.

Thanks for the reply izzy. My video card is a GTX780Ti and the newer drivers are giving me way lower framerates in games so I went looking around and found some sites stating that for the 700 series cards the 34x.xx are very good to them.
I'm at 347.25 which for just a single card application is really good on framerates.

When I play any game the light at the bottom right is red. When I exit out of a game the light goes to white which from what I read means that G-sync is off.

You got me thinking, I am going to try to go in to the NVCP and turn it off in there and see what that does. I'll report back, hopefully this is not a monitor issue rather than a driver. I love this monitor.

Thanks again, will let you know
[Asus ROG Maximus Hero VIII] [Samsung 950 Pro 512GB] [G.Skill 2 x 4GB = 8GB] [Asus PG278Q Monitor] [Asus Stryx 980Ti] [Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit]

OK, I turned off G-sync in the NVCP, but still same issue. Fraps shows during playback 130-144 and then when it drops to around 60-70
the stuttering begins for about 5 seconds then it jumps back up to 130-144 where it is smooth. Then it does it again and again and again

Not sure why this is happening, never did this with my old Dell U2410 so I really hope this has nothing to do with the PG278Q.

Just annoying as hell, but great on gaming.

Any more try-outs to fix this? Thanks Izz for your help. Still will chase this down.

Thanks

Volt
Level 9
I don't think it's the monitor. It's the signal that's getting to your video card. That's affected by your computer and video card. Like the person above mentioned, it could be a driver issue. But if it happened to me, I'd think it might be related to my computer multitasking while the stuttering is happening. Maybe your anti-virus program is scanning, or windows is managing a swap size, or something is downloading in the BG, etc.

A quick way to rule out that it isn't your monitor, is to use a different monitor to see if the stuttering is still occurring in a predictable manner.

@Volt - thanks for the ideas. I actually do have another monitor connected. It an older Dell which max's out at 60Hz. I play the video there and same thing, stuttering.

I just tried my sons band practice video which when I had a Dell U2410 it was fine, but same thing; stuttering. I'll try some different drivers as you mentioned as well and I'll let you know what I find.

Thanks

Denaba
Level 7
Well been a while, but I resolved the issue. I hope this may help anyone else who may have my setup or similar issues.
Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
GTX 780Ti

I went back to look at my Microsoft updates since I do not install every single one. But I came across one that I started to read in to. KB3048761 dated 4-21-2015 was an update that I did not install because it was classified as "optional" and at the time it seemed like my system was fine. The update fixes an issue with Windows 7 desktop which then updates some files. But then it was discovered that this update created a memory leak. So moving along my list I found that on 8-18-2015 there was another released update, but this time it was classified as a recommended and checked automatically. This update was fix to the memory leak and continued to resolve issues with the desktop. KB3078667 fixes the dwm.exe and updates more files. Since I did these updates I do not have the stuttering any more.

Using the Nvidia control panel, when I select G-sync in full screen and then watch videos in full screen , everything is fine. But if I go to windowed I get the problem again so I just select G-sync for full and windowed and I can watch any video in either one without stutter.

I'm no pro at updates, but I would go step by step and installing KB3048761, reboot, then install KB3078667. If you have hidden these two and you unhide 3078667, you will not be offered KB304876. So unhide KB304876 first install it, reboot, then unhide KB3078667 and install that one.

I hope this will help anyone else and thank you to all who responded and your time. 😉