cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to have headphones and speakers at the same time on rear jacks?

MP7
Level 7
Hello guys,

I'm having serious problems setting it up the way that I have speakers and headphones at the rear, so NO FRONT, I'm not using the front panel(it's not even connected) !
So I have my speakers plugged in the green(line in) and anyway when you click on it it asks you what did you plug in or what do you want to set it to (right window in screenshot below), and the speakers work just fine then.
If I set this to headphones and really connect the headphones there they work, but then I cant connect my speakers(simple stereo speakers) anywhere else because on all other jacks it doesnt ask me what did I just plug in.
So yes after I plug in the speakers on any jack, in the software the jack lights up but when you click on it nothing happens.

Also, after installing audio drivers at windows start I had that error "atkex_cmd.exe has stopped working", not sure if it's related.
Using Windows 7 64 bit.

This is unbelievable for such a high end board!
10 REPLIES 10

MP7
Level 7
Yes Chino,

Realtek Audio Driver V6.0.1.7571 for Windows 7/8/8.1/10 32bit & 64bit.(WHQL) downloaded from here , should I try an older driver version?

Chino
Level 15
MP7 wrote:

So I have my speakers plugged in the green(line in) and anyway when you click on it it asks you what did you plug in or what do you want to set it to (right window in screenshot below), and the speakers work just fine then.
If I set this to headphones and really connect the headphones there they work, but then I cant connect my speakers(simple stereo speakers) anywhere else because on all other jacks it doesnt ask me what did I just plug in.
So yes after I plug in the speakers on any jack, in the software the jack lights up but when you click on it nothing happens.

From what I understand after reading your post, you're trying to connect your headphones and speakers at the same time to the motherboard. But you're not using the front panel connectors.

So my question is this. If you're connecting your headphone to the read green port, where are you connecting your speakers?

Chino wrote:
From what I understand after reading your post, you're trying to connect your headphones and speakers at the same time to the motherboard. But you're not using the front panel connectors.

So my question is this. If you're connecting your headphone to the read green port, where are you connecting your speakers?

Yes you got it correct.
I had speaker on green port and they work fine of course, but when you try to put headphones in any other port you can't get them to work, because all other ports don't ask you what you just plugged in.
Same as the opposite, when I plug headphones on green, I select I plugged headphones and they also work, but then speakers don't work on other ports.

I had it all perfectly working on my previous mobo (old EVGA P55 Classified 200) and it also uses Realtek's HD Audio, I don't get this.

MP7
Level 7
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?76324-headphones-and-speakers-working-in-same-time-X99

So it seems it's confirmed, for people not using the front audio ports it's impossible to have speakers and headphones on rear ports. Unbelievable!
No other choice but to buy new speakers that have a rear connector for headphones, the ones I have right now have it at the front and I don't want it to be visible when it's connected.
Or another option is buying wireless headphones.

Is there a fix for this issue? I had a MSI Mobo before and I could always choose output type when I plugged both speakers and headphones to the rear panel in order to get simultaneous audio output.

Will changing PIN numbers in registry help?

MP7 wrote:
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?76324-headphones-and-speakers-working-in-same-time-X99

So it seems it's confirmed, for people not using the front audio ports it's impossible to have speakers and headphones on rear ports. Unbelievable!
No other choice but to buy new speakers that have a rear connector for headphones, the ones I have right now have it at the front and I don't want it to be visible when it's connected.
Or another option is buying wireless headphones.

Just get a jack splitter and connect your headphones to the splitter and just turn them off when you aren't using them.
5930K @4.5
ASUS Rampage 5 Extreme X99
16 Gbs Corsair Dominator 2666Mhz RAM
Two, EVGA Nvidia Titan X's in SLI
Samsung XP941 M2 512 Gb M2 boot drive
EVGA SuperNOVA P1200 PSU
Case Labs Merlin Full Tower
NZXT Kraken X61 AiO CPU cooler with four 140mm Noctura Industrial fans
Overlord Tempest O27X Monitor @ 118 Hz

Well I have the same problem as the main subject, I even have my front audio connectors connected, I am using ASUS ROG STRIX B350-F Gaming. My 2.1 Speaker system is connected to rear green jack and when I connect my headphone and mic jacks on the front It accepts that too but don't give and option to select one of them as default one so I can just select my output and go and because of this I always need to plug-in and out my headphones and mic everytime I want to use them. I guess That's why GIGABYTE and MSI are holding first and second place respectivly in the world in sales.

DarkTech wrote:
Well I have the same problem as the main subject, I even have my front audio connectors connected, I am using ASUS ROG STRIX B350-F Gaming. My 2.1 Speaker system is connected to rear green jack and when I connect my headphone and mic jacks on the front It accepts that too but don't give and option to select one of them as default one so I can just select my output and go and because of this I always need to plug-in and out my headphones and mic everytime I want to use them. I guess That's why GIGABYTE and MSI are holding first and second place respectivly in the world in sales.

That is a different problem that You can easy fix, but please let me know if you ever managed to plug BOTH headphones and speakers at the same time on the rear ports only. on my Z170 or Z270 i cannot but was hoping they improved in this in the newer versions (Z390 etc). If not I will be forced to buy from MSI when I am upgrading since I despise front audio jacks.

To fix Your problem though: Open up the SupremeFX software, then click on the "Cogwheel" up in the right corner and go to "Alternatives". From there you have to choose the option: "Make front and rear output devices playback two different audio streams simultaneously". This will enable You to connect a Headphone on the front without getting your rear audio jack disabled 🙂

Then in Windows 10 you can click the default audio icon down to the right near the time/date and choose what output device You want to listen from. This way You can easily switch between the two with just a click 😄