cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEW STRIX GTX 980 Ti crippled revision anyone?

Velxerz
Level 7
Hi all guys! I've finally got my Asus STRIX GTX 980Ti DC3OC card and obviously I was tweaking it in no time. In the first 10 minutes of messing around with GPU Tweak 2, GPU-Z, Valley Benchmark and 3D Mark 11 I noticed something very strange about my card:GPU Tweak 2's voltage offset slider is set to a maximum of +50mV, it should have been +87mV. Even more strange is the fact that no matter what I set that slider to, the GPU will work at 1.200V under load. I instantly looked online for some kind of infos andI've found out a lot of you guys have your STRIXs locked to 1.212V if I'm not mistaken. I download a stock vBIOS from TPUP's archive and begin comparing it with all the unlocked vBIOSes I've found online. Well, they all match and there is not even ONE, nor stock nor custom, that is compatible with my card. I then proceed to compare all those vBIOSes with mine and it is so damn different from all ofthe others. It looks like it's from a completely different card, but it's a STRIX GTX 980Ti DC3OC, same as the others and I double checked everything. Online reviews, overclocking guides, everything! This card should be able to get to +87mV, 1.212V out of the box. Well, mine can't. It's hard capped at 1.200V no matter what, the voltage is ALWAYS stuck at 1.200v under load. Now the fun part: I'm from Italy, and another italian user I've found on an italian overclocking forum has the exact same vBIOS (version 84.00.36.00.81 AS10 as GPU Tweak 2 says), exact same absurd limitation. I've used Maxwell Bios Tweaker to analyze a copy of my vBIOS and mine even has fewer CLK states active, the "Boost Table" tab goes up to 68 instead of 74, this is driving me crazy. The card can't be overclocked by asingle MHz over the stock 1216/1317/1418MHz freq, I get artifacts on 3D Mark 11 at 1220/1321/1422, only FOUR MHz more than stock and I get artifacts and heavy coil whine and the other italian guy with my same BIOS is in this exact situation too. I'm thinking about an RMA, so I have not touched the vBIOS from my card (only backed that up using GPU-Z), but this all looks like I've got a new, crippled revision of the STRIX. The vBIOS is in fact 8 days more recent than all the others I've found online. Please help me.
4 REPLIES 4

lpiotrowski211
Level 7
Did you have random rattle noise from card on low fan speeds? I have this problem. Card is the same 980 Ti strix.

lpiotrowski211 wrote:
Did you have random rattle noise from card on low fan speeds? I have this problem. Card is the same 980 Ti strix.

Hi,

I had zero problems with the cooling system actually, it didn't make strange noises. It sufferend from quite a bit of coil whine at high loads, specifically at over 105% power limit, but aside from that no strange sounds coming from the card. Would you please check the ID of your vBIOS using GPU-Z or even GPU Tweaker 2 and let me know about that? Plus it would be useful to know where you're from, since it looks like those models are only sold in europe. Thanks in advance.

Kotronas
Level 9
Try DDU and a fresh NVIDIA instalation ohhh and check if the card is fitted well on the pcie. I had a similar problem. My strix 980 ti it didn't allow me to increase the vram, it didn't even take the OC profile from tweak it was reverting to the stock. After using DDU to remove drivers I removed the card and put it in again , and with the new instalation all was fine again.
You can try it. It may help

Kotronas wrote:
Try DDU and a fresh NVIDIA instalation ohhh and check if the card is fitted well on the pcie. I had a similar problem. My strix 980 ti it didn't allow me to increase the vram, it didn't even take the OC profile from tweak it was reverting to the stock. After using DDU to remove drivers I removed the card and put it in again , and with the new instalation all was fine again.
You can try it. It may help

Hi, thanks for the help but I've talked to 4 other people online with the same exact problem as me and they have the same vbios on their STRIX 980Ti, so I'm pretty sure it is the card or the vBIOS version to cause problems. This is ridicolous, it's getting me really angry, the card cannot be overclocked by a single MHz from stock without bumping into instability issues yet on the back of the box is a giant graphic about how easy it is to overclock a STRIX past the stock OC profile.